Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2010, 08:53 AM

2 posts, read 8,871 times

Advertisements

Good morning people. I'm new to the forums so please excuse me if I'm posting this in the wrong section.

First, let me start off by saying that my best friend and I (both 17 year old males, single). We are thinking of moving to Gainesville, Florida for college after high school (we graduate next January due to credits, so we plan to move late April to early May).

We are into the night life, social hot spots, great scenery and a lot...a lot of cute girls

Lol. Well...we know about the heat and whatnot but id like to know...is Gainesville the right place for us?

My friend plans to major in education while I plan to major in Business Management.

Definitely plan to rent a 2 bedroom apartment [each of us paying exactly half]

Also, are the beaches as beautiful as they are in the pictures?

EDIT: We are both just tired of the winters and we reallllyyy dislike the area [suburban with very little to do in terms of social activities]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 09:40 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,748,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaos View Post
Good morning people. I'm new to the forums so please excuse me if I'm posting this in the wrong section.

First, let me start off by saying that my best friend and I (both 17 year old males, single). We are thinking of moving to Gainesville, Florida for college after high school (we graduate next January due to credits, so we plan to move late April to early May).

We are into the night life, social hot spots, great scenery and a lot...a lot of cute girls

Lol. Well...we know about the heat and whatnot but id like to know...is Gainesville the right place for us?

My friend plans to major in education while I plan to major in Business Management.

Definitely plan to rent a 2 bedroom apartment [each of us paying exactly half]

EDIT: We are both just tired of the winters and we reallllyyy dislike the area [suburban with very little to do in terms of social activities]
Don't you pick the college first and the town comes along with it? I don't think you should be selecting a college based on the night life. Also, you won't find any beaches, it is not on the coast.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:37 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:

There are a couple of colleges in town so the town is quite lively with bars and other venues that cater to the students i`d imagine you could have a lot of fun in this beautiful old city.Gainesville, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Scenery? lot of farms outside of town
Beaches?No beaches anywhere near Gainesville, Nearest beach would be St Augustine Beach two hour drive to the east.
Are you sure you dont have Gaineseville mixed up with some other city in Florida.
Heres some pics to give you an idea of what Gainesville looks like,note Gainesvilles proximity to the ocean on the maps.
Gainesville Florida - Google Search

Last edited by jambo101; 05-12-2010 at 01:53 PM..

Old 05-12-2010, 08:08 PM

96 posts, read 357,868 times
Oh Come ON. Take some advice from a life long Florida resident. DO NOT MOVE TO GAINESVILLE. Good god. I CAN'T EXPRESS, HOW AWFUL IT IS.

UF Has ugly girls for one, not to be rude, but UF is in Gainesville, and the girls are not very pretty.
No beaches in site of the awful TOWN.

Tallahassee may be what you want.
250,000 People
Home to FSU & FAMU & TCC
Capital
FSU Voted for prettiest girls
Right next to beach

Old 05-13-2010, 01:11 AM

24 posts, read 61,566 times
I just graduated from UF with a biz degree so I think I am capable of answering your questions fairly accurately.

If you want to major in business just for the sake of it, I would opt for something different. When I was attending Finance was the big ticket before the crash. I wanted that major because it seemed to pay. Now we know the industry is fueled mainly by greed. If I were you I would think of a particular business you are interested in, gain some experience, then go to school. I just could not justify spending out of state money for the education I received. Ask yourself, what do I enjoy? I believe the main problem with education these days is that so much time is spent on leading kids up to the point to attend college rather than cultivating your interests.

With that being said here are some more specifics about the school. and surrounding area:

The closest beach to Gainesville is 1.5 hour away in St. Augustine. My last trip there I hit a deer. Remember, this is in Florida. Jacksonville is the same distance and is much nicer. I'd opt for there.

The nightlife is damn good, but is mostly fueled around drinking. There is an awesome music scene (Tom Petty and Sister Hazel hail from Gville) and house parties galore on any given night. If you're into the Greek thing there is plenty of that was well. UF was voted number one party school when I attended. We won four sports championships when I was there and I feel like I should write a damn book. Not many people experience that and you wont either. Dont make that part of your decision.

The scenery around gainesville is great, in the female and nature sector. I had experiences with all different types of young women--asian, hispanic, italian, jewish and even locals. I agree with FSU guy up there that seminole girls are stupid hot, literally. They're just dumb. If you have the intelligence to get into UF, I'd opt for it, but make sure you buckle down since an average FSU grad and UF grad are on pretty much level playing fields.

The natural surroundings are so much better than what I am use to in South Florida. Yea the beach is down here but Gainesville has natural springs, awesome bike trails (on and off road), lots of open spaces, more foilage, better climate, etc. There are local markets to get locally grown food and even more one off restaurants that cook it. UF even has its own lake where you can go sail and wakeboard. Just beware of the gators!

Apartment and houses are abundant and can be had for relatively cheap. My last roommate and I lived in a 3/2 with a shed, backyard, and 100 foot tall pinetrees in the yard for 1050 month plus utilities. There are resort style apartments that are PARTY PARTY and then there are low key places. It all depends on what you want.

Some other points about UF to consider:
-There is a new major at UF called "Sustainability" which seems really cool given our current situation.
- there are 50,000 students. How are you going to stand out? I sometimes think a smaller school would of been better, but at the same time, UF is the same as the real world, a jumbled mess.
-Brand new state of the art gym opening up sometime later this year
-BIG drug scene. If you are weak willed, you may want to look elsewhere.
-dont go to FSU
-Lots of churches, Are you saved?

In all I knew a lot of people who were out of state and they mostly seemed surprised that Gainesville wasn't like the post cards they have seen of Florida. To me Gainesville is what REAL Florida is all about.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:02 AM

2 posts, read 8,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckummer View Post
I just graduated from UF with a biz degree so I think I am capable of answering your questions fairly accurately.

If you want to major in business just for the sake of it, I would opt for something different. When I was attending Finance was the big ticket before the crash. I wanted that major because it seemed to pay. Now we know the industry is fueled mainly by greed. If I were you I would think of a particular business you are interested in, gain some experience, then go to school. I just could not justify spending out of state money for the education I received. Ask yourself, what do I enjoy? I believe the main problem with education these days is that so much time is spent on leading kids up to the point to attend college rather than cultivating your interests.

With that being said here are some more specifics about the school. and surrounding area:

The closest beach to Gainesville is 1.5 hour away in St. Augustine. My last trip there I hit a deer. Remember, this is in Florida. Jacksonville is the same distance and is much nicer. I'd opt for there.

The nightlife is damn good, but is mostly fueled around drinking. There is an awesome music scene (Tom Petty and Sister Hazel hail from Gville) and house parties galore on any given night. If you're into the Greek thing there is plenty of that was well. UF was voted number one party school when I attended. We won four sports championships when I was there and I feel like I should write a damn book. Not many people experience that and you wont either. Dont make that part of your decision.

The scenery around gainesville is great, in the female and nature sector. I had experiences with all different types of young women--asian, hispanic, italian, jewish and even locals. I agree with FSU guy up there that seminole girls are stupid hot, literally. They're just dumb. If you have the intelligence to get into UF, I'd opt for it, but make sure you buckle down since an average FSU grad and UF grad are on pretty much level playing fields.

The natural surroundings are so much better than what I am use to in South Florida. Yea the beach is down here but Gainesville has natural springs, awesome bike trails (on and off road), lots of open spaces, more foilage, better climate, etc. There are local markets to get locally grown food and even more one off restaurants that cook it. UF even has its own lake where you can go sail and wakeboard. Just beware of the gators!

Apartment and houses are abundant and can be had for relatively cheap. My last roommate and I lived in a 3/2 with a shed, backyard, and 100 foot tall pinetrees in the yard for 1050 month plus utilities. There are resort style apartments that are PARTY PARTY and then there are low key places. It all depends on what you want.

-There is a new major at UF called "Sustainability" which seems really cool given our current situation.
- there are 50,000 students. How are you going to stand out? I sometimes think a smaller school would of been better, but at the same time, UF is the same as the real world, a jumbled mess.
-dont go to FSU

In all I knew a lot of people who were out of state and they mostly seemed surprised that Gainesville wasn't like the post cards they have seen of Florida. To me Gainesville is what REAL Florida is all about.
Well...we both plan to attened community colleges for the first two years then transfer to a university [we both are going after our masters in our majors].

Hmm. Well...since you guys are more familiar with the area than I ever will..maybe these requirements would help [so lets just take gainesville out of our minds]:

- PARTIES...A LOT.
- Girls...Pretty ones
- Beaches in the area xD
- Community Colleges with Transfer programs [not sure if ALL have them]
- Socialable people
- Affordable Apartments
- Good employment ratee

Sorry if it seems as if im rushing...i kind of am.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:53 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckummer View Post

-dont go to FSU

Good summary

Old 05-13-2010, 05:39 PM

24 posts, read 61,566 times
Quote:
Well...we both plan to attened community colleges for the first two years then transfer to a university [we both are going after our masters in our majors].

Hmm. Well...since you guys are more familiar with the area than I ever will..maybe these requirements would help [so lets just take gainesville out of our minds]:

- PARTIES...A LOT.
- Girls...Pretty ones
- Beaches in the area xD
- Community Colleges with Transfer programs [not sure if ALL have them]
- Socialable people
- Affordable Apartments
- Good employment ratee

Sorry if it seems as if im rushing...i kind of am.
Did you not read my post? Google map UF. You'll see how not close to the beach it is. Beaches suck anyways. Its where dirt meets water, meets nothing. ~Bill Hicks

Employment rate is good. I worked at an apartment complex which covered my rent and earned me nice commissions on leases I signed. There are plenty of jobs on campus, in restaurants, bookstores, etc. I'd find a job in your desired field so you can start gaining some tangible experience. Plus, if you decide you don't like it, you can move on without having invested the time and money.

I wouldn't waste money on going out of state for community college. The whole point of a CC is to stay in your community and gain some knowledge without the added stress of being on your own for the first time. Something like 90% of students in Canada attend local college for all four years. It's one of the reasons they are considered more educated. Unless your parents are doing meth and beating you, they aren't as bad as you think. TRUST ME, it's a good idea. I know lots of people who couldn't get in who followed their friends to UF banking on attending CC then transferring. They ended up wasting a lot of time. Yea yea, your area might suck but you probably aren't exploiting it as much as you can. CC can help you do that. Plenty of smart people, Ross Perot for example, start, and even finish school, while in a CC. It is very difficult to get into UF from Santa Fe CC, its main feeder school.

Rather than PARTY, think PASSION. What do you think will drive you to wake up in the morning? Parties will only do that for so long until you find yourself waking up at 3pm with a lot of other people who have no clue who they are nor what they are doing. Money will only do that for so long too. Trust me, I've been there. When you have a PASSION, PUS*SY will naturally follow. (Sorry ladies I'm trying to use P's) Women love when you are confident and are working towards something, even if it's something dumb like building the best holiday train set.

You're rushing but life isn't a rush my internet friend. We all end up in the same place...I should be a damn advisor.

Your post reminds me of how naive I was
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida