Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 09:05 PM

267 posts, read 447,767 times

Advertisements

I have a question regarding the left lane on Florida highways. WHY IS IT USED AS A TRAVEL LANE HERE?!?!? In CT, where im from, the signs clearly designate the left lane as a passing lane only. You are supposed to pass the slower moving vehice(s) and then move back into the lane to the right. You can get pulled over(in CT), if you are spotted by a police officer, for commuting in the passing lane. I think in most states this is understood as common practice and is part of road manners. It keeps things moving steadily as well... In florida however, I not only see people commuting in the left lane, usually at a slow rate of speed(some who switch lanes to let you though and some who are oblivious..), but I've also noticed that the signs say "Slower Traffic Keep Right". Whether or not that is even followed regularly is disputable enough as it is but my question is... Is it even unlawful to commute, for an extended period of time, in the left lane here in Florida? If so, why do so many people do it? Could this be a sign of or contributing factor to the terrible driving that occurs down here?

Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 09:31 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,211,164 times
Well here in Orlando, the only "real" freeway I consider to be legit is I-4. All the other roads here are toll roads, their not really considered freeways like in larger cities, therefore the rules don't really apply. Some sections here might as well be freeways, like the south access road to MCO, but I travel in the left lane all the time. If they want to pass me then they can go in the right lane, since they're not "officially" highways. And if I pay a toll, I will drive in whatever lane I want. That's how I see it.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:39 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
Well here in Orlando, the only "real" freeway I consider to be legit is I-4. All the other roads here are toll roads, their not really considered freeways like in larger cities, therefore the rules don't really apply. Some sections here might as well be freeways, like the south access road to MCO, but I travel in the left lane all the time. If they want to pass me then they can go in the right lane, since they're not "officially" highways. And if I pay a toll, I will drive in whatever lane I want. That's how I see it.
Oh ok...

Old 05-05-2010, 01:26 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,288,814 times
Aren't the roads in CT tolled as well??

Old 05-05-2010, 03:54 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
. And if I pay a toll, I will drive in whatever lane I want. That's how I see it.
That attitude is gonna come back and bite you in the ---- as sooner or later some one with a similar dumb attitude takes issue with your rational and runs you off the road.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:18 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
It's all about you, isn't it?

Old 05-05-2010, 06:28 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLees View Post
I have a question regarding the left lane on Florida highways. WHY IS IT USED AS A TRAVEL LANE HERE?!?!? In CT, where im from, the signs clearly designate the left lane as a passing lane only. You are supposed to pass the slower moving vehice(s) and then move back into the lane to the right. You can get pulled over(in CT), if you are spotted by a police officer, for commuting in the passing lane. I think in most states this is understood as common practice and is part of road manners. It keeps things moving steadily as well... In florida however, I not only see people commuting in the left lane, usually at a slow rate of speed(some who switch lanes to let you though and some who are oblivious..), but I've also noticed that the signs say "Slower Traffic Keep Right". Whether or not that is even followed regularly is disputable enough as it is but my question is... Is it even unlawful to commute, for an extended period of time, in the left lane here in Florida? If so, why do so many people do it? Could this be a sign of or contributing factor to the terrible driving that occurs down here?

Thx
I have to comment on this one. We constantly make trips up and down I-95 and I-75. This situation is NOT unique to Florida.
Sorry.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:00 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
OP - Its called lack of respect. People who use the left lane as a travel lane on the highways just don't care or respect the other drivers on the road. The left lane is suppose to be for passing. Yet some people just don't care, and force others around them. Cops don't do anything about it usually, I was behind a cop in the left lane one day, when we came up on a slow driver in the left lane, he went around him and then pulled in front of the slow driver and signaled to move over, the driver did. No ticket, no warning nothing. These drivers bother me, if you want to drive the speed limit or slower don't stay in the left lane on the highway.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:16 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
If they'd start to enforce traffic laws with fines, FHP could become a profit center rather than a cost center for the state.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:05 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,151,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
Aren't the roads in CT tolled as well??

No, they are not. I think many years ago they were, but now they aren't.

Also, our normal highways don't have signs I see saying the left lane is for passing. People travel in them all the time.

We do have one "highway" - a 2 laner (well, on each side) known as the Berlin Turnpike, the Wilbur Cross, or Merritt Parkway depending what part of the state you are in. When you are on the Merritt Parkway, there are signs indicating left is for passing and to stay right.

Maybe that is what OP means here. When you are on the Berlin Turnpike, it is all stores and very busy in that sense. When get on the Merritt, it is more highway, with just exits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida