Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 11:55 AM

1 posts, read 3,728 times

Advertisements

There are thousands of people trying to sell their real estate holding in Florida because they just can't afford it. This will create values to drop even more, forclosures and a crash in the market. A solution would be the elimination of the property taxes. Miami-dade is 2.5%, much higher than the average for the nation. The proposal is that they would raise sales tax by 3 Cents and get rid of property taxes all together. I own rental property there and live in California. If this was eliminated, I could afford to lower the rents by $300 and still be able to hang on to the properties. This would help renters as well as home owners. The proposal now, is that it would only benefit owner occupied homes, I really feel that it should be extended to all the investors, since the trickle down theory benefits all of us. Does anyone know, what I can do here in California to help pass this bill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 12:02 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,202,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsalsa View Post
There are thousands of people trying to sell their real estate holding in Florida because they just can't afford it. This will create values to drop even more, forclosures and a crash in the market. A solution would be the elimination of the property taxes. Miami-dade is 2.5%, much higher than the average for the nation. The proposal is that they would raise sales tax by 3 Cents and get rid of property taxes all together. I own rental property there and live in California. If this was eliminated, I could afford to lower the rents by $300 and still be able to hang on to the properties. This would help renters as well as home owners. The proposal now, is that it would only benefit owner occupied homes, I really feel that it should be extended to all the investors, since the trickle down theory benefits all of us. Does anyone know, what I can do here in California to help pass this bill?
unfortunately that proposal is dead and buried

Old 06-11-2007, 01:06 PM

93 posts, read 284,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsalsa View Post
Thanks for all your help

Old 06-11-2007, 01:48 PM

193 posts, read 489,761 times
Angry Letter for Crist

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridamove2 View Post
Thanks for all your help
Here is a copy of the letter I sent to Gov Crist this am. Feel free to modify, plagerize or just copy and paste but at least do something.

June 11, 2007

Dear Gov. Crist,

In the last election I voted for you based on your campaign promises. In the next election I will not be able to vote for you, in fact, I will be going out of my way to persuade others to do the same. Simply put, you did not keep your word.

I just received one my insurance renewals and it went UP 32%. Citizens sent me a 2% rebate after doubling last year. So much for reducing ins rates by 20% You said that property taxes should “fall like a rock” Since taxes on my rental homes have gone up just under 300% I fail to see where a 7% reduction equals falling like a rock. To add insult to injury the legislature is proposing a vote in 2008 for the possibility of further tax reductions. Basically this allows the local govts to keep giving us the shaft with high taxes for another two years and probably more. Taxes have gone up 300% but the population has increased 13% WHERE”S THE MONEY? Local govts’ are drowning in cash. I can tell you where some of it went in Sarasota. The sheriff has hired a bunch of his cronies at over 100K per year, they are “administrators” People are learning stuff like that everyday and are simple getting disgusted. You ( politicians )have gone too far.

But the real kick in the…. Is their plan to roll back assessments to 2006-2007. What kind of total nonsense is this? That was the peak of the boom and now they want to roll back to higher values than todays. I think both yourself and the legislature should start reading the local blogs and newspaper comment section. The sheeple are beginning to act like people. There is a very strong sentiment brewing out there regarding the next election. Basically, whoever you are, we are voting for the other guy irregardless of party affiliation. If you are in then we are voting you OUT!

You may have the teachers and civil unions behind you but there a lot more of us than them. It’s time for a tea party.

Most sincerely,

Old 06-11-2007, 03:17 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
AUDACIOUS - I couldn't agree with you more! I am 100% disgusted with Crist so far. Instead of things getting better, they are being made worse.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:29 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
I don't get it.

My mother-in-law's house has tripled in value, but her tax bill is very low due to SOH.

Y'all are saying your tax bills are outrageous. Why is that?

Old 06-11-2007, 03:48 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,743,008 times
What a dream world it would be to have no property taxes. That is just not rooted in reality. How do you propose fixing your roads, keeping police and fire services etc? I think getting a handle on Sheriffs that pay their buddies outrageous salaries is a good place to start.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:54 PM

I agree.

I just don't get it. Property taxes are not sky-high according to friends and family in Fort Myers.

Are you people that are complaining new to Florida or investors that don't live in those homes?

Old 06-11-2007, 03:55 PM

193 posts, read 489,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I don't get it.

My mother-in-law's house has tripled in value, but her tax bill is very low due to SOH.

Y'all are saying your tax bills are outrageous. Why is that?
If Mom wants to buy a smaller house to get some cash out of her bigger house she will probably end up paying 3X what she is paying in RE taxes now. In other words less will cost more.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:57 PM

In other words this is for recent buyers and investors.

So they are suppose to cut property taxes for you and to heck with the schools, police and fire department?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida