Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2010, 08:11 AM

14 posts, read 131,847 times

Advertisements

My wife and I, with our two kids (both under 3) are considering moving to FL, or Texas. I am self employed and can move just about anywhere so I am not worried about employment. I plan to do this in August.

I would consider leaving the country for a few years, but I do need to keep in contact with my North East Clients and occasionally I will need to see them, which means I will need to drive to see them.

So, I plan to keep my current home for now, but I eventually plan to move somewhere warmer, with better sunsets, less expensive to live, great foods, lots of sunshine, and more tax friendly environment.

What I think I should do is rent a home for a month in FLorida, somewhere along the upper, western gulf coast, near Panama City, or just east of it. I was hoping to rent a secluded home with lots of privacy.

In this way we can travel to various destinations in Florida, Louisiana, and Texas.

And, at the very least I can see some of the country with my wife and kids.

In addition, I would also like to be with in driving distance of the gulf beaches, so my wife can take the children there and test the warm water in order to see if she likes it. She is from south America and misses this. Also, I have two small dogs two that I would like to take with me.

So, I was wondering if people do rent for a month, at non vacation rental rates, and allow to do this with pets. And if so, where should I turn to look for these rentals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 08:41 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,475,403 times
You probably will not find a house to rent that has a lot of privacy and secluded to rent for just a month. You will probably find an apartment complex that you can rent from for a month.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:49 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,337,308 times
Go to vrbo.com. There are tons of houses for rent and many are available by the month. Depending on the time of year, many owners are more than willing to lower their asking rate if they are guaranteed rent for a whole month.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:59 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,863,803 times
Generally, prices fall very significantly in the off season for vacation rentals. So if you're thinking south Florida, rent in the summer, and if you're thinking north Florida, rent in the winter. (though you do get the worst of the weather that way)

Also late April through Memorial Day tends to be a slow vacation time so you can find deals during that time frame. September also tends to be slow on the vacation front, though you're at the peak of storm season that time of year.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:38 AM

793 posts, read 2,526,302 times
Yes you can but only in he vacation rental areas around Disney, I Drive areas as outside of these areas you must rent for 6 months 1 day which ends up being 7 months due to the 1 day over 6 months.

Hope this helps,

Old 04-26-2010, 11:29 AM

371 posts, read 1,192,022 times
How about looking for an "Executive" rental setup. These are often rented on a month to month basis. They are fully furnished, all utilities on, usually cable, etc. You pay a higher price of course, but if you just want a short stay that isnt a hotel these Executive setups might be what you're looking for. We had one in an apt. complex for four months once while my spouse was attending a school he needed. It had all brand new furniture, bedding, kitchen set up with microwave, all dishs, linens, etc. Everything was brand spankin' new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: