Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 09:38 AM

46 posts, read 209,384 times

Advertisements

My husband wants to retire in Florida. We have a large dog, German Shepherd, and need at least a third of an acre, 3 bedrooms, 2 baths. When I look for houses on the internet, it seems like most houses have no fences and very tiny lots.

I think we'd prefer to be closer to either coast and not as far north as the Pan Handle or below Sarasota.

We can spend around $250,000, but don't want HOA fees that are high.

Does this exist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 11:07 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,777,779 times
Yes. All over. www.trulia.com

Old 04-08-2010, 05:27 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,082,954 times
If you have specifics, then hit on a few realtors in different areas and ask them the question. They probably know where to look, the unfortunate thing about websites is that they dont always have the checkboxes for such details. It is frustrating when you are looking for a certain thing, as you are. On MLS there is usually a place for 'fenced' so a realtor can probably find them for you without going through all the rest. Good luck to you, hope you find your piece of paradise for you and the dog.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:08 AM

18,126 posts, read 11,768,302 times
The panhandle

Old 04-08-2010, 08:48 AM

1,500 posts, read 3,337,668 times
Most lots seem to be under a 1/4 acre but you can find larger just about anywhere if you look.

I recently picked up an intown acre with no homeowners' association (do not like them) but active code enforcement. Six-foot fenced in. In part because I love to garden but also I love dogs and will get another once I start a new career and settle in. Also this will be my retirement home if I ever want to retire again.

Just to note, that if you are moving from cooler climes, your pup will not be as active here in Florida, especially during summer, so that large lot might not be as necessary as you'd now imagine. Mostly, he'll just look at that nice big backyard, maybe chase one squirrel, and then head back into the air conditioning or to the pool for a dip. My last most amazing pet, a hybrid wolf shepherd, did not like Florida summers much at all. He used to tip over his water dish to make a puddle to cool off in. During the summer I'd only walk him very late at night or very early in the morning, before sunrise. In south Florida, even then I'd break out into a sweat. I prefer Tampa summer nights, which are, to me, noticeably cooler. (Also take note that hot asphalt burns paws.)

Especially as wolfpuppy aged, he slowed down considerably during summers. Then winter would come along and he'd again walk at a youthful pace. I had about a 1/4 acre then which he ran around in a lot as a pup, but not so much as he aged. So between the heat here and their relatively rapid aging, I don't feel that a huge property makes a huge difference in a hound's happiness.

Find a place you are going to like. The dog will make do(do). (Sorry about that, couldn't resist.)

Old 04-08-2010, 02:42 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,896,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Releve View Post
My husband wants to retire in Florida. We have a large dog, German Shepherd, and need at least a third of an acre, 3 bedrooms, 2 baths. When I look for houses on the internet, it seems like most houses have no fences and very tiny lots.

I think we'd prefer to be closer to either coast and not as far north as the Pan Handle or below Sarasota.

We can spend around $250,000, but don't want HOA fees that are high.

Does this exist?
Yup. There aren't a lot, but there are some. A realtor should be able to find one for you by searching the MLS.

We bought in the unincorporated part of Dunnellon on Rt 484 (closer to Ocala than to Dunnellon itself) -- we got an acre, fenced (but not dog-proof fencing -- as soon as we moved here, we put up a temporary run of the lanai until we get a pool put in, when we'll put in a permanent run), no HOA. We can put up a privacy fence if we want, but with the size of our lot, it would be cost-prohibitive.

We moved here with four dogs -- two Bassets, two Jack Russells. Our older Basset passed away two months ago, and never got to enjoy the warmer weather. She was a lounge lizard back in NJ -- on the hottest days, she'd lie on the patio in the sun, belly up, paws waving, or stretch out on the chaise on the lawn. Our remaining Basset loves the sun almost as much (I'll look outside to see her basking in the run like a lady of leisure), but the Jack Russells prefer the shade. That said, they don't stay outside -- they're house dogs, and ask to go outside and come in when they're ready.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:59 PM

509 posts, read 1,681,721 times
I guess I don't understand why the concern about having 2 large dogs. If you don't want to have to worry about having large dogs and don't want a HOA, don't live in a large city. The smaller towns and more rural areas have fences, dogs, cows, horses....... I guess you're looking in south Florida. Good luck down there. Some towns even tell you what breed you can have and some insurance companies will raise your home owners rates for certain breeds.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:23 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,663,806 times
In my area you can get what you are looking for in the $100,000 range
Go up to $250,000 and you get yourself a very nice house.
45-50 minutes from Tampa Airport
Plenty of shopping around but a little towards the semi-rural side.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:11 AM

1,343 posts, read 5,172,452 times
Most likely, you cannot get homeowners insurance if you own a German Shepherd, since they're on the "bad dog" list. Lie & say he's a mix.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:56 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,663,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg II View Post
Most likely, you cannot get homeowners insurance if you own a German Shepherd, since they're on the "bad dog" list. Lie & say he's a mix.
This is untrue. Some insurers do not even ask what breed of dog you have while others just don't cover the dog. Yes, some will not give a policy but to say someone would most likely not get a policy is false.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida