Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2010, 05:42 PM

491 posts, read 890,939 times

Advertisements

I just got back from one of my many trips over to that area. I live close-by in Daphne, so I'm only 1-1.5 hours away. I came over for a couple of days to enjoy the beach in the low season and get my last 2 nights of the year in at the Hilton to keep my Diamond status. Well, apparently there was a basketball tournament in town with most of the schools being from my area; so there were tons of large families everywhere. It was jam packed with the same type of people I'm trying to avoid when going there.

So I have to ask since I frequent the area mostly in the off-season, any locals willing to divulge where they get away from the tourists to go eat, go to the bar, etc.? Anyplace where the car-top carrying, large family SUVs with the bratty kids won't show up?

I realize some of them may be from my area (the vast majority being from Louisiana though), but I'm over there alot and consider myself local to the panhandle as well. I want to hit up the local joints and not feel like I'm in Disneyworld. I have lots of family in Pensacola and Gulf Breeze, and I hit up Navarre Beach alot; but when I'm in Destin it's always tourist hell it seems...no matter when I go. There has to be someplace where the locals go who won't lose their sanity in all the crap just to get a meal or a drink.

I tried to go eat at Pandora's in Grayton Beach, but it was closed....on a Tuesday night at 7pm! I discovered that place as being pretty quiet before. I've heard the Red Bar is good. Destin Chops 30-A is up there with Seagars in price.

Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 06:37 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,895,083 times
Nick's in the sticks. Go over the Mid-Bay Bridge and go east on Hwy 20, or go over the 331 Bridge and go west on Hwy 20. It's the one business on the bay side in a collection of houses FDOT identifies as Basin Bayou. The starches and sides are just mediocre, but the cook has a perfect touch with fish and seafood, and in terms of local color, it's hard to beat having chase the owner's chickens out of your parking spot before you park.

Any Thai restaurant in the area. (I like Jasmine Thai in the Destin Publix shopping center) Thais are the second largest Asian population in the area after Filipinos and the most likely to open restaurants. There's a place out in Mary Esther that manages to be a Thai/BBQ place, and one further out that does both Thai and Cuban.

Magnolia Grill isn't the best food in FWB (I like nearby Big City Bistro better) but it's the best place for people-watching and really popular with local movers and shakers. Also in FWB, Staff's for simply being around for 80+ years, Buffalo's Reef for wings, and Tijuana Flats (I know it's a chain but...) for Americanized Mexican.

When all else fails, get a sub or other sandwich from Publix or Fresh Market, and have a picnic at the beach.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:54 PM

440 posts, read 2,428,434 times
We will chime in from the 30A ......

Favorite Spots to Eat:
  • Gravel Road -- reopening soon, hopefully this month. Used to be in Grayton Beach but the new location is in the Seagrove / Lakewood area of 30A. Most favorite dish is the Fried Semolina Crusted Grouper Sandwich. It is luscious. Fresh made bread, homeade tarter, candied pecans and a huge slab of grouper. Comes with vegetables and usually mashed potatoes or a squash of some type. Our most favorite thing to have on the 30A -- we are thrilled they are re-opening!
  • Pizza Bar in Seaside. Yes, it's in the middle of the tourist but it's a great spot and the pizza is yummy.
  • Bud & Alley's in Seaside. Again, it's in the middle of the tourist on 30A but we've never had a bad meal there. Plus, it's one of the few spots you can have a drink upstairs and catch the sunset from the rooftop bar.

Local Bars:
  • Red Bar in Grayton Beach is always both a local and tourist favorite.
  • Bud & Alleys in Seaside
  • Pandoras in Grayton Beach
  • Shortys in Grayton Beach
  • Ballyhoos in Santa Rosa Beach
  • Bluz in Miramar Beach -- just west of Sandestin

Beach:
  • If you want a quiet beach, we highly recommend Topsail Beach State Park. There are a couple of different entrances to this park. It contains a couple of our rare coastal dune lakes. The lakes have trails that wind around through the dunes -- it's just lovely if you like nature and quiet.

The good news is that the beach is super quiet this time of the year. Some restaurants will close for winter due to lack of business but most places we've mentioned are open. We do have a Songwriter Festival coming up on the 15th of this month so you may see a slight increase in traffic for that weekend .... special concert by the Indigo Girls in Alys Beach ... looking forward to a fun music filled weekend.

Hope this info was somewhat helpful. If you need any more info, let us know.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:03 PM

491 posts, read 890,939 times
Thanks everyone. That helps alot! I'll know where to look when I'm over there again. I really liked Pandoras in Grayton when we went. It was extremely quiet in there, great meal, and it wasn't expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida