Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 09:24 PM

10 posts, read 396,919 times

Advertisements

We have been reading these forums and everything is so negative. Areas are bad, cant sell houses, school system is screwy, crime is high, everything is expensive...jeez!

Heres the deal. We are getting married in Sept and moving OR PLANNED ON MOVING lol down there in Jan / Feb . We are both 30 something and looking into the Port Saint Lucie area.

Is there anything postive you guys can tell us...especially about PSL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 09:30 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,304,946 times
Yes, everyone is lying because they want to keep you out of Florida..

There. The cat's out of the bag...

C'mon guy, there's truth to all that you read, but just be a little selective and know it's not as bad as the bad posts make it seem and not as much of a paradise as the good posts do.......

Old 05-02-2007, 09:32 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,174,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo1313 View Post
We have been reading these forums and everything is so negative. Areas are bad, cant sell houses, school system is screwy, crime is high, everything is expensive...jeez!

Heres the deal. We are getting married in Sept and moving OR PLANNED ON MOVING lol down there in Jan / Feb . We are both 30 something and looking into the Port Saint Lucie area.

Is there anything postive you guys can tell us...especially about PSL?

Do you have a job?

Old 05-02-2007, 09:35 PM

Yes I own my own company and work from home

Old 05-02-2007, 09:39 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,404,571 times
I have a friend who lives there and he says that it's nice but expensive. The good thing is that you won't be far from the attractions.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:40 PM

Atrractions?

Old 05-02-2007, 09:41 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,519,521 times
Take it for what it is worth for it is a public internet site. I am sure that there is a lot of truth but at the same time, I am SURE there are people purposely bashing FL to see the reaction it will get, etc.

FL is like ANY PLACE. It is what you make of it.

We are in SWFL (Punta Gorda/Port Charlotte) & it is not that bad at all. Home prices are no surprise & one can find a really good deal. Prop taxes also no surprise. HOI...now, that is a mess. Very expensive. Jobs are questionable; depends on what you do. Yet, tell me where there is 100% job security b/c I would want to be there

It's not perfect but it is also not the hellhole some people seem to make it sound like.

Take some time to explore the areas you are wanting to move to, etc & get a good feel for it IN PERSON.

Don't let jaded people sway you one way or the other. Heck, there are jaded & bitter people in every place, every where.

If YOU want it to work here, it can. If you know what you are getting yourself into, then you will not sound like the broken record of some posters on the site.

Good luck. Take your time.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:43 PM

45 posts, read 211,769 times
There are good parts of Florida. I would stay away from the Orlando area. I live in Lake County and I been up this way for the last 6 yrs and we have had no problems. You can still drive to get to downtown Orlando about a 35-45 minute drive depending on traffic. If you are planning on raising a family down here I would say it wouldn't be a good thing. The schools are not very good in some areas and crime is bad, we rent and would love to buy a house but with the insurance and taxes and the cost of it all is just terrible and some of the reasonable houses are in bad areas and old homes. There is good and bad in every state, just make sure you do some research before you just pack your bags and head on down here.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:45 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,174,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo1313 View Post
Yes I own my own company and work from home

If you have a job (own company) everything depends on your approach to the move. The best approach is to visit PSL and evaluate the location. Based on your needs contact the Police dept, School Distric, local utility company and get info for yourself.

We provide a lot of info in the forum, but sometimes the presentation is far from reality (depending on the individual post). Some members like Florida and understant that is not a perfect place and we must make adjustments to stay here (reality). Others can't make adjustments and present at times a worst situation than what it is.

So get your research and evaluate the 50 plus members posting here while the remaining 17 million residents don't say a word. The state has many superb locations, but you need to visit, evaluate and go forward with your decision.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:49 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,404,571 times
Disney, Bush Gardens, Kennedy Space Center, Sea World, Universal Studios.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida