Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 10:01 AM

3 posts, read 9,010 times

Advertisements

Hi

I am new to this board. I am trying to find out some information on moving to Orlando. I have been numerous amounts of times and I love it here. I love the climate, people and the general atmosphere.

I am currently studying to become a Qualified Nurse however after I qualift I would like to move to Florida. If I could do my training in Florida that would be great, but I understand that would hard.

Can anyone tell me where to start. I am really confused and I just do not know where to start.

Thanks and I hope you all can guide me in the right place.

Michelle
X
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2006, 10:07 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Hi Michelle and welcome to the board. First of all, do you have a counselor in your present school who could help you with your questions about doing your interning in Fla? OR if you don't, you may want to call your chosen hospital in Orlando and ask them if they could help you. The phone number should be in the Yellow Pages. If you're considering renting an apartment, rent.com or apartmentguide or rentnet are good sites for finding one. If you're not sure how far you'll be from the hospital, mapquest it. I wish I could offer you more suggestions, but I know someone will come along and help you. Good luck.

Oh, one more thing. You may want to read the Orlando Sentinel online. It should help you with apartments, jobs, etc.

Last edited by Marka; 07-14-2006 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 07-17-2006, 07:26 AM
geo

17 posts, read 102,958 times
I am not sure what part you are saying would be hard in moving here. My husband came here from Switzerland a few years ago. He was a full-time student. I do not work and we have one child to support. Okay, so THAT was a bit difficult! We also have a freind who came from Japan and is studying to be an engineer. He is living in poverty now, but he doesn't care since a better life as an engineer is just around the corner for him. It may not be as hard as you think if you plan carefully and consider all options before getting here.
was previously in the medical field (Clinical Reviewer) working in hospitals since 1990. I am pretty sure there is an RN program (you did mean Registered Nurse, didn't you?) at Valencia Community College and one through Florida Hospital (407-303-5600 gets you to the Florida Hospital operator) As for renting while in school, you could rent a private room in someone's home near the college for less money. Our Japanese friend does that and does not even own a car. Real Estate is cheaper here and homes much larger so if you are only expecting to buy a home like the average home-size there, you'll probably be quite surprised at how affordable it is here. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. I have lived here since 1990 and have also lived in or traveled to most of the United States & between my husband and I, I think we've traveled to about 25 other countries (with him being more familiar with U.K.) I am actually interested in moving THERE to U.K., but I haven't researched it much, yet (wondering if the weather might be too much for me to take!). My husband wants to be closer to Switzerland but I don't prefer Swiss culture and, more importantly, the English language is my OZONE layer. Anyway, if you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. One thing that makes ME wonder if I should move to the U.K. is, well, I wonder about this question: "Why are SO MANY Brits wanting to come here?"

geo

Old 07-17-2006, 02:05 PM

8 posts, read 70,523 times
Smile Where to start

What school will you attend? Orlando is priced so high now you can't find anything reasonable it seems. We sold our home in Orlando and live just north in Lake County. This area is growing, but real estate is still reasonable. The town is called Sorrento. It's near Orlando, Deland, Gainesville -- wherever you go to school this should be a convenient location. British businessmen seem to like this area as well...I've met some in Mount Dora, as well as Clermont -- both in Lake County.

Old 07-17-2006, 04:17 PM
geo

17 posts, read 102,958 times
Default If you call...

hospitals, don't tell them what you want right off if you are already out of school. Ask them what they offer. They could very well be falling all over themselves to get you over here...happened to a friend of mine from there! I received a generous sign-on bonus when I went to work for them. They would likely offer you an attractive package to include a sign-on bonus of up to $6,000 and last time I saw their benefits package, I think they had offered a free cruise or maybe the cruise was for me the person who referred you there ;-) (can't remember exactly what that deal was about). I'm not sure I've seen insurance benefits exceed what you'd get at Florida Hospital. Just don't pay to get disability insurance or life insurance from them or from any employer in the United States if you're able to get a private policy instead. BTW, about real estate: If you're young & single and just starting out here, buying a home right now is likely NOT the best way to go (even though it's a buyer's market/unless you've got a lot of cash!) if you can deal with the cheaper alternatives.

Anyway, good luck to you!

geo

Last edited by geo; 07-17-2006 at 05:02 PM..

Old 07-21-2006, 08:31 AM

Hi

Thanks for the advice. My local university has advised me to do my training over here, but I cant start until September 2007 I am not sure if the nurses in the USA require a nurse to have a Diploma or Degree. I need to speak to a hospital in Florida just for entrance reqiurements. It looks like instead of being able to do my training in Central Florida I will have to wait now until 4-5 years .

I am really interested in moving to Florida. I am even thinking of perhaps January selling my current house and buy a villa in Florida and rent a house in the UK so at least we would only have 1 mortgage payment to make and we could try and make a profit on the house until then. However my dh is not convinced and wants to wait until I am qualified until we make any moves on selling up. I just cant wait I have a dream and just want it now.

Would I be able to move out there and perhaps train? My local university said that the USA would only give a visa for a year, however the nurse training is 3-4 years. I doubt I would be able to do my whole training in Florida. Am I right that if I am fully qualified nurse I would not have a problem gaining a permenant visa due to nurse shortages. Over here at the moment we are sending alot of our foreign nurses back as too many people want to become a nurse and out of 60 qualified nurses who applied for thier local hospital only 14 got a job. Our health scheme at the moment is a shambles. So many redundancies. Hence why I am asking would it be possible to do my training in America?

Sorry to ramble and write a whole essay. I have so many questions.

Thanks for your help so far.

Old 07-21-2006, 09:29 AM

566 posts, read 2,058,255 times
Do more homework..& yes you need a license - though, there are lots of incentives now to attract nurses. It's a great paying job, too. I'd speak directly with a nursing school (or even local hospitals) at whichever area you choose in FL & something might be out there for you. We are in a severe nursing shortage in the U.S....it's going to become a crisis in the not so distant future if we don't get more nurses, due to a high population of retiring baby-boomers. I know that down here in Miami we have lots of nurses from the Phillipines, Jamaica, etc. so something is changing. Lots of locals are taking advantage of the quick trainings being offered. Over at Mercy Hospital (other Hospitals are following this trend, too) they have in-Hospital training & in 1 yr or less you become an fully licensed LPN (licensed practical nurse) which is a step above a Nurses Aide. Once you get your LPN license, there is a stepped up program to become a full fledged RN (registered nurse).

Old 07-21-2006, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu
Do more homework..& yes you need a license - though, there are lots of incentives now to attract nurses. It's a great paying job, too. I'd speak directly with a nursing school (or even local hospitals) at whichever area you choose in FL & something might be out there for you. We are in a severe nursing shortage in the U.S....it's going to become a crisis in the not so distant future if we don't get more nurses, due to a high population of retiring baby-boomers. I know that down here in Miami we have lots of nurses from the Phillipines, Jamaica, etc. so something is changing. Lots of locals are taking advantage of the quick trainings being offered. Over at Mercy Hospital (other Hospitals are following this trend, too) they have in-Hospital training & in 1 yr or less you become an fully licensed LPN (licensed practical nurse) which is a step above a Nurses Aide. Once you get your LPN license, there is a stepped up program to become a full fledged RN (registered nurse).

Wow thanks Lulu. I will definately have a look on the net tonight and email a few schools and hospitals. If I could do my training in the USA that would be fantastic. Thanks again. I will let you know how I got on.

Old 07-21-2006, 09:59 AM

566 posts, read 2,058,255 times
Good luck!!!!!!!!

Old 09-18-2006, 12:48 AM

1 posts, read 3,008 times
Hi Michelle,
Have you start looking for agency that could help you land a job in Orlando, Florida? pls. let me know.
Lina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida