Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 10:48 PM

471 posts, read 1,661,270 times

Advertisements

[quote=Floridabound09;632271]The purpose of this thread is to ask the following questions.

For those who moved to Florida from somewhere else and have been there for awhile could you please answer some of these and also add your own tidbits as well.

1. Where did you come from and how long have you been in Florida

Pittsburgh, Pa-almost 8 mos.

2. What was the most important reason you moved to Florida?

It was always our plan to move somewhere south of Va and near the beach after we retired. Neither one of us are 65 yet, but we decided that with careful budgeting we could do it with reduced SS and pensions.

3. What make you pick the area you moved?
The carolina's were still a little chilly and we couldn't afford Charleston. Myrtle was too much sprawl and traffic. We do like areas of the panhandle, but our daughter was here, we came to visit and once we saw all the beautiful areas in Tampa Bay that was it.

4. How long did it take you to get comfortable with the move?
Uhmm, oh about 5 minutes.

5. If you had to do it over again would you still move, if no, would you have chosen another area in Florida?

Yes, yes,yes!

6. Is your "overall " life better or worse in Florida then where you moved from?

Much better, even on a budget we are able to rent MORE house than we had at home with less expense. No taxes, insurance, worry about replacing appliances or repairs on a home- I'm beginning to think we'll never buy again.
Cost of living is lower-fresh fish for $6.99 a pound, etc. We get more exercise, eat healthier and have incredible beaches, gorgeous scenery to look at all the time. And how can you get depressed when the sun shines brightly all the time.

7. Would you recommend others move to Florida?

It depends on what is important to you. If you don't like heat, then no don't choose Florida. If you like all those things those of us who are happy talk about as positives, then yes.

If you don't like heat, the beach, bugs, et. but must make a decision based on a career or family, then carefully consider and weigh the negatives and positives before making it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 10:54 PM

923 posts, read 3,513,393 times
Thumbs down Florida Is Not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Didn't really get a "choice" per se. It was dh's job promotion that if not taken would have not been a wise move professionally.

Did I want to move to FL? No.

Can I spend the rest of our time here being miserable about the taxes, heat, humidity, illegal immigrants, traffic, homeowners insurance (feel free to add)..sure...

But I am not. We are in SW FL. We will make the best of it.

We are originally from the northern states. It does take some time to get use to here, but we've been in the south for some time now.

Coming from where we were for the past 5 yrs (central TX)...this place is very nice! It has its good & bad like anywhere. We are prior military & if one has lived on a military post, most civilan places are far better.

I think that any person moving anywhere needs to know what they are moving into & what they have as backup to generate income.

It's the PERSON that makes the situation work.
The South...Not the South Dang it...

Old 04-26-2007, 10:56 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Cultural Diversity - if you are racist...don't come...here in Orlando, we have 'little china" in the Mills/50 area, we have african american culture in the Eatonville area, we have 'little mexico' in the 436/50 area, florida cracker rednecks in Bithlo.... I live in a new relatively small community of 300 homes and I have neighbors of every type.....European descent white anglo, African American, New York Jewish, Southern Redneck, Oriental, Muslim, Spanish, Islanders, British, Indians from India, etc. It's great![/quote]

Thank you for adding that! And the same goes for Jax: If you are racist, don't come!

Old 04-27-2007, 03:31 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times

Denver, Colorado, been here 17 months

Was ready for a change, tired of cold and snow, the husband found what we thought was a good job, I missed the beach

We had been here before and thought the future was in northwest Florida

About a year

5. If you had to do it over again would you still move, if no, would you have chosen another area in Florida?
Well, our circumstances are not the same as they were when we came out here. The husband lost his job last summer.
The economy and taxes etc are a concern. However, neither of us have any regrets, and now he has a new job and we are moving to northeast Florida. We sure don't want to go back to Colorado. I really have not been homesick.

6. Is your "overall " life better or worse in Florida then where you moved from?

In some ways, better, in some ways, not. The traffic situation is excellent.
FRESH seafood! And I've been swimming all winter.
I've never seen such gorgeous beaches, or more incredible wildlife, and the state park is gorgeous.
However.
This is a VERY small town. Healthcare is minimal, ditto shopping/groceries.
I think I will be happier when we make our move next month.

Yes--but do your research and preparation.
As others have said, do not expect perfection. It's Florida, it gets hot--duh.
Hurricanes happen. Bugs happen, and a shark or gator might happen as well.
But I do think that some of the other problems mentioned here occur elsewhere, and we all just have to acknowledge them and deal with them as best we can.

Old 04-27-2007, 05:59 AM

60 posts, read 107,429 times
For those who moved to Florida from somewhere else and have been there for awhile could you please answer some of these and also add your own tidbits as well.

North of Boston and we've been here for a little over 2 years.

Early retirement. No more snow.

A few years earlier a friend drove us around and we fell in love with where we are now.

In some ways, I'm still getting comfortable.

I'm happy where I am. The one thing we miss is being near a big city.

Better, much better.

Yes.

Many of us want and are looking to move to Florida and who better to ask them those who have done what we want, move from somewhere else to Florida then you guys.

Many posters on this board seem to be extremely happy with moving there, whether they moved 30 years ago or 6 months ago.

If you have any opinions/advise on anyone moving to Florida, what would they be?

Although I would like to keep this positive as possible, the bad is also welcome for those who have moved there, that way we all can judge for ourselves what you would consider bad or good and see if it would mean the same for us.

Input appreciated !

Please feel free to add your own info.

We like it here a lot. We enjoy having our family visit us and we enjoy our visits back to the northeast. We miss great restaurants, concert venues, and good shopping but we don't miss the traffic that these ammenities would bring. The way I see it, there's always tradeoffs in life.

Old 04-27-2007, 06:07 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,662,969 times
Thanks for all the great post !!

Exactly what I was hoping for, lots of " personal touch " thoughts.

Old 04-27-2007, 07:12 PM

55 posts, read 194,731 times
Default The newest one

Fort Worth, TX.....1 month

Year round summer, less temperature fluctuations, beaches, beaches, beaches.

We originally thought we'd settle in St. Pete, but once we crossed the Skyway bridge to Bradenton / Anna Maria Island we were hooked.

A minute

In a NY minute. If it is right for you, you'll know it. It's not all roses by any means, but other than missing the kids, it feels great.

6. [b]Is your "overall " life better or worse in Florida then where you moved from?
[b]
Much better. Hubby is making 2X what he made in TX and keeps getting better offers. He's a contractor/ handyman by the way. I got a job within 2 weeks of looking and they offered me even more than I asked for. Crazy. If you are willing to work, and have some decent skills, you'll have no problem.

Yes....BUT, just a few words to the wise:

a) Night and day between vacationing and living here full time.
b) You'll need lots of $ to get going if you do not have a job lined up when you get here. We got lucky. It could have been a very close call for us.
c) DO NOT pick a house, apt, town by looking at the internet. The pictures and discriptions are so deceiving. There are a lot of unsafe areas as there is in and around any city. Be careful. Don't commit to something you may not be comfortable with. Luckily we did not rent or buy before we got here. As I said earlier we originally thought we'd settle in ST Pete, but Anna Maria Island turned out to be what we were looking for. We love it.
d) I would not recommend SW FL to anyone with kids. I don't know anything about the schools, but the culture is not kid friendly from what I have seen.
e) Make sure if you move here for the relaxed lifestyle, but are not retired you know what you are in for. Luckily my husband is self employeed so we can MAKE our time. Don't get stuck working non stop to keep your head above water....you can do that anywhere.
f) Cost of living is much better than TX. We are so much better off financially. The only thing we will not be able to do is own a home again. I say this because we love the beach, but it would cost millions to own. We'll settle for our great rental just a block from the beach.

Good Luck.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:14 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,662,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake4sally View Post

Fort Worth, TX.....1 month

Year round summer, less temperature fluctuations, beaches, beaches, beaches.

We originally thought we'd settle in St. Pete, but once we crossed the Skyway bridge to Bradenton / Anna Maria Island we were hooked.

Awesome sight for sure, we often go back over it if we hit the sun going down at that time... what a view....

A minute -- Wow, my kind of reply !!

In a NY minute. If it is right for you, you'll know it. It's not all roses by any means, but other than missing the kids, it feels great.

Maybe your kids will follow !!!

6. [b]Is your "overall " life better or worse in Florida then where you moved from?
[b]

Much better. Hubby is making 2X what he made in TX and keeps getting better offers. He's a contractor/ handyman by the way. I got a job within 2 weeks of looking and they offered me even more than I asked for. Crazy. If you are willing to work, and have some decent skills, you'll have no problem.

Great !! Making more money then before. You hit it right on, if you are willing to work there are jobs everywhere..........no matter where you are.

Yes....BUT, just a few words to the wise:

a) Night and day between vacationing and living here full time.
b) You'll need lots of $ to get going if you do not have a job lined up when you get here. We got lucky. It could have been a very close call for us.
c) DO NOT pick a house, apt, town by looking at the internet. The pictures and discriptions are so deceiving. There are a lot of unsafe areas as there is in and around any city. Be careful. Don't commit to something you may not be comfortable with. Luckily we did not rent or buy before we got here. As I said earlier we originally thought we'd settle in ST Pete, but Anna Maria Island turned out to be what we were looking for. We love it.

Great advise !!!

d) I would not recommend SW FL to anyone with kids. I don't know anything about the schools, but the culture is not kid friendly from what I have seen.

e) Make sure if you move here for the relaxed lifestyle, but are not retired you know what you are in for. Luckily my husband is self employeed so we can MAKE our time. Don't get stuck working non stop to keep your head above water....you can do that anywhere.

f) Cost of living is much better than TX. We are so much better off financially.

This is something that seems no one post, thank you!!!!!! Just shows us that making the right choices like you did can turn out to be better overall.

Seems you are not only happy which is the important thing, but you are making more money then in Texas...

Ana Maria Island is paradise, guess you found that out !!

The only thing we will not be able to do is own a home again. I say this because we love the beach, but it would cost millions to own. We'll settle for our great rental just a block from the beach.

Being that close I would rent as well. That way you can spend time at the beach..........and not spent time working on your house!!!

Good Luck.
Thank you!!!!

Old 04-28-2007, 01:38 PM

10 posts, read 137,213 times
I am from Michigan been here in South Florida for about 4 years I think??

No jobs in Michigan =(

That is where I go the job

I'm still not

No I would not do it over again, I would have stayed in Michigan and collected pop cans for a living! BUT since I am here, I am looking in other parts of Florida..Ie Ft. Myers, Jacksonville....just Not South Florida (I am in Fort Lauderdale

Better as far as having a job - worse when it comes to my mental state of mind....this place is sucking the life out of me

Sure as long as it is not South Florida

Old 04-28-2007, 01:52 PM

4 posts, read 22,067 times
Default Living in Lake Placid

[quote=Floridabound09;632271]The purpose of this thread is to ask the following questions.
We came from Iowa two years ago.
To get away from snow, ice, cold weather. Also, to have an adventure since we lived in the same place most of our lives.
My brother had bought a house here and we visited a lot of Florida but decided to be close to him. It is more rural than I would have picked but I love it here most of the time.
Immediately, but we go north in the summer.
Yes, although I might consider the Sarasota area instead of inland.
No, just different. It is better in that I can relax more and worse because I miss some things more that I thought I would, such as family and old friends and nice shopping close by. I love the outdoors living in the winter though, the tropical plants and birds.
Only if they love it here when they visit!
Many of us want and are looking to move to Florida and who better to ask them those who have done what we want, move from somewhere else to Florida then you guys.

Many posters on this board seem to be extremely happy with moving there, whether they moved 30 years ago or 6 months ago.

If you have any opinions/advise on anyone moving to Florida, what would they be? My young niece and two friends packed up and moved to Fort Lauderdale without ever visiting there just after graduating from college. I think it has been a hard adjustment, but jobs weren't hard to get and they love the beaches and clubs.
Friendly optomistic people who enjoy life seem to meet others like themselves and will probably enjoy the good things about where they live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida