Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 07:48 PM

1 posts, read 10,078 times

Advertisements

I am trying to find out what happened to a piece of property owned by my mother (Margaret Louise Morgan Allen) who just passed away March 3, 2007. I have a document from General Development Corporation. The words "Port Charlotte Subdivision" are crossed out and replaced with "Port St. Lucie Subdivision". The lot # is 14, Block 217, Section 16. The form is dated 3/18/1959 and is signed by Doyle S. McCarty.

Would anyone have any idea how to pursue this lead? My mother did not leave sufficient information for me to thoroughly resolve this.

In advance, thank you.

Last edited by doggiebus; 10-03-2010 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: Best to leave off name
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 07:51 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
You should be able to call the county tax assessor's office and find out about it. If they don't have the information, they will tell you who does.

Much of that kind of info is also online.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:20 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,680,009 times
Strange:

port charlotte is on the west coast, and port st lucie is on the east coast.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:01 AM

93 posts, read 370,176 times
Here is the link to the Port Charlotte tax assessor
http://www.ccappraiser.com/
and here is the link to the Sarasota County tax collector
http://www.sarasotataxcollector.com/
Alot of the GDC development occurred right on the Sarasota/Port Charlotte county line. Good Luck

Old 08-30-2010, 04:45 PM

1 posts, read 6,992 times
Default any suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen534 View Post
I am trying to find out what happened to a piece of property owned by my mother (Margaret Louise Morgan Allen) who just passed away March 3, 2007. I have a document from General Development Corporation. The words "Port Charlotte Subdivision" are crossed out and replaced with "Port St. Lucie Subdivision". The lot # is 14, Block 217, Section 16. The form is dated 3/18/1959 and is signed by Doyle S. McCarty.

Would anyone have any idea how to pursue this lead? My mother did not leave sufficient information for me to thoroughly resolve this.

In advance, thank you.
A
Hi Mr Allen, I too have unearthed a document for " Port Charlotte Subdivision" from files of my deceased parents, dated 1958 with just a lot and block number ( it appears to be a contract for purchase of a parcel). Where you ever able to track your information down and would you mind passing along how you traced it ? Thank you, Lisa Adamson

Last edited by doggiebus; 10-03-2010 at 10:47 AM..

Old 10-03-2010, 02:59 AM

1 posts, read 6,876 times
Charlotte County has an excellent online interactive map, through which you can access all publicly available info on platted land, and even view copies of the deeds online. [url=http://www.ccgis.com/]Charlotte County GIS Department[/url] When you find the lot info online, click on the Account Number to find out the current status of that lot.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:54 AM

1 posts, read 3,521 times
Does anybody was able to track any piece of land sell by General Development Corporation in Florida in the 1980-1990. Does anybody track any inf. on those pieces of land. If we still own them or just loose them.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:44 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovesl View Post
Does anybody was able to track any piece of land sell by General Development Corporation in Florida in the 1980-1990. Does anybody track any inf. on those pieces of land. If we still own them or just loose them.
Tax records on the property would be the way to find it. You can track by the person's name who owned the property in most counties on line.

Check papers in your relatives file at home and bank etc for the proof they have paid taxes on the property since the year they bought it. If they weren't paying property taxes every year, it was probably sold for the back taxes.

Old 07-01-2016, 03:24 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,025 times
Charlotte co deed records are available on-line from about 1977 to now. I would start by looking in the tax records in both counties under the mother's name. If nothing shows up, check the deed records under her name as the Seller.

Old 07-01-2016, 04:46 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,304,719 times
The General Developement Corp was a huge landowner in Port St Lucie if my memory serves correctly ..back in the day the marketed it to retirees as " own a piece of the dream " and I believe you could buy a small lot for 10 down and 10 a month or something like that
They also owned and developed lots of Cities including Port Charlottee

Port LaBelle, Florida
Port Charlotte, Florida
North Port, Florida
Port St. John, Florida
Port Malabar, now a subdivision in Palm Bay, Florida
Port St. Lucie, Florida
Sebastian Highlands, Florida
Deltona, Florida
Key Biscayne, Florida
As each community began to be developed the developer built the roads, sewer and water plants, golf courses, marinas, other basic amenities and even operated landfills. These new communities had the feel of "company towns." When North Port was incorporated GDC employees even made up the first City Council.

In the 1960s GDC's board of directors hired Charles H. Kellstadt, retired Chairman of Sears as President and Chairman. This was just after the GDC board voted to split with the founding Mackle Brothers. The Mackles went on to develop Marco Island and other prominent communities.

Kelstadt, it was said, implemented a money back guarantee on homes and lots, similar to what Sears offered. This was a powerful sales tool, and combined with the ability to swap remote lots, or undeveloped lots, for lots in the developed areas, allowed GDC to achieve tremendous sales success, selling several thousand lots each month and several hundred homes. The lot swap program also allowed the company to manage construction schedules and defer construction of new lots. Customers who owned a lot in an as yet undeveloped section, could swap for a lot in a developed area.

By the 1970s the company boasted 5,000 employees and a global sales force.

In 1974, GDC was a publicly traded company. It was purchased and taken private by City Investing, George T. Scharffenberger, Chairman.

Then, in the mid 1980s City Investing took the company public again.

In the late 1980s GDC's management team was accused of fraudulent home sales: this led to criminal indictments of the company leadership, and bankruptcy of GDC in 1991. Functional assets held by GDC in various cities were turned over to their respective governments thereafter.

Subsequent to the indictments and convictions of senior management, the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals exonerated the men, reversing their convictions and directing that all charges against them be dismissed (see US v. Brown, 79 F.3rd 1550 (1996), for a complete discussion of the case and a general exoneration of General Development Corporation.

Port Charlotte/North Port Over several decades many general managers came and went, but locals would say, "Woody Hogan sold it, and John Stanton built it."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida