Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 04:27 PM

141 posts, read 752,183 times

Advertisements

Having lived in Florida, Kentucky, and Canada I'm puzzled at Florida's road-naming system. Nearly all of the roads near where I currently live are numerical (45th Avenue, SW 67th Ct., you get the idea). Everywhere else I've been, you might see a highway number every now and then, but most roads were named. Why is this? When were the numbers brought in?

I don't seem to recall all of the numerical roads back when I was in Fla. in the early '90s, but I wasn't driving then so maybe I just lived in ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 04:49 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
Since I was a child, the roads in Miami have all be numerical, some had names along with the numbers and still do. The only reason I can think why its done in numbers versus names, is it easier to find your way. If you are on 1st street and need to go to SW 20st you know you need to go south 20 blocks. Much easier than using names.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:16 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
It's only some parts of Florida that use that system. I know Miami, Gainesville, and Ocala do. However, most of Florida does not.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:42 PM

33 posts, read 291,595 times
And Bradenton uses the numerical system too. It made it extremely easy to find my way around when I moved there.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:13 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,733,752 times
Here is the deal.... When first developed areas like Miami, Ft. Lauderdale and West Palm Beach divided their city's along a East-West, North-South axis.

That created 4 zones NW, NE, SE and SW. There used to be a saying "TWA", meaning that Terraces, Ways and Avenues ran North/South. Everything else was East, West.

Now with that information you can find any address very easily. For instance; 4620 NW121 Terrace. Would translate, 40 Streets north of the East West axis, but before the 50th Street. The 121 Terrace would be 121 TWA's west of the North South axis, but before 122nd Ave.

Once you learn that, you could almost find anyplace down here with just the address. Problem is they like to dig canals and then don't build a bridge across it.

Get it?

Old 04-22-2009, 07:35 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Philly has numerics too, almost entirely in the downtown area. But like gregm said, down here you find a numeric then it stops....then the same numeric further north or south of where you were. It's confusing.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:26 PM

141 posts, read 752,183 times
I'm used to numerics, just not with the numbers as high as they are in Fla. Where I grew up in Ky. we had 2nd through 8th streets, but that was it (and there was no first street). In Fla. I live on 225th Street. Go figure.

How can you tell where the central part of the "grid" is?

Old 04-22-2009, 09:03 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
I love the numerical road names...I lived in Manhattan for a few years...and you can meet anyone anywhere at anytime. Just so simple.

I couldn't imagine having to memorize 1000 regular street names in Manhattan for example, and spending 30 minutes trying to figure out where you are and where you are going each time?

Old 04-22-2009, 09:12 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,733,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeoGratias View Post
I'm used to numerics, just not with the numbers as high as they are in Fla. Where I grew up in Ky. we had 2nd through 8th streets, but that was it (and there was no first street). In Fla. I live on 225th Street. Go figure.

How can you tell where the central part of the "grid" is?
I don't even know if they produce city maps any longer. LOL For that matter what I described above is "lost knowledge", as I never hear anyone talk about it. Here in Palm Beach County they have gone off that standard of old.

If you can get a city map it might be helpful. But be forwarded the lines won't have numbers. They will be named.

In Fort Lauderdale the east west line is Broward Blvd. The north south line is Andrews Ave. Go figger..

If you live in a small city it may well be Dixie Hyw. for the N. S. line. But I don't know where you live so can't give exact help.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:43 PM

343 posts, read 1,045,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Since I was a child, the roads in Miami have all be numerical, some had names along with the numbers and still do. The only reason I can think why its done in numbers versus names, is it easier to find your way. If you are on 1st street and need to go to SW 20st you know you need to go south 20 blocks. Much easier than using names.

Yeah it is. I hate going to cities and having to traverse a maze of named streets. Numbers are where its at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida