Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2011, 04:21 PM

247 posts, read 498,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Yes, that person did. Read the last line he or she wrote.

"Long live the real Florida with its remaining several million white Southerner population. May the fake, commercial, life is a beach Florida die a quick death."

The commercialization of Florida die. Not people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 07:03 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,771,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkayx333 View Post
"Long live the real Florida with its remaining several million white Southerner population. May the fake, commercial, life is a beach Florida die a quick death."

The commercialization of Florida die. Not people.
The "real Florida" is made up of white southerners, so that means the "fake Florida" is made up of everyone else who should die according to that board member.

Them are some nice values.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:51 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
Quote:
The "real Florida" is made up of white southerners, so that means the "fake Florida" is made up of everyone else who should die according to that board member.

Them are some nice values.

You still aren't getting what he's saying.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,996 times
Well I AM a native of Florida. Yes I was born and raised here. I say 'maam' and 'sir' . I listen to every kind of music. People from other states tell me I have a southern twang. I'm southern and not an idiot, but still doesn't stop me from saying Yall. I am Black. I don't care for racist views whether they come from a black person or white person. I like some things about the city, but I still like the "woods" and being able to go out for a walk to enjoy the quiet and nature.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:09 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,771,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
No, I get what he's saying. I'm not buying what you are trying to get me to think he's saying.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
No, I get what he's saying. I'm not buying what you are trying to get me to think he's saying.
You are making things too complicated, lol.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:17 AM

120 posts, read 461,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
LOL at everybody failing to point out that he only invites WHITE southerners to come to Florida. He can't even make a comment without having at least a few blatantly racist statements. Unfortunately north florida is full of people like him.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:04 AM

Omg, that is not what he is saying. Yes, there are a lot of people like that in FL, but that isnt what this guy is saying.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:10 AM

179 posts, read 565,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickmystir700 View Post
LOL at everybody failing to point out that he only invites WHITE southerners to come to Florida. He can't even make a comment without having at least a few blatantly racist statements. Unfortunately north florida is full of people like him.
I just can not say anything but to each their own, I am a live and let live sort of person, and always have been. Born in Virginia, but lived here in south east Florida for over 47 years, and I must say I am saddened to see that it depends on where your roots are, and where your geographical location is, could make such a dramatic impact on how you treat other human beings. I truely don't see how that could possibly be that important, and it's also sad to see that in such a modern society, and as far as we have come in this world, we have reverted backwards, on something so simple as to treat each other with respect, as we ourselves would want to be treated.
My personal take though in regards to our "southerness" in south Florida, we still have it. Some people just forgot how to use it.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:08 PM

210 posts, read 665,171 times
Here is a great article I found that was recently published in the Fort Myers Florida Weekly Newspaper.

Fort Myers Florida Weekly
Being Southern BY ROGER WILLIAMS

RISING FROM THE CULTURAL DIN THAT clamors out of years and decades of daily living along the Gulf Coast, the Southern voice has remained distinct and vibrant.

But that voice appears to be fading, an observation almost universally accepted by Southerners themselves. The tone and timbre of its long music is often roundly ignored nowadays by many of the 1.2 million residents of Southwest Florida.

Fifty years ago, most of the region’s 75,000 hardy citizens were Southerners. Now a dwindling minority can claim that heritage.

Lest it be lost, here Florida Weekly celebrates the Southern voice in the words of 15 who remain.

Whether born in the old South, the new South, the Dixie South, or the Cracker South — whether black or white — together Southerners lay down a single melodic line of endless variation, singing out so powerfully that the voice transcends itself, becoming uniquely American.

To read the rest of the article follow this link http://fortmyers.floridaweekly.com/n..._Southern.html

Last edited by doggiebus; 08-09-2011 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: Please don't post full articles, post a link next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida