Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2009, 09:34 AM

53 posts, read 127,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadeguy View Post
my oh my how hospitable and jesus like you seem from this post!

by all means come to miami where everyone is truely welcomed.
Did you read the post that DeoGratias was responding to? I just read through all of these posts, and it was provoked in my opinion. I think it was in response to the comment made by Siesta Bay (from NY) who said, "Redneck, Bible thumper, hick heaven. Stay as far away as possible!" Completely uncalled for.

Last edited by TatersFan; 05-10-2009 at 09:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 10:19 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,530,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TatersFan View Post
Did you read the post that DeoGratias was responding to? I just read through all of these posts, and it was provoked in my opinion. I think it was in response to the comment made by Siesta Bay (from NY) who said, "Redneck, Bible thumper, hick heaven. Stay as far away as possible!" Completely uncalled for.
I understand being annoyed by poster but aren't we all responsible for how we respond? personally I would have responded with an ad hominem if I was bothered enough.

incidentally what difference does it make where the poster is from? are you implying that folks from new york are less than folks from elsewhere?

Old 05-10-2009, 10:27 AM

No, its that it seems to be pretty common. Almost like people from up north think that they are better than southerners.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:41 AM

I don't think it's common at all! what you will find is that when you give respect to others you will find respect in return. being a respectful, courteous person does not make someone a weak person though often times small people (not in stature) confuse kindness for weakness.

I just read a comment you posted in another thread stating in what struck me as a somewhat degrading tone implying that there are only darkskinned people in miami. you strike me as a disrespectful, small minded xenophobic racist. given that attitude which you openly and disdainfully display I'm not at all surprised that you should be marginalized in polite company by anyone from anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TatersFan View Post
"and I didn't see any white faces at all anymore"

That could be anywhere in Miami.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:50 AM

Thank you for showing me which post you were talking to.

Is there something about what I said that is untrue? Someone said, "and I didnt see any white faces at all anymore" regarding his trip back to Miami, but unsure of where he was exactly. I said, "that could be anywhere in Miami."

Not exactly "disrespectful" or "racist" if you ask me. It was simply a statement made in response to another post. I dont find my statement racist, nor untrue. I'm not sure what is wrong with with I stated.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:57 AM

come to miami, come to my neighborhood. you will meet people who have families. some of them are going through challenges at this time but you can have a beer, wet a line, swap lies laugh at jokes and in a little while you won't see any external skin tonal differences. trust me, this is a majical place.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:05 AM

That's cool. Skin tonal differences dont mean anything to me. I care about what type of human being you are. Not what color your skin is.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:11 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrister85 View Post
I'm a 23-yo male and I plan on continuing my education somewhere in Florida, most likely in the north like Jacksonville, Gainesville, or Tallahassee. The thing is, being raised and having gone to college in various Mid-Atlantic states, currently I'm wary of moving to the South.

I know Florida, especially South Florida, is different, but I have a college friend in Florida who says the northern part of the state is still very much the "Deep South" like Mississippi and Alabama. It's fine for some people, but I wouldn't fit in very well as I'm not really religious and I'm far from the "good-ol'-boy" archetype.

I'm also concerned about dating. I know I'm working off of stereotypes here (nothing else to go on), but I hear lots of girls in the South tend to want to get married young, which is not even on my radar at this point!

Is this all the case even in larger towns with 100,000+ residents?
For the most part North Florida is a lot like The South. But in the Tally, Gainesville, and Jacksonville, its not as much, unless you leave and go to the outskirts of these towns. For Tally and Gainesville there are so many students from all over, that you don't feel like you are in the south, while around campus. But yes once you leave campus it does get to be like the south "good-ol-boy". I could probably bet that most college students don't go to church, so I don't think you will have to worry about this. As far the marriage thing, I think that is changing especially with college educated woman.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:35 PM

210 posts, read 664,833 times
There are places in North Florida that are more "Southern" than many places in Alabama or Mississippi. Towns like Marianna, Monticello, Live Oak, Apalachicola and Quincy have more in common with Selma and Natchez than they do with even Jacksonville. Especially along the Black Arc or "Plantation Belt" that stretches from Marion County up and over to Jackson County. This is where cotton was king and there were more cotton plantations per square miles than most places in the South.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:23 PM

109 posts, read 439,847 times
This is a really a wide and diverse post. 1st, let's put Christianity into perspective. It is a fact that the more rural the area, the more Christian values prevail. I am not defending this position as I take the view that any relation I have with my Creator, is exactly that, a personal relationship and it really doesn't depend on what anyone else thinks, at the end of the ball game it is up to me and God as to what are relationship is. Now on to the color issue, this is probally more of a lifestyle question on the upscale version and a economic thing on the lower end. And the last point is what is "south", I guess I see this as a cultural thing. The fast paced life of the east coast southern Florida is fairly removed from anything close to the "Old South". This is neither a good thing or a bad thing, it is once again personal choice. I guess I am confused to the beginning and end of this post, who really cares who is a Christian and who is a " Party Animal". Pick your lifestyle and pick your area but do not rap or bad mouth each othe for your choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida