Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 08:01 AM

166 posts, read 986,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
Why WOULD it be cheap? It's got a warm climate, beaches, things to do, etc. There's no reason logically for it to be cheap. Simple supply and demand. People WANT to live there. Prices are higher...it's not hard to figure out...

California is easily more expensive than Florida, and I'm not sure where you got off thinking California was cheaper; maybe in the desert regions of California or something?
They pay much less in property taxes. That has something to do with it.

Some people in S.Florida pay more money in property taxes and insurance than their mortgage.

I was check checking out a few 2,500 square foot homes in Aventura. I believe they wanted about 700k. Seriously! Even I was tripping out. The day a 2,500 square foot home goes for 700k in Florida is the day even I say...that certain parts of Cali is really cheaper than Florida. I will find these homes and show you...your gonna trip! And in Parkland,beause a 2 thousand square foot home is on an acre of land....that makes it a million dollar home. Seriously. I gotta find it. Your gonna trip!

And wait till you check out property taxes. Property taxes on that 700k home in Aventura is much more than taxes on a 700k home in Southern Cali.

By the way, Rancho Cucamonga is cheaper. I saw some really beautiful homes out there. But, I have to wonder why? Is it on the fault line, or what is the reason why it's cheaper. I am sure the Rancho homes are cheaper than the Aventura or Parkland homes. When I went on a mini-tour of Ca last year I remember passing through Rancho. The mountains behind the mall was beautiful. Is it a nice place to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 01:08 PM

541 posts, read 1,996,229 times
We live in Orlando I am from NY my husband is from MA (North of Boston.) We have friends here from CA (LA area), CT, NJ, NY, MA, CO, etc.. all of them agree the cost of living is higher here and the pay is much less!

Old 04-02-2007, 03:31 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,763,852 times
We should have a part of Florida called "Rancho Cucaracha" to compete with California!

Old 04-02-2007, 03:37 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,471,332 times
Lol

Old 04-03-2007, 01:51 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,605,052 times
Exclamation yes-

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthatmouse View Post
We live in Orlando I am from NY my husband is from MA (North of Boston.) We have friends here from CA (LA area), CT, NJ, NY, MA, CO, etc.. all of them agree the cost of living is higher here and the pay is much less!
You cant even compare Mass. or NY to Florida---there is NO comparison. If you are in NY or the northeast, you probably have a career.

If you are retired, Florida is great. But don't be so quick to leave your 60k (or more) job up there, and think you will make the same in Florida. Will never happen.

sunny

Old 04-03-2007, 01:58 PM

My understanding is that in CA they pay 1% of value as property tax. Here it's more than double that. And yes, those Northeast people have better paying carreers. Here in Florida our whole economy is based on drug dealing and real estate.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:30 PM

268 posts, read 890,463 times
I lived in Florida most of my life and moved to L.A. about two years ago. IMO you can't even compare Florida and California. I'll give some examples...

In the areas where you would want to live (LA, san diego, SF area) the average house costs about 650k and up. Don't forget 1% of 700k is a lot! Oh BTW disney gave me an whoppin 10% "COLA" when I moved out here. I live in Pasadena 10 mins outside of downtown L.A. and my 2 bedroom apartment cost me $1650/month.

Gas prices: we're paying 3.30/gal for regular

Car registration: $220 yearly! I only paid like $60 in florida.

Groceries: The unions rule out here and when you go into a Vons or Ralphs store, look at their badges...it's common to see 25 or 30 years of service. The reason...they are making $30/hour working a cash register. This of course drives the price you pay for food through the roof!

Buying a Car out here: They mark up EVERYTHING! It's a joke...you definitely pay alot less for a vehicle in Florida.

Parking: You pay for parking everywhere you go, parking garages, beaches, you name it, you pay to park. I could go on and on...I'm looking to transfer back to Orlando within the next 2 years.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:53 PM

But is LA all of California? That's like comparing south beach to all of Florida. The beaurocracy and energy prices, along with a lack of water is my main complaint about CA. Then again give Florida time, they will develop the same bad habits. The Californicators will see to that!

Old 04-03-2007, 02:56 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,605,052 times
Smile lol-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
My understanding is that in CA they pay 1% of value as property tax. Here it's more than double that. And yes, those Northeast people have better paying carreers. Here in Florida our whole economy is based on drug dealing and real estate.
Even my friend in Boca is a real estate broker/having a hard time right now. Florida is NOT like any other state. I always envision 25 year olds moving down there thinking they will get a decent job. It will never happen.

Old 04-03-2007, 05:20 PM

62 posts, read 376,762 times
While it may be true that certain pockets are of Florida are more expensive than certain pockets of California, the comparison certainly would not be apples to apples. The expensive areas of Florida would offer an upscale, luxurious lifestyle that the corresponding cost area of California simply could not compete with. When performing a comparison, you must compare apples to apples when discussing which area is more expensive. A 2000+ square foot home near the coast simply cannot be found for much less than a million - an equivalent home in Florida tops out at around $750K - a substantial difference.
A note about taxes and insurance, while property taxes are indeed set at 1% of assessed value, many cities charge supplemental taxes, voters have approved additional taxes and other additions to the base value that make the total tax bill much higher than the 1%; the effective tax rate on my home was 2.3%!!! The insurance bills may not be as disparate as you think either; because the value of the home is higher in California, the insurance cost basis is higher. For example, my California policy was about $1300 a year, only a little less than the $1500 that we are paying in Florida. Also recognize that the base property insurance policy in California does not include earthquake coverage - an earthquake policy is separate and very expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida