Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 11:07 AM

2,141 posts, read 6,905,017 times

Advertisements

Current conditions around Florida:
The weak El Nino in the Pacific Ocean that impacted our weather through the fall and winter has ended. Unfortunately, it did not give the state the rainfall usually associated with an El Nino event. A large portion of the state is classified as being in a D1 class drought which indicates moderate drought conditions. Significant rainfall deficits are continuing across the state. Areas south of Interstate 4 are seeing KBDI values approaching 700. This is likely to continue to get worse as the season goes on.

Long-range outlook:
The outlook for the next three months is for a possible development of a weak La Nina pattern. Although the official forecast from the National Climate Prediction Center has not been updated to reflect the presence of La Nina, newer forecasts will likely indicate drier than normal conditions through the spring with an above normal forecast of tropical storms and hurricanes for the fall. This situation when combined with the current dry conditions may lead to very volatile conditions across the state with the potential for a severe fire season until the summer rainfall returns.

Summary:
The current weather pattern is preventing significant rainfall from reaching the state and as a result, there are significant drying conditions across the state. The outlook for the rest of the peak fire season is continuing hot and dry weather with increasing fire danger and fire potential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 11:51 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,831,283 times
Unhappy I hate hot and humid weather.

The FL weather is not what people think it is. It is not the comfortable, mild Hiawaii weather out-of-state folk envision FL is.

I honestly think the FL weather is NOT a good selling point for the state. Yes, you enjoy the nice winter, from Dec - March, but the rest of the year is very uncomfortable. It is hot, sticky, muggy, you sweat a ton, and feel dizzy a lot. Cars overheat, people get ticked off at the smallest things (especially on I-4), waiting for the bus means you will take another bath (a sweat bath).

Summer goes from April - December and it is so muggy, it is not fun at all. I cannot see how anyone would enjoy such a lengthy summer. I deplore it. We are still in March, but most of this March has been at 85 degrees and very hot. Today (friday), has been very hot and I stay indoors my whole workday to avoid coming back to the office drenched in sweat.

2007 will break all the rules in terms of heat, because of El Nina and La Nina and where they are positioned. We seem to be headed for a brutally HOT and dry (as in no rain, yet high humidity) summer. We are set up to have some fires this summer as well, due to the low rain we have had so far this year.

What has everyone on edges is the Atlantic waters being as hot as they are now and these waters fueling hurricanes. Hurricane season begins May 1. That is when the real Florida "fun" begins.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:25 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,743,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
The FL weather is not what people think it is. It is not the comfortable, mild Hiawaii weather out-of-state folk envision FL is.

I honestly think the FL weather is NOT a good selling point for the state. Yes, you enjoy the nice winter, from Dec - March, but the rest of the year is very uncomfortable. It is hot, sticky, muggy, you sweat a ton, and feel dizzy a lot. Cars overheat, people get ticked off at the smallest things (especially on I-4), waiting for the bus means you will take another bath (a sweat bath).

Summer goes from April - December and it is so muggy, it is not fun at all. I cannot see how anyone would enjoy such a lengthy summer. I deplore it. We are still in March, but most of this March has been at 85 degrees and very hot. Today (friday), has been very hot and I stay indoors my whole workday to avoid coming back to the office drenched in sweat.

2007 will break all the rules in terms of heat, because of El Nina and La Nina and where they are positioned. We seem to be headed for a brutally HOT and dry (as in no rain, yet high humidity) summer. We are set up to have some fires this summer as well, due to the low rain we have had so far this year.

What has everyone on edges is the Atlantic waters being as hot as they are now and these waters fueling hurricanes. Hurricane season begins May 1. That is when the real Florida "fun" begins.
Keep an eye on May weather, if we get no rain in May expect a MONSTER hurricane (hooray!) I was in the middle of a huge brush fire in spring 2001, in Hendry county. Drove to visit a friend, while there a fire had come from the east and surrounded us. The heat is my biggest complaint but I guess here in Key Largo it won't be any worse then usual. I worry more about my parents who have no air conditioning due to dwindling finances. If you're on a fixed income DONT EVER move to Florida. You'll end up sad and desperate as you struggle to get by. I will be on my way to Miami again to help the parents. Imagine if a hurricane blows their place away, we'll all be stuck in my home then. And people STILL want to come to Florida???

Old 03-30-2007, 12:29 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,190,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post

Hurricane season begins in June

Old 03-30-2007, 12:35 PM

98 posts, read 531,664 times
Quote:
I worry more about my parents who have no air conditioning due to dwindling finances. If you're on a fixed income DONT EVER move to Florida. You'll end up sad and desperate as you struggle to get by.
Do you have air conditioning at your place?

It's rough anywhere if you're on a fixed income.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:37 PM

98 posts, read 531,664 times
I remember May 1999 being a pretty bad fire season in Southwest Miami.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MananaLand View Post
Do you have air conditioning at your place?

It's rough anywhere if you're on a fixed income.
Yes I have a homemade air conditioning system, 1/2 compressor, 1/2 solar and it works fine. Also have backup generator that can take over solar component at night. It's a shame I may be leaving here just because of property tax issues. I don't know how much more I can absorb of insane increases and the state has done absolutely nothing to fix it. My parents home is old and too inefficient to run central air on their limited income, and Team Metro sees to it that I cannot make it any better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Hurricane season begins in June
You won't experience one till August either.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:48 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,436,311 times
I'm glad you brought this up. It appears that the weather in our area has been "different", too. We have had warm temps earlier then normal. But we've also had quite a bit of humidity which isn't normal for us until about June. Even though it's raining which of course gives humidity, it's just been a much warmer humid feeling then in the past for still being March. I'm not complaining cause I love the warm, humid weather, but it's just "different' from other years. Maybe that's what's been fueling the bad Texas and midwestern storms and the floods that have been happening the past few days.

Rick, aren't there any programs set up in Florida to help the elderly people? In so many areas of the country, people can give to a fund and the money goes to at least providing fans or window AC for the elderly during the heat of summer.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:55 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,190,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Yes I have a homemade air conditioning system, 1/2 compressor, 1/2 solar and it works fine. Also have backup generator that can take over solar component at night. It's a shame I may be leaving here just because of property tax issues. I don't know how much more I can absorb of insane increases and the state has done absolutely nothing to fix it. My parents home is old and too inefficient to run central air on their limited income, and Team Metro sees to it that I cannot make it any better.

You won't experience one till August either.
Why don't they just get a window unit and have one room air conditioned. I have a window unit in my guest cottage I leave on all the time low so the place doesn't get all humid inside. It is a nice Maytage unit I bought and cost about $30.00 a month to run. I know what it cost because except for the porch light that comes on at night it is the only usage in the place. I don't rent it out. Maybe you need to help out your parents a little.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Why don't they just get a window unit and have one room air conditioned. I have a window unit in my guest cottage I leave on all the time low so the place doesn't get all humid inside. It is a nice Maytage unit I bought and cost about $30.00 a month to run. I know what it cost because except for the porch light that comes on at night it is the only usage in the place. I don't rent it out. Maybe you need to help out your parents a little.
Actually help them out a lot, the whole house was in very run-down shape. Window air conditioner won't help as it just runs and runs and nothing gets cool. Their new central air conditioner was stolen, and when I tried to put one on the roof it was time for more county hassles. I am totally discouraged seeing how Miami treats it's long-term residents. And I still have to help dad go to court to fight the 500 dollar fine for their compost barrel. If I didn't have to fight the government I bet I would be a millionaire many times over!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida