Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 11:55 PM

10 posts, read 19,399 times

Advertisements

I will be graduating college next year....going into computers. I cannot stand the gloomy and very cold winters in Michigan. The roads also have holes large enough to swallow your car and the economy really sucks. My goal is to relocate to the Tampa area. I hear of a lot a people getting homesick or wishing they never moved to Florida. Many times have I visited the Tampa area and love it. Saint Petersburg and the barrier islands (Treasure Island on north along Gulf BLVD) are among my favorites. Is there anyone from Michigan that moved to Florida and wanted to go back?? I probably will never go back to Michigan once I move but am interested in hearing some opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 10:47 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,940,554 times
Not originally from MI (born+ raised in TX) but I did live in MI for a few years before coming down to FL.

I'm happy down here. FL bashers will try saying things are horrible down here, don't move, you can't get a job..... yadayada.....

But if you're from MI there is one golden rule: No matter how bad it is in FL, it's worse in MI.....

Plus it's a lot more enjoyable down here, the roads are great, the weather is great... life's good, so come on down....

Old 03-24-2009, 12:08 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times
Grew up in Grand Rapids and am currently in the Florida Panhandle. The state isn't perfect, but it's home and we've got no plans to ever move back to Michigan. The key is to have realistic expectations- unless you're a trust fnd baby, living down here is not like vacationing here. You still get to enjoy the cool stuff on evenings and weekends, but you also have to deal with a lot of BS that you never really thought about as a tourist.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:15 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,930,482 times
We've been visiting Florida for many years, mostly, but not always, on the west coast, and a common joke between us is how everyone we meet on every trip down there is from Michigan!! So, if you move down to Florida, you will certainly meet a lot of people from your home state. I'm surprised there's anyone still left up there! We've met a great couple on this board, and then in person, from Michigan, their name on here is the "jveltes", I'll let them know you're posting and looking, maybe you can get in touch. The jveltes, and we as well, have bought lots in Port Charlotte, and hope to move down someday soon. We feel your pain as fellow Midwesterners, we're from Wisconsin. At least our economy hasn't gone as bad as yours', but we feel your pain.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:16 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,198,147 times
I'm originally from FL but lived in MI from 98-03, moved back to FL for 4 years and now I'm back in MI since late 07. I'll take a bad day in FL over a good day in MI anytime. Good luck, enjoy FL and don't look back.

Last edited by xlabel; 03-25-2009 at 12:17 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-25-2009, 02:21 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
There are quite a few people from Michigan, and Midwest in general, in Naples.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:44 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,083,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman1977 View Post
I will be graduating college next year....going into computers. I cannot stand the gloomy and very cold winters in Michigan. The roads also have holes large enough to swallow your car and the economy really sucks. My goal is to relocate to the Tampa area. I hear of a lot a people getting homesick or wishing they never moved to Florida. Many times have I visited the Tampa area and love it. Saint Petersburg and the barrier islands (Treasure Island on north along Gulf BLVD) are among my favorites. Is there anyone from Michigan that moved to Florida and wanted to go back?? I probably will never go back to Michigan once I move but am interested in hearing some opinions.
There are so many people from Michigan in SWFL that the better question would be are there any Michiganeers that are not from Florida or planning to move there! I have met a ton of nice people from there!

Old 03-25-2009, 04:38 PM

208 posts, read 605,065 times
I call southwest Florida "Michigan South". I knew so many people from Michigan and other midwestern states when I lived in Ft. Myers. An upper midwestern accent is more common than a southern or even a northeastern accent in that part of Florida. You'll have no problems!

Old 03-25-2009, 06:25 PM

301 posts, read 1,153,872 times
Default Michigan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoolmrcool28 View Post
We've been visiting Florida for many years, mostly, but not always, on the west coast, and a common joke between us is how everyone we meet on every trip down there is from Michigan!! So, if you move down to Florida, you will certainly meet a lot of people from your home state. I'm surprised there's anyone still left up there! We've met a great couple on this board, and then in person, from Michigan, their name on here is the "jveltes", I'll let them know you're posting and looking, maybe you can get in touch. The jveltes, and we as well, have bought lots in Port Charlotte, and hope to move down someday soon. We feel your pain as fellow Midwesterners, we're from Wisconsin. At least our economy hasn't gone as bad as yours', but we feel your pain.
We live in Grand Rapids, MI. Been in West Michigan my whole life (30 yrs). We do love it here, at least in the summer, but have grown tired of temperatures below 60. So, like the Cools said, we bought a waterfront lot in Port Charlotte last summer and hope to move by the end of 2009. We'll probably come back a few times each summer to boat with friends, but I'm sure they will be down in the winter to boat with us as well We can't wait to start this new adventure!!

Old 03-26-2009, 02:10 PM

4,894 posts, read 14,136,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman1977 View Post
Moved to Florida in 1991 and no desire to ever go back to MI. I knew before graduating Michigan State I would never go back. Some people are just Floridians born in the wrong state.

Along the way I made pit stops in NYC and WV. Eventually left WV due to the same hot summer up there as here (Ohio Valley weather) and if it's going to be that sweltering, there better be palm trees. Oh the beauty of never having to get in the trans am through the back hatch again, because the doors are frozen shut in February....

It does take a few years to get used to Florida, but if you get into some kind of group in something you're interested in, you'll make friends quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida