Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 09:50 AM

5 posts, read 23,702 times

Advertisements

I am hoping to move my family to Florida over the summer and have researched extensively and was wondering about the best place to live. I would like to be midland. I considered the Lake Wales or Kissimmee area. My sister lives in Vero Beach, but I don't want to live on the coast. I am from Indiana and am scared of hurricanes, having never experienced one. Does anyone have any suggestions? Our kids range from 3-14 and we have a 5 year old who has mild autism, so schools are important! Any help would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 10:17 AM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,139,627 times
I would Say Tallahassee.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:54 AM

Default Why Tallahassee?

Why do you say Tallahassee? I will research and see what I think. Thanks!

Old 01-30-2009, 11:04 AM

1,629 posts, read 5,381,173 times
Being inland isn't going to save you from hurricanes. When I first moved to Orlando, we had 3 go directly through us that were equally as powerful as when they hit the coast. If there are other reason you don't want to live by the coast that's okay, but fear of hurricanes shouldn't be one of those reasons. They aren't life threatening, unless you live in a trailer park. I know last fall, many at my university were disappointed a hurricane turned course because they wanted classes to be canceled, so in no way is it a RUN FOR YOUR LIFE kind of moment.

I wouldn't recommend Tallahassee. It's full of Rednecks and obnoxious college students lol, not to offend anyone. On a more serious note, first, the airport is small, you will always have a transfer, you are far from everything (driving wise), it's small, the only reason I'd imagine anyone choosing to live there would be for FSU. I also wouldn't recommend Kissimmee. The schools aren't that good and the quality of people moving in are more of the "budget" type. Orlando could be an option...Dr. Phillips Area, Windermere Area, Winter Park Area, Metrowest Area, Lake Mary Area, Heathrow Area all of which have good public schools. Palm Beach Gardens and Boca Raton are very nice areas also with good schools. Naples is another city that is nice and has good schools. I'd recommend taking a trip out here and visiting them all...you could do it comfortably in around 5 days, it won't take that long.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:04 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,145,925 times
If you are considering smaller towns like Lake Wales, I would look in some of the towns in Lake County up to and between Orlando and Gainesville or in Polk County between Tampa and Orlando. This will offer a good environment for your family with being convenient to attractions and urban amenities. I think your biggest concern should be finding good schools.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 6,547 times
My son and his wife live in Sanford with their 2 kids (5 and 2). I love the city personality, it's very clean, close to everything and a family city. My grand daughter just started school this year and she loves it! Sanford is close to Kissimmee/Orlando yet only 45 minutes from the beach. Close enough to enjoy the beach atmosphere, yet far enough away to be "safe" in Hurricane seasons. I live in Port Orange, just south of Daytona, have lived here for 20 years, it's home and we get through the hurricanes, as those in the north, get through the winters...ice and snow! I was born and raised in Ohio, lived there for 19 years and now this is home! Good luck!

Old 01-30-2009, 11:16 AM

Default thanks

Tallahassee looks way bigger than I want anyway. I prefer a smaller population. It's really difficult to just look at a computer and make a huge life change based on what I see as far as statistics and such. I know that we will be renting a home when we first move to be sure we like where we are, etc. We just visited Kissimmee/Orlando last March and I really wasn't impressed with the area quite honestly. As far as homes go though, I see that I can rent a new home for less than an icky house in other areas. I noticed in statistics that there is a high pop. of hispanics and a high crime rate. I'm not prejudice, but where I am from there is a high population of hispanics and I am just not that fond of the area now. I will research some of the towns you recommended and see what I come up with. Thanks!

Old 01-30-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TtownMomOfFive View Post
Tallahassee looks way bigger than I want anyway. I prefer a smaller population. It's really difficult to just look at a computer and make a huge life change based on what I see as far as statistics and such. I know that we will be renting a home when we first move to be sure we like where we are, etc. We just visited Kissimmee/Orlando last March and I really wasn't impressed with the area quite honestly. As far as homes go though, I see that I can rent a new home for less than an icky house in other areas. I noticed in statistics that there is a high pop. of hispanics and a high crime rate. I'm not prejudice, but where I am from there is a high population of hispanics and I am just not that fond of the area now. I will research some of the towns you recommended and see what I come up with. Thanks!
Check out Naples, small town atmosphere, mostly White, good schools, beautiful beaches, educated population, DONT WORRY ABOUT HURRICANES lol.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:21 AM

99 posts, read 353,014 times
If you're afraid of hurricanes, Fl is not the place for you. Not to mention the tornadoes & there are no warnings here. We're going to PA. The schools are horrible & the kids are at the bus stop in the dark. Good luck.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaluv View Post
If you're afraid of hurricanes, Fl is not the place for you. Not to mention the tornadoes & there are no warnings here. We're going to PA. The schools are horrible & the kids are at the bus stop in the dark. Good luck.
What do you mean there are no warnings? They track hurricanes for days before they hit land...*if they hit land. Tornadoes, you can't track far in advance because you simple cannot, but there are warnings...very annoying warnings, which seem to come on TV right when my favorite show is about to announce who won the competition. The stupid thing, buzzes and repeats the same warning over and over for minutes. Your point about if you can't handle the thought of hurricanes, don't move to FL I agree with. You can't hide from them anywhere in FL. However, as I said, they aren't anything to be afraid of unless you live in a trailer park. I was much more afraid of the earthquakes on the West Coast and the snow storms in Alaska. Also, schools are relative. If you live in a bad area, the schools are most likely going to be bad. Similar to any other city and state, there are good ones and bad ones. If you chose a bad one, you can't blame the state. Use greatschools.net as a tool. I've lived in Anchorage, AK, Wasilla, AK, Seattle, WA, San Francisco, CA, Daytona Beach, FL, Orlando, FL, Boca Raton, FL, Gold Coast, Australia and have found good schools in each city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida