Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2009, 07:48 PM

221 posts, read 1,195,184 times

Advertisements

My husband is in the Air Force and has applied for a position at Tyndall AFB in Panama City. We have one child, a three year old girl.

I am searching and scouring the net for info on whether Panama City is a good place to raise a family. I would like to hear from those of you who have chosen to raise your children there.

Here is a bit about us:
White; mid-30's; non-denominational Christian; health-focused; love outdoor activities like mountain biking, IDPA, beaching, and camping; plan to homeschool... I guess that's a good start... So, anyone? THANKS SO MUCH!

Jessica
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 08:09 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,831,016 times
I'd say pretty good for younger kids. It's when they hit high school age and start to want to hang out with the college spring break crowd over at Panama City Beach that you have to worry.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:57 PM

807 posts, read 3,186,562 times
it seems like a good place to me...

our son likes it, too...

Old 01-05-2009, 04:12 PM

120 posts, read 461,236 times
Honestly I would say its one of the worst areas in the country to raise a child, but that's just my opinion.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:45 AM

221 posts, read 1,195,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickmystir700 View Post
Honestly I would say its one of the worst areas in the country to raise a child, but that's just my opinion.
Wow. One of the worst? What makes it so?

Old 03-26-2009, 06:21 PM

25 posts, read 75,485 times
I completely agree with you. I would not want to raise my kids here either. Several of my friends went to school here and they came out alright, but I consider them lucky. I heard that the high school on the beach has a serious drug problem. Spring break is also a serious issue. This is definately not a family town. I completely try to avoid the beach at all costs from February-May due to spring break, it's atrocious!! Trash and beer cans everywhere, not to mention the constant cop car sirens due to crazy spring breakers being killed or falling off balconys (this year is the worst spring break I've experienced: Girl being shot, dead spring breaker found next to hotel, man falling off balcony). Keep in mind I am writing this at the peak of spring break, so I am at my limit :-) !! I am ready to move back up north, the snow is worth it.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:35 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,140,759 times
Panama city is FAIL for raising kids. If you want them to fail, raise them there.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:30 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
I agree, probably one of the worst... my parents were around that area and after 1.5 year in the schools there in elementary they moved to Tallahassee where they have pretty good schools if you are looking for a place in North Fla. I was born in Panama City but once I hit school age... outta there.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:21 PM

807 posts, read 3,186,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickmystir700 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallDreamer View Post
I completely agree with you. I would not want to raise my kids here either. Several of my friends went to school here and they came out alright, but I consider them lucky. I heard that the high school on the beach has a serious drug problem. Spring break is also a serious issue. This is definately not a family town. I completely try to avoid the beach at all costs from February-May due to spring break, it's atrocious!! Trash and beer cans everywhere, not to mention the constant cop car sirens due to crazy spring breakers being killed or falling off balconys (this year is the worst spring break I've experienced: Girl being shot, dead spring breaker found next to hotel, man falling off balcony). Keep in mind I am writing this at the peak of spring break, so I am at my limit :-) !! I am ready to move back up north, the snow is worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
Panama city is FAIL for raising kids. If you want them to fail, raise them there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I agree, probably one of the worst... my parents were around that area and after 1.5 year in the schools there in elementary they moved to Tallahassee where they have pretty good schools if you are looking for a place in North Fla. I was born in Panama City but once I hit school age... outta there.
I believe raising children is about being involved in their abilities to make good decisions. There is no place on the planet where they won't face peer pressure. As a parent with life experiences to guide you, use them to help your children understand the rewards and consequences of their decisions. Drugs are in every school...teach your kids to handle any pressures to experiment. That goes for smoking and drinking as well. Then there's the sex pressures. All of this and they're expected to learn the courses that put them on their chosen path.

Kids need healthy options to spend their energy (don't we all?). Provide whatever you can and share their interests. This area of Panama City and Panama City Beach provides lots of healthy options to take advantage of. If you choose to allow your children to run amok, I guess you'll learn about the consequences of that decision.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:45 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by On-da-Beach View Post
I believe raising children is about being involved in their abilities to make good decisions. There is no place on the planet where they won't face peer pressure. As a parent with life experiences to guide you, use them to help your children understand the rewards and consequences of their decisions. Drugs are in every school...teach your kids to handle any pressures to experiment. That goes for smoking and drinking as well. Then there's the sex pressures. All of this and they're expected to learn the courses that put them on their chosen path.

Kids need healthy options to spend their energy (don't we all?). Provide whatever you can and share their interests. This area of Panama City and Panama City Beach provides lots of healthy options to take advantage of. If you choose to allow your children to run amok, I guess you'll learn about the consequences of that decision.

I suppose, but not even close to the environment just a drive over to Tallahassee would offer as far as family stuff and public education...

of course, PC is also 70%+ Repub while Tal is 70%+ Dem ... if that is an issue to the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida