Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 06:23 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,369,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivecapark View Post
How long have you lived in Vero Beach? Were you there for the Frances & Jean? I heard that Vero got it pretty bad.

We lived in Jupiter, FL at the time. We moved to Knoxville, TN in September of 2005. We have had two winters here. I think we are ready to move back.

Only we can't afford to move back to Jupiter. We are thinking about Vero Beach, so we aren't quite so far south. Also, I have found some affordable condos there.

I sure miss riding my bike and swimming in the winter!

I would like to hear from you and hear more about Vero Beach and where you were from in the north.

Thanks.

Viveca
Viveca, I was not here for Frances/Jean. My house was half built at the time. The homes that were up and occupied during the back-to-back hurricanes did very well. There was no damage at all except for a few roofing tiles that were moved around. If you buy newer construction (after 2001) you will do very well in hurricanes. Vero beach is very nice, sleepy, safe, with nice subdivisions. My complaint, if any, is that we're so far away from any big city. You ask where I am from up north... Massachusetts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 06:43 AM

31 posts, read 161,302 times
Smile Hello Vero Beach!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
I live in Vero Beach and I'll never move back to the North. Hot as it gets in the summer time, there's no snow to shovel, no dry skin to itch, less sniffles, etc.

I also live here in Vero Beach and love it! I hate the new taxes and insurance has gone sky high, other than that it IS gorgeous here! Sure do hate the traffic on Rte 60 and 58th ave...ugh! The island traffic has gotten worse too!

I am looking to move a little north, in the Carolina's. But NEVER again will I live in the north east! I froze walking to school and as years past driving to work in the snow!! Double UGH! Never again!

FF

Old 03-21-2007, 07:52 AM

71 posts, read 326,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Sorry you didn't like the cooler climates. I know exactly what you mean, but magnify it by ten.

Just curious whether you liked living in Ocala before you moved further north. What did you enjoy the most there (besides the weather) since you're moving back?
HI. I LIVED IN PORT SAINT LUCIE FOR A FEW YEARS, BUT I WOULD NEVER GO BACK TO SOUTH FL. TOO MUCH GOING ON THERE AND TAXES ARE CRAZY. I FOUND OCALA TO BE A PERFECT SPOT, AWAY FROM HURRICANES,TAXES ARE STILL VERY REASONABLE,ETC..THE ONLY TWO THINGS I MISS ABOUT FL IS THAT IT FEELS LIKE HOME TO ME AND THE WEATHER.WHEN YOU HAVE LIVED IN FL OVER 20 YEARS GROWING UP, THAN MOVING OUT OF STATE, YOU FEEL AS IF YOUR LIVING IN A 3RD WORLD COUNTRY.YOU GET USED TO THE HEAT.SUMMERS ARE DEADLY HOT BUT THATS ABOUT IT. I GET NOSE BLEEDS FROM THE DRY AIR HERE AND MY HEAT THATS ON IN THE HOUSE. ..I FIGURE IF I AM SO UNHAPPY WEATHER WISE, THAN THATS NOT RIGHT.MY HUSBAND DOESNT MIND THE COLDER WEATHER, BUT WHEN ITS 30-40 DEGREES AND SOMETIMES 15-20 ALL THE TIME, FOR 5 MONTHS, IT GETS TIERING..

Old 03-21-2007, 09:35 AM

55 posts, read 345,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
Anyone from fla that wants to move back to Long Island? and why
Hi I am originally from Long Island, lived there all my life, went to Texas for 5 years (yuke ) then came to S. Florida, everytime I get homesick for the Island, I think about the snow and scrapping the car windows, and the kids wet clothes and boots. And I change my mind But we did consider moving to TN because it was cheaper, but after visiting in the winter, said no way its cold and dreary! We also went up to Ocala and looked around but the traffic was very heavy and some areas are not so nice. We want to move out of S Florida But not out of Florida, we couldn't stand the cold anymore, or the dreary days and cabin fever.

Does anyone know of a nice area a little north of Ocala to move to, where there is employment opportunities and cheaper homes, but not as rural?

Old 03-26-2007, 12:45 PM

131 posts, read 184,216 times
We have lived here in Niceville, Fl. for 10 years (originally from Anchorage, Ak. ) I does get unbearably hot here and the humidity will make you suffocate. The Spring, fall and winter are just fine. The wages are slave wages even if you have a degree. We are in the midst of remodeling our home and liquidating our other real estate holdings. We are heading for the
Seattle area. If you like bugs,snakes and roaches as big as a butterfly
Fl. is for you! Let me know if your interested in this are... Destin , Fl. We
have a house on a lake for sale....also 5 townhouses -zero down!!!! Doni

Old 03-26-2007, 12:46 PM

[quote=doni;498772]We have lived here in Niceville, Fl. for 10 years (originally from Anchorage, Ak. ) I does get unbearably hot here and the humidity will make you suffocate. The Spring, fall and winter are just fine. The wages are slave wages even if you have a degree. We are in the midst of remodeling our home and liquidating our other real estate holdings. We are heading for the
Fl. is for you! Let me know if your interested in this are... Destin , Fl. We
have a house on a lake for sale....also 5 townhouses -zero down!!!!
Doni

Old 03-26-2007, 02:44 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,215,703 times
quote: "We are heading for the
Fl. is for you!"

seattle? and i guess i could assume you like miserable rainy weather, drug use, and grunge music? and then you want to advertise condos for sale that you own?

no disrespect, but if you think all there is to fla is bugs and snakes, and not mention any of the good things, this comment was coming sooner or later. sorry.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
quote: "We are heading for the
Fl. is for you!"

seattle? and i guess i could assume you like miserable rainy weather, drug use, and grunge music? and then you want to advertise condos for sale that you own?

no disrespect, but if you think all there is to fla is bugs and snakes, and not mention any of the good things, this comment was coming sooner or later. sorry.
Sorry you took it that way, if you would have read any of my other posts you would see I have commented about the many positives about Niceville.
As far as Seattle goes the culture is not just grunge, or drug use, the level of education is very high there and if you ever checked out the jazz bars they are fantastic. Besides I have a house there that is paid for and I'm trying for early retirement. No offense was intended to Floridians , this place has been good to us for the last 10 years but I was raised in Alaska for 31 years and the temps here are just alittle to much for me in the summer. Fall and winter are great.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:56 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,215,703 times
good luck to you --- sorry if i took it the wrong way.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:10 PM

99 posts, read 353,175 times
My husband & I are both from L.I. & we are now going to be relocating to PA since NY is too expensive. I hate it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida