Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 06:55 AM

558 posts, read 1,835,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Floridian View Post
Interesting coments...

Well, I feel a little better thinking I'm not the only dude thinking it's in my own head when people don't show up as promised, don't bother answering the phone, do half-ass job, smoke and throw the cig butt in your yard an even pi*s on a back yard tree, etc.

What happened to America? Why are we so lazy now-a-days? What's a solution to this? How do you handle it when you call a service and they don't show, not even a call back?

How do you refrain yourself from being upset?
Well the regular Joe worker is sick and tired of being used and abused by companies. Then WE are the ones who have to bail them out when THEY mismanage their companies into the ground.

Florida companies know they always have a new stream of people moving into the area. They don't understand or they just don't care that a happy customer is one who will keep coming back time and time again. They live for the moment and do not care about tomorrow or the future.

I am still shocked at all the unproffesionalism that I have witnessed first hand here in Polk County Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
This happens all over! Its almost like ppl dont want your money. The only thing I can think of is thay they just blow you off for a bigger job? I just wish ppl had common courtesey!
Here in Florida they want your money but they don't want to have to work for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 06:56 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
Because you DON'T GET PAID MORE! You can bust your tail, sweat, blood, exhaustion and guess what...when it comes time for yearly review, ZIP! That's exactly why.
Yeah, who wants to " bust their tail " for minnimum wage ?

Old 12-29-2008, 08:16 AM

24 posts, read 57,649 times
I think alot of it has to do with the lifestyle that the kids are growing up with today. Not saying all kids are lazy. But there is a misconception in this country that if you go to college you are guaranteed that 6 figure income the fast cars etc. Everyone wants that desk job now a days and if they have to take a “lowly” job. They just do little as possible to get by and get out to party etc.
Another thing that bothers me is I am very busy I work long hours. I have a decent size yard. So I got some quotes from a few lawn care companies. They were expensive. I decided to keep doing it myself. That got me thinking I looked around most of our neighbors have kids. I remember being around that age. I was out doing lawn work for money after school and on weekends also would shovel snow in winter. I have yet to see any kids doing any yard work in our neighbor hood! I either see older men (dads) or lawn care companies doing it.

Course I can’t talk for Florida yet. I am moving at the end of the month. But I am seeing a lot of the same things in Georgia now J

Old 12-29-2008, 09:16 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,776,309 times
Florida may offer the most unprofessional and incompetent workers anywhere (at least from my experience in Orlando). In my last few years in the state, I couldn't even get the most basic of services done correctly.

My mail carrier would put my mail in my neighbors mailbox at least once a week, it took 4 complaint calls, with the final call escalated to consumer affairs, to correct the problem. My garbage collecters would "forget" to pick up trash on my block about once a month, would leave trash they drop on the lawn, and I even witnessed them kick trash down a storm drain. I cancelled newspaper delivery because my carrier was incapable of simply throwing the newspaper into my driveway. Most of the time it was left in the gutter where it would get soaked when it rained, or sometimes in my neighbors yard, and often never arrived at all.

But the worst offender was Brighthouse. Ughhh...Brighthouse. Moderator cut: consumer complaint AWFUL!

After leaving the state, I haven't run into issues like this. The cable guys even come EARLY here, I was amazed. lol

Last edited by Keeper; 12-31-2008 at 08:39 PM..

Old 12-29-2008, 09:41 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
Florida may offer the most unprofessional and incompetent workers anywhere (at least from my experience in Orlando). In my last few years in the state, I couldn't even get the most basic of services done correctly.

My mail carrier would put my mail in my neighbors mailbox at least once a week, it took 4 complaint calls, with the final call escalated to consumer affairs, to correct the problem. My garbage collecters would "forget" to pick up trash on my block about once a month, would leave trash they drop on the lawn, and I even witnessed them kick trash down a storm drain. I cancelled newspaper delivery because my carrier was incapable of simply throwing the newspaper into my driveway. Most of the time it was left in the gutter where it would get soaked when it rained, or sometimes in my neighbors yard, and often never arrived at all.

But the worst offender was Brighthouse. Ughhh...Brighthouse. Moderator cut: consumer complaint AWFUL!

After leaving the state, I haven't run into issues like this. The cable guys even come EARLY here, I was amazed. lol
Seriously with the wages people are paid in Orlando, what more can we expect.

Last edited by Keeper; 12-31-2008 at 08:40 PM..

Old 12-29-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Seriously with the wages people are paid in Orlando, what more can we expect.
I'd expect this from Brighthouse employees, but postal workers and city employees? Don't they get paid a fair wage down there?

Old 12-29-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
I'd expect this from Brighthouse employees, but postal workers and city employees? Don't they get paid a fair wage down there?
The problem is that there is no motivation in the work force in Orlando and it spills over into the public sector.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
The problem is that there is no motivation in the work force in Orlando and it spills over into the public sector.
Actually, it IS the wages. I just found this thread about what garbage men make in FL. https://www.city-data.com/forum/flori...ent-wages.html

Sad.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Actually, it IS the wages. I just found this thread about what garbage men make in FL. https://www.city-data.com/forum/flori...ent-wages.html

Sad.
It is very sad. The exploitation you see in Orlando is horrendous.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:50 AM

268 posts, read 900,179 times
Some of you posting are not even natives.

I'm living in north-central Florida off and on all my life, almost 43 years.

In 1998 I had a chance to grow substantially in real estate ownership. I was 33 and just acquired my first large property; apartment complex. Don’t get more wrong, I'm doing ok now, but I could have been worth a lot more money, but I chose to maintain what I had then eventually sell all my properties. I had BPH or benign enlarged prostate and a car accident resulting in a broken pelvic; all due to what I think was stress related; dealing with college kids, a lawsuit at the time, and with the so called work ethic here in Gainesville -- you simply can’t find decent people to do decent work.

Another example: My website's email fill-in form is not working all last week. This form is important to receive new clients. My webmaster knows it's not working, and it's still not fixed, and I just learned via email that the website design company will not be returning to work this week, but returning next Monday January 5th. That said, all last week and all this week I have no way to receive emails form potential clients!

I'm so angry, I could go nuts!

Bottom line: I think if I was around more dependable people, city, area, whatever; where people took pride in themselves, their bodies, showed up as promised, etc then I might have been a large scale real estate developer by now…but I'm almost retired now (so I'm not complaining!).

Last edited by The Floridian; 12-29-2008 at 11:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida