Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2008, 07:33 AM

29 posts, read 47,213 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I had a dream since I was a child: live and work in USA. I'm an Italian structural engineer with a BS ("110 e lode", the maximum) and now I'm getting a MS. I really like to work and to improve myself, and I know there is a lot more to learn! My girlfriend is a biologist with BS and MS in molecular biology (with "110 e lode").

I would like to have some tips: would you suggest me to transfer to USA? Is there a request for H1B jobs? I'm searching a lot, on Monster, JobSeeker, etc., but there isn't so much for H1B workers.

And what about crisis? I think USA is still nowadays the best place to work and live. I really love you guys, and I hope to realize my dream.

Sincerely, Francesco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 10:27 AM

2 posts, read 4,917 times
Francesco, Keep the dream ALIVE

Old 11-16-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOSNICE View Post
Francesco, Keep the dream ALIVE
Yes, I will! I grew up singing "Born in the USA" and "Hotel California", watching "Beverly Hills 90210", "Dawson Creek", "KITT Knight Rider", ... At university, for Tall Buildings exam, I choosed the Twin Towers, I follow every news coming from USA and so forth. Yes, MOSNICE, I will keep it alive and I will do everything to catch it!

But I want to come only with a job, I don't want to be a tourist, I want to work, work and work. Florida is the favourite State of my future wife and find a job there would be great!

Old 11-16-2008, 03:41 PM

558 posts, read 1,843,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexatus View Post
I want to work, work and work.
Sounds like the regular "Florida chant" down here, except mine is ~ I want to move, move and move.

Quote:
Florida is the favourite State of my future wife
Florida.............where dreams become nightmares.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
Sounds like the regular "Florida chant" down here, except mine is ~ I want to move, move and move.

Florida.............where dreams become nightmares.
Argh, I could climb a mountain for a job in Florida as engineer and you want to go away? Arghh!!

I'm curious, why do you say that?

Old 11-18-2008, 12:34 PM

1,555 posts, read 4,165,550 times
Quote:
Argh, I could climb a mountain for a job in Florida as engineer and you want to go away? Arghh!!

I'm curious, why do you say that?
Maybe he'd trade houses with you. That way he can escape Florida and you can move here. Then you just have to find a company that will sponsor you for your work visa. The only problem is that he's in Lakeland and it's usually easier in big cities to find companies that will sponsor foreigners.

You might want to consider doing it a step at a time. I'd search for a company that would sponsor you first. One good way to do this is to look for US companies that have branches in Italy. That's how my wife ended up here (she was working for a US company in South Africa, then transferred to New York City). If you can't find that, try directly contacting companies in the US. Once you're here, start the citizenship process as soon as possible. It's also easier once you're here to find other companies that would sponsor you should you need to switch jobs.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:33 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,942,246 times
Quote:
Hi all,

I had a dream since I was a child: live and work in USA. I'm an Italian structural engineer with a BS ("110 e lode", the maximum) and now I'm getting a MS. I really like to work and to improve myself, and I know there is a lot more to learn! My girlfriend is a biologist with BS and MS in molecular biology (with "110 e lode").

I would like to have some tips: would you suggest me to transfer to USA? Is there a request for H1B jobs? I'm searching a lot, on Monster, JobSeeker, etc., but there isn't so much for H1B workers.

And what about crisis? I think USA is still nowadays the best place to work and live. I really love you guys, and I hope to realize my dream.

Sincerely, Francesco.
Francesco, Being an engineer you will have no problems finding work in the U.S.

You may have a harder time finding work in Florida but you should be able to find work in many, many places.

It's refreshing to see people that WANT to live here versus the people that constantly complain about our country.

It's a litter early, but Welcome to the USA !

Old 11-18-2008, 07:17 PM

464 posts, read 1,748,319 times
Quote:
Hi all,

Sincerely, Francesco.
Im sure you would be an asset to Florida with your Structural Design expertise ; never ending Hurricanes should make jobs in your Field very lucrative. There are some crises (plural) in America ranging from a current bad economy to ever growing moral decadence amongst the populus who demand 'they have rights' to live and behave anyway they like ; but as far as opportunity and getting ahead.... its probably still up there compared to the rest of the world. Its not like it was since Post Modernism infiltrated ,however. We are indebted to Italians for giving us Pizza of many varieties, as well as for Mr. Rocky Balboa .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: