Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 01:27 PM

27 posts, read 166,409 times

Advertisements

Sun-Sentinel article:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...,6595484.story

Just finished reading this article on the Sun-Sentinel website. With all of the discussion here about the state of property taxes, what is everyone's opinion of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 02:01 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,766,593 times
Well why not! Just don't tax food because we need it to live. Getting rid of property taxes won't happen, as the government needs it to control people.

Old 02-21-2007, 03:06 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,091,645 times
Me and dad say this will never happen. Youd be happy because your sick and tired of your high property taxes. You seem to have many other reasons for wanting to leave south Florida, when are you going to relocate to where youll be much happier?

Old 02-21-2007, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Me and dad say this will never happen. Youd be happy because your sick and tired of your high property taxes. You seem to have many other reasons for wanting to leave south Florida, when are you going to relocate to where youll be much happier?

I will relocate when I am sure that Florida is lost forever. Also when I locate the right place to move to. The next move I make will be my last. The bad Florida weather, bugs, gators. etc I can handle, but skyrocketing taxes and communist zoning I can't. Even if the salex tax is a fiasco, at least SOMETHING will be done. I have been concerned about property taxes for over 10 years now, and no one had listened to me.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:56 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,171,298 times
Florida's statewide sales tax by 2.5 percentage points, from 6 percent to 8.5 percent. Interesting and a possible solution, depends on us to take it over an agree to abolish property taxes on homes and put caps on local government spending in exchange for adopting the nation's highest statewide sales tax.

Many risks to evaluate, I will not pay an average $1,000.00 in taxes, but for every $12K that I purchased I will pay about $1K in taxes under the new tax rate. Today tax rate I will need to purchase $17K to pay $1k in taxes. I will support the proposal....

Old 02-21-2007, 08:58 PM

13 posts, read 76,454 times
Ha one way to establish higher tax then raise the property tax too. It is hard to get sales tax and "income tax" rates to change. Hopefully we won't see "That other tax" in FL.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:19 PM

I support it if it's for real. Eliminate the property tax on your homes, period. Property tax is the most unfair because it's on imaginary money. Sales tax is on your spending, real money. Also a lot easier to enforce than income tax. Now to convince government to spend less, and convince citizens to provide themself more services and ask less from the government. I have my doubts but if property taxes go down or away, I can stay in Florida and be part of the solution instead of running away to another state.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:13 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,091,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I will relocate when I am sure that Florida is lost forever. Also when I locate the right place to move to. The next move I make will be my last. The bad Florida weather, bugs, gators. etc I can handle, but skyrocketing taxes and communist zoning I can't. Even if the salex tax is a fiasco, at least SOMETHING will be done. I have been concerned about property taxes for over 10 years now, and no one had listened to me.

You could relocate to north Florida and still be in the Florida you love so much. Youll get all the benefits and north Florida has better weather and cheaper houses and much cheaper land. What do you see better about Key Largo that you dont elsewhere in Florida?

I would much rather be in north FL than south FL. If they do away with property taxes, I can see FL being an attractive option for rich people due to no state income tax and now no property taxes. Insurance would still be a problem but those rich enough to pay 100% down can also self insure and not give those greedy insurance companies big profit.

If I somehow become rich by winning the lotto or my home business really takes off, would FL be the best state or what other state for rich people?

Old 02-22-2007, 03:12 AM

800 posts, read 3,090,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Florida's statewide sales tax by 2.5 percentage points, from 6 percent to 8.5 percent. Interesting and a possible solution, depends on us to take it over an agree to abolish property taxes on homes and put caps on local government spending in exchange for adopting the nation's highest statewide sales tax.

Many risks to evaluate, I will not pay an average $1,000.00 in taxes, but for every $12K that I purchased I will pay about $1K in taxes under the new tax rate. Today tax rate I will need to purchase $17K to pay $1k in taxes. I will support the proposal....
Just wait until you see what this does to the automobile industry in Florida! We already don't have mechanical auto inspection which means we have many old cars on our roads. There are more cars in Florida than homes. It will be interested to follow this one. If it passes, we'll buy two new cars before it goes into effect and we'll be good for 10-12 years with cars.

I hope if they pass this they are smart enough to convince the Feds to continue to allow Floridians to deduct sales tax since it is our form of income tax.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:55 AM

1,408 posts, read 5,098,383 times
Counties & cities say services will be drastically cut if property taxes are no longer a part of their revenue.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orl-taxcuts2207feb22,0,4454024.story?coll=orl-news-headlines (broken link)

That means fire depts., law enforcement, schools, emergency services...well, let's just say most of those services we take for granted will be reduced. Yet everybody is crying for more law enforcement, better schools, better roads, better and more everything.

Hopefully we will be offered more options than "all or nothing" property taxes. IF the state tax goes up to 8.5%, that means I would be paying 9.5% sales tax since my county already has an extra 1%. Also, this option would depend upon a lot of tourist dollars to add to the coffers. If our sales tax goes sky high, will we lose tourists? We shouldn't depend on tourist dollars to fund our basic infrastructure. How fairly will Tallahassee distribute the sales tax revenues to the counties/cities? Or will it appear to be a windfall to the state?

There's just a lot to consider before being so willing to trade one tax for another. None of us really want to lose the quality of living we have now and most of us want it improved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida