Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 02:27 PM

3 posts, read 5,568 times

Advertisements

I love Florida. My fiance and i just moved here a few months ago from Minnesota. Had we stayed in Minnesota it would be grey and cold right about now and it would stay grey and cold until April or May. We love the outdoors and there is so much to do here when it comes to spending time outside. In fact we are going to a surf competition tomorrow and to the Pineapple Festival after...We live in PSL and are starting to "settle down" so this is the perfect spot for us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 03:36 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
My older daughter is moving here after Thanksgiving. I tried to talk her out of it months ago. She is coming here purely for financial reasons. She cannot make it in NY with the price of rentals, her old car, bills, etc. So she will be better off here in Naples? I tried to tell her that it is just as expensive to rent here as in LI, plus her SALARY is going to go down substantially (Loss Prevention), IF she can even find a job. I guess she figures she can mooch off us. Like we can afford that? Then there is the fact that she is gay. We have no problem with that, but in Florida I am sure a lot of EMPLOYERS and LANDLORDS WILL HAVE A PROBLEM with that. She hates the HEAT. When she was here in July, all she did was complain about how HOT it was. No, she won't even like the weather. Hell, I don't either.

I am very, very depressed about this. I want to get the hell out of here. The last thing I need is family coming here. I told her I may just get on a plane one day and never come back. She said, "Then, I will fly back with you". Does that sound like she wants to be here?

Bad situation. VERY bad situation.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:07 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
My older daughter is moving here after Thanksgiving. I tried to talk her out of it months ago. She is coming here purely for financial reasons. She cannot make it in NY with the price of rentals, her old car, bills, etc. So she will be better off here in Naples? I tried to tell her that it is just as expensive to rent here as in LI, plus her SALARY is going to go down substantially (Loss Prevention), IF she can even find a job. I guess she figures she can mooch off us. Like we can afford that? Then there is the fact that she is gay. We have no problem with that, but in Florida I am sure a lot of EMPLOYERS and LANDLORDS WILL HAVE A PROBLEM with that. She hates the HEAT. When she was here in July, all she did was complain about how HOT it was. No, she won't even like the weather. Hell, I don't either.

I am very, very depressed about this. I want to get the hell out of here. The last thing I need is family coming here. I told her I may just get on a plane one day and never come back. She said, "Then, I will fly back with you". Does that sound like she wants to be here?

She will learn the truth soon enough, as all northerners do. Florida often looks good on paper until you are here and trying to make a living.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:39 PM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
My older daughter is moving here after Thanksgiving . . .
A.A.R. Counseling Services - Naples, Florida (http://www.aarservices.com/aar1.htm - broken link)

Old 11-14-2008, 10:51 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Then there is the fact that she is gay. We have no problem with that, but in Florida I am sure a lot of EMPLOYERS and LANDLORDS WILL HAVE A PROBLEM with that.
Tell her to move to my part of Florida, that might acutally be an advantage here.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:31 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times
Quote:

It sounds like she wants to be with you.

How old is she?

Old 11-15-2008, 05:45 AM

464 posts, read 1,741,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples
Then there is the fact that she is gay. We have no problem with that, but in Florida I am sure a lot of EMPLOYERS and LANDLORDS WILL HAVE A PROBLEM with that.

Perhaps you can have a talk with her and find out if she would like to exit the lifestyle and tell her there are many good Counsellors in Florida that specialize in determining how she slipped into homosexuality and who can work with her on overcoming it. Theres such specialized Counsellors in every major Florida city . It doesnt mean your love for her is any less in telling her this , and maybe she will want to come to Florida for that alone , if nothing else.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:17 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,454,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDeDo View Post
Quote:

Perhaps you can have a talk with her and find out if she would like to exit the lifestyle and tell her there are many good Counsellors in Florida that specialize in determining how she slipped into homosexuality and who can work with her on overcoming it. Theres such specialized Counsellors in every major Florida city . It doesnt mean your love for her is any less in telling her this , and maybe she will want to come to Florida for that alone , if nothing else.
OMG!! ROFLMAO!!! You "slip" on ice. You "slip" on a banana peel. You DON'T "slip" into being attracted to the same sex!!! LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!

Since you are (I assume) a male, are you attracted to men as well as women so that you may "slip" & end up having sex with another male???

No. I didn't think so.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:21 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDeDo View Post
Quote:

Are you kidding me? I'm not gay, but I can understand how they must feel. Maybe in the next life you'll be gay and see what they have to deal with

Old 11-15-2008, 10:52 AM

436 posts, read 1,357,595 times
I agree with what the other poster said about your daughter missing you. Sometimes when things get rough, no matter how old you are, you just miss your mother. You are not planning to stay in Florida forever, so she will probably move back up north when you do, if not sooner. Also, it may be nice for you to have one of your daughters here as company for you too. It's tough when family is so far away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida