Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2006, 12:46 PM

8 posts, read 40,877 times

Advertisements

i have been reading all these threads and after all the negative/ positive feedback i still want to move to Jacksonville area. But i have a few concerns if anyone can throw light...
1.i'm worried about hurricanes hitting this area(orange park or st. augustine)...what's the level of concern if it does.
2. then are there good schools around this area
3.what's the possibility of finding venomous snakes in my backyard.
4. how much an issue is the 'insect and bugs bites'? (we have spring and fall and winter and what not allergies here up north.....so in that note..)
5. are these areas multi cultural (frankly, are the people racist)

me and my family are so tired of the cold weather here up north, we just need to get to a warm place...where taking a walk outside in th emonth of January is not a dream!!

please give me your feedback!!

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2006, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 6,869 times
I've lived in Jacksonville for quite a while. I can help you out. . .

01. For the most part, hurricanes tend to avoid NE Florida. When they have hit, they haven't been bad at all.
02. Jacksonville schools are no good - I've attended elementary, middle, and high schools in the area, and they're all pretty bad. If you have kids, try to get them into the magnet program. The magnet schools are quite a bit better.
03. Pretty low. I've never found any venomous snakes in my backyard, nor have I heard anyone mention this happening. I'm sure there are a couple of them around, but I tend to think they'd live near ponds or rivers or out in the country-esque areas.
04. The bugs can get pretty bad in the late afternoon - mosquitos, in particular - but if you put on repellant, it's not a big deal at all.
05. Jacksonville definately has some racism issues - it depends on what area of town you're in, though.

Old 06-06-2006, 03:12 PM

8 posts, read 40,877 times
Default thanks for your reply!

that's a good feedback...my research will go on...need to read more about magnet school program.....where else the schools are better in NE Florida?
i have a 4 yr old and another baby on the way.

Old 06-06-2006, 05:05 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,216,432 times
Default youre thinking of st augustine area???

youre lucky!!! you'll love it there... in jax'ville, there are many fla natives, and it is more southern and laid back than,say, south fla. i could imagine you will see some racism, but not too much. and trust me, i live in the mtns of nc, i see racism. jacksonville/ne fla = not too bad when it comes to racism (imo).

Old 06-10-2006, 05:21 PM

6 posts, read 27,854 times
I grew up in Jacksonville since 1979. Jacksonville is fast approaching large city status, while maintaining it's southern charm and hospitality. I went to the first academic magnet school and have appreciated it ever since. Jacksonville also has the largest city park system in the country, along with a thriving job market.

Old 06-13-2006, 11:09 PM

121 posts, read 786,210 times
Our family has been in NE Florida since 1906.

Take note the job market in Jacksonville is services oriented and there are not a significant percentage of jobs for professionals. Jacksonville has in the past and continues now to be run by a relatively small number of politically connected individuals. It is an introverted small town writ large, so to speak. It does not have a cosmopolitan perspective one sees in competing cities such as Orlando, Tampa, Charlotte, or even the much smaller Savannah. It is what I call a third tier city, that is the first tier being the Miamis, Atlantas, Bostons, New Yorks, the second tier being The Charlottes, Orlandos, Nashvilles, and Portlands. Third tier cities are that way for a reason. Most have been around for a long time. Jacksonville used to be the second most populous city in the state back in the 1960's. Relative to the rest of the state and the south it has moved backwards- superbowls and golf tournaments and a few good performing high schools aside. It is not a friendly place for people who think Jacksonville's politics, attitudes, and way of doing business can be improved. If you are sensitive to embedded attitudes that one can identify with the mid 20th century south, then I cannot recommend this city to you. Take a look at Fernandina Beach for a better town to live in, and you can easily commute to Jax if that is where you must work. Fernandina is VERY outgoing and friendly. People sail in from all over the planet. You can get to know the shopkeepers and regular patrons of the town and really feel that you are a part of a place with soul. Also there is more nightlife on Centre Street at the cafes and pubs than the entire central city of Jacksonville which is totally dead public space. You can get out of your car in Fernandina and start to relate to people on a real basis.

Last edited by daedalo; 06-14-2006 at 12:00 AM..

Old 06-14-2006, 06:00 AM

6 posts, read 27,854 times
Quote:
Our family has been in NE Florida since 1906.

Take note the job market in Jacksonville is services oriented and there are not a significant percentage of jobs for professionals. Jacksonville has in the past and continues now to be run by a relatively small number of politically connected individuals. It is an introverted small town writ large, so to speak. It does not have a cosmopolitan perspective one sees in competing cities such as Orlando, Tampa, Charlotte, or even the much smaller Savannah. It is what I call a third tier city, that is the first tier being the Miamis, Atlantas, Bostons, New Yorks, the second tier being The Charlottes, Orlandos, Nashvilles, and Portlands. Third tier cities are that way for a reason. Most have been around for a long time. Jacksonville used to be the second most populous city in the state back in the 1960's. Relative to the rest of the state and the south it has moved backwards- superbowls and golf tournaments and a few good performing high schools aside. It is not a friendly place for people who think Jacksonville's politics, attitudes, and way of doing business can be improved. If you are sensitive to embedded attitudes that one can identify with the mid 20th century south, then I cannot recommend this city to you. Take a look at Fernandina Beach for a better town to live in, and you can easily commute to Jax if that is where you must work. Fernandina is VERY outgoing and friendly. People sail in from all over the planet. You can get to know the shopkeepers and regular patrons of the town and really feel that you are a part of a place with soul. Also there is more nightlife on Centre Street at the cafes and pubs than the entire central city of Jacksonville which is totally dead public space. You can get out of your car in Fernandina and start to relate to people on a real basis.
I would completly disagree. Jacksonville does have a small town neighborly feel, but with outgoing completely positive people, who support life and success. I do agree the Fernandina has this same flavor, seeing that it is basically an extended suburb of Jacksonville. Either way, I enjoy this town tremendously and look forward to coming home, every time I go out of town to different tiered cities.

Old 06-14-2006, 02:42 PM

121 posts, read 786,210 times
Default Completely agree to disagree

Let us agree to disagree. Jacksonville can be and has been in the past a very stifiling place for those professionals who want to advance their careers. Talk with those that have been here for decades and who know about the politics of this city and they will confirm what I have said. In addition, the characterization that Fernandina Beach is a mere suburb of Jacksonville is grossly inaccurate. It has all the earmarks of a small town with complete representation of all the institutions that a good town should have. A suburb, like for instance, even the best suburbs of Jacksonville such as Riverside-Avondale or San Marco have substantially less to offer than Fernandina in the complete spectrum of town and civic activities.

I refuse to be a Jacksonville apologist, even though I grew up on the southside, graduated with high honors, received a graduate degree from UF, and have a lot to be thankful for from Jacksonville. It is simply not what it projects itself to be, and is not a place of substantial opportunities because it has a very limited national corporate community as compared to other cities of comparable size. The lack of a vigorous and diverse national corporate community is a result of these longstanding attitudes, and it is very much a chicken and egg problem. If you don't have "it" then its hard to get major corporate entities to relocate or expand to your city. Without a substantial nucleus of national corporate entities you cannot attract a large base of professionals who want to build their lives in that location. The major insurance companies, Bellsouth, and a few service centers for "high tech" industries are bottom-heavy low to middle payscale entities. Just look at the help wanted ads and compare this to other cities of comparable size elsewhere.

When there is one church for the politically connected to attend, where there are a limited number of addresses where the shakers and movers live, where there are only a few legitimate cultural venues, and when the mayor comes out and earmarks the low worker payscales as a major problem then you have my characterization of Jacksonville as a small town mentality writ large.

Old 08-08-2006, 01:35 AM

49 posts, read 271,552 times
{QUOTE: ".... is not a place of substantial opportunities because it has a very limited national corporate community as compared to other cities of comparable size. The lack of a vigorous and diverse national corporate community is a result of these longstanding attitudes..."}

I couldn't agree more with you. We were transplanted here in JAX from the Northeast corridor where jobs were plentiful feeding out of NYC. Unfortunately, 4 years after our relocation, the company that transplanted us here merged with another and relocated themselves right out of the state of Florida. Unless one has an extensive financial background, is a service worker, or is specially a doctor or nurse, good luck for any other "Corporate" type job and particularly one that pays half way decent. Even the headhunters here cater to primarly customer service positions and mostly temporary at that like; call centers, secretarial....and the pay stinks! $22,000/yr seems to be every company's favorite figure! Hell, I was making that 20 years ago! The military is a big employer here, but good luck trying to find a job with them if you're just a civilian. There's definitely a "who you know" mentality here, and not many avenues to help transplants break through that. I didn't see them advertise THAT when they where trying to promote JAX during the Superbowl.

Old 10-30-2006, 01:09 PM

156 posts, read 711,227 times
Default Magnet schools in St Augustine

Do you know of any magnet schools in the St Augustine area that offer dance? Middle or high school. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida