Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 11:29 AM

17 posts, read 48,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDeDo View Post
And how do you feel about people who choose to retire in Florida?
What do you expect us natives to say? It's not easy hearing that you're a part of a problem, is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 11:48 AM

464 posts, read 1,741,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBob View Post
When you are on the road how do you tell who is a local Floridian and who is a tourist? Almost everyone is from somewhere else. Tourist/snow birds drive cars with Florida plates.
I always laugh when people complain about Florida drivers and then tell me how much better behaved the drivers are from where they come from. The people that your complaining about came from where you come from.
Maybe only bad drivers move to Florida. Ya think?
1. You can tell a Tourist because they usually have at least one camera hung around thier neck with Jimmy Buffet cranked up on the CD player trying to get into what they percieve is the Florida Coast culture ; many native Floridians are tired of hearing Jimmy Buffet music, usually stare in contempt of the Tourist in the car next to them, and purposely spin thier tires when pulling away to outwardly show their disdain toward those unwelcomed Infiltrators horning in on 'Their' territory (lol.... ) 2. If almost everyone in Floridia is from somewhere else, then native Floridians are the minority and they should be a little more humble since the State pulls in huge revenues ...so much so ...that the natives dont even have to pay State Income Tax. (Ill bet youll kiss every Tourist you see from now on , wont cha ?! ...lol..) 3. I think most natives in every state have a problem attitude with entitlement and resent outsiders coming for a stay , or worse...to live. Its a shame because its one of the things which is supposed to make living in America so great and fun ; you know....All for One and One for all !

Old 09-05-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trina42 View Post
What do you expect us natives to say? It's not easy hearing that you're a part of a problem, is it?
According to the State of Florida, Tourists are part of the solution ; so much so that Natives dont even have to pay State Income Tax. Perhaps its the Natives that need to be a little more humble , grateful, and respectful toward Tourists ... and I hope you will go down to the local Pub tonight that is filled with camera-toating Tourists and announce the next round of drinks are on Me !

Old 09-05-2008, 12:08 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Without tourists, our economy would be much worse off than it is - thank God for our tourists! And by the way, tourism is up this year, of course many folks from our own state are "tourists" in other cities here because of economic times.

Another nice boon from having a lot of tourists is that we get lots of nice amenities that some of our towns just would not otherwise have whether it is attractions, restaurants, shopping, etc. Tourists help fill the state coffers and we don't have to pay as much tax. Honestly, I don't know why ANYONE would resent tourists! And I myself enjoy being a "tourist" now and then!

Old 09-05-2008, 12:15 PM

I DIDN'T SAY THAT TOURISTS ARE A PROBLEM! I love tourists. I work as a tour guide part of the year, so a big part of my income would disappear if the tourists went away.

MIGRANTS are a problem, not tourists. Migrants move to Florida from another region of the country. Tourists visit, then go back home.

Is that clear now, or do I need to explain the difference a bit more?

Old 09-05-2008, 03:12 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Default Retirement

Quote:
I just want to go back to where I came from (Long Island) in retirement (6 years?). I do not want to just live among nothing but old people, as is the case in so much of Florida. I want to go back to NY and just blend in among the old, young, and everybody in between. I do not want to become a "joke" (Florida where America goes to die bumber stickers) in my old age.

Let let me die in obscurity and peace.

Old 09-05-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Without tourists, our economy would be much worse off than it is - thank God for our tourists! And by the way, tourism is up this year, of course many folks from our own state are "tourists" in other cities here because of economic times.

Another nice boon from having a lot of tourists is that we get lots of nice amenities that some of our towns just would not otherwise have whether it is attractions, restaurants, shopping, etc. Tourists help fill the state coffers and we don't have to pay as much tax. Honestly, I don't know why ANYONE would resent tourists! And I myself enjoy being a "tourist" now and then!

Well said and i agree.

Old 09-05-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
I DIDN'T SAY THAT TOURISTS ARE A PROBLEM! I love tourists. I work as a tour guide part of the year, so a big part of my income would disappear if the tourists went away.

MIGRANTS are a problem, not tourists. Migrants move to Florida from another region of the country. Tourists visit, then go back home.

Is that clear now, or do I need to explain the difference a bit more?
Why are mygrants a problem to The State of Florida, your locale, and you personally ? Please explain your rationale behind your assertion. Did a Mygrant cut you off in traffic sometime in the past or something ?! Im going to be 'a Mygrant' to the Panhandle in a few months and i see myself as part of the solution , not problem. How did you develop biggotry toward people who desire to live in Florida ?

Old 09-05-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDeDo View Post
Why are mygrants a problem to The State of Florida, your locale, and you personally ? Please explain your rationale behind your assertion. Did a Mygrant cut you off in traffic sometime in the past or something ?! Im going to be 'a Mygrant' to the Panhandle in a few months and i see myself as part of the solution , not problem. How did you develop biggotry toward people who desire to live in Florida ?
Dictionary.com defines a bigot as, "a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion." I do not practice intolerance of creed, belief, or opinion. I have not developed bigotry towards anyone.

Perhaps you might ask the question, "Why do you wish Florida's population growth to slow?"

The answer is, because the population growth in Florida is double the national average. As a county commissioner, I have personally seen the catastrophic results of uncontrolled population growth. My county's water table is depleted, our roads need repair, and the waterways are polluted because of over-fishing and hyper-tourism.

The REAL question is this: Why do you want Florida to suffocate and die just so you can retire here?

Last edited by Trina42; 09-05-2008 at 07:18 PM..

Old 09-05-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Dictionary.com defines a bigot as, "a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion." I do not practice intolerance of creed, belief, or opinion. I have not developed bigotry towards anyone.

Perhaps you might ask the question, "Why do you wish Florida's population growth to slow?"

The answer is, because the population growth in Florida is double the national average. As a county commissioner, I have personally seen the catastrophic results of uncontrolled population growth. My county's water table is depleted, our roads need repair, and the waterways are polluted because of over-fishing and hyper-tourism.

Why do you want Florida to suffocate and die just so you can retire here?
I as well as millions of others who have moved to Florida from elsewhere, have the belief that they are free to live anywhere they like in the USA and without persecution. Our own Government supports that freedom too. Ergo, I ask again , why the bigottry toward those who wish to make Florida their home ?

I dont wish Floridas population to slow ; ill be helping it to grow when i arrive in Florida just as the other millions of people have.

' As a county commissioner, I have personally seen the catastrophic results of uncontrolled population growth. My county's water table is depleted, our roads need repair, and the waterways are polluted because of over-fishing and hyper-tourism' . REPLY: Use the revenue which you obtained thru Tourism and get your infastructure fixed , but dont denigrate your fellow Americans freedom rights to live where they like.

'Why do you want Florida to suffocate and die just so you can retire here?' REPLY : Florida looks like its doing just fine with Tourists and Migrants ; if it wasnt, Jeb Bush would step in to change that. Im coming to live in your State because im an entitled American according to our Bill of Rights ; if you have a problem with that, please email Congress at your ealiest convenience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida