Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 05:18 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
A/C is what makes Florida acceptable year round. Your post is like saying try going a week in January without heat in Montana.

I am not aware of any tropical or sub tropical climates where a/c is not used
on a regular basis. Why should FL be different?
It certainly does. And anyone who says they don't use their A/C most of the year is either lying or can't afford to run it.

It is currently 82 degrees at 7pm with 60% humidity, that is hardly open the windows to get a cool breeze weather.

Will be close to 90 tomorrow.

When it gets down to highs in the 70s and is dry then you can turn off the A/C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 07:13 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,651,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It certainly does. And anyone who says they don't use their A/C most of the year is either lying or can't afford to run it. dubious

It is currently 82 degrees at 7pm with 60% humidity, that is hardly open the windows to get a cool breeze weather.

Haven't had my AC on for weeks and probably won't for the next 6 months.
Certainly not lying as you can check my posts going back to when I joined the forum 4 years or so ago and I usually turn the air on and off around the same time. It just so happens these same type threads come up often enough that I am sure I mentioned when I usually turn the air off.
Definitely not a matter of funds, I just happened to move to a climate I prefer so I usually don't need AC to have it the way I like it.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:27 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,616,968 times
Born here in the mid 40's and didn't have it until the 90's. Problem is the work places have it and when you get home you do need it. Our schools only had open windows and big floor fans for all 12 years in school and I don't really remember being uncomfortable. We did have an exchange student who only lasted a week or two and had to return to Sweden... I can understand that. It's is a good thing that not everyone likes FL. If they did the loss of farm land would be devastating. No AC running at night now and not much in the day time.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:13 AM

101 posts, read 272,390 times
Default no AC on here either...love this weather

I can't stand having the house all closed up - can't breathe. Bring in the breeze- if the temp drops below 79 I get cold and I always take a jacket when I shop.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:08 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,142,671 times
Regardless of the temperature/humidity outside, my thermostat stays set at 80 in the warm months and 72 in the cooler months. The a/c unit goes on and off as needed throughout the year. Its a set environment indoors for me.

Perhaps I miss the point of your posting. Are you saying that it's not necessary or it wrong to control your environment?

Thanks for the weather report.

Quote:
It certainly does. And anyone who says they don't use their A/C most of the year is either lying or can't afford to run it.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:17 PM

16,905 posts, read 16,133,395 times
Quote:
Sorry,most people run their A/C most of the year. In fact you have to keep the house dry and free of mold by running the A/C.

Snowbirds when they leave keep the A/C on around 80 degrees, because if they don't leave it running they come back to a mold problem.

Open a restaurant, a barber shop, a clothing store here and not have any A/C and see how long you last....LOL.

Just because people move out of cold climates doesn't mean they want to live in a house with sweat running down their faces either, they use the A/C.

They moved to get away from snow and ice, but they still want to be physically comfortable.

And to be comfortable in FL it requires A/C most of the year.
So? What's your point? I love the Florida weather and I love my A/C....so? What's wrong with that? People like being at the beach but they use sunscreen....so?
I think it's a pretty silly point you're making, myself.
I like the rain but I stand under my porch....I like to play in the snow but I dress warm...........

Old 10-17-2011, 01:39 PM

10,236 posts, read 6,324,092 times
It's been raining since yesterday and is only in the 70s! I LOVE this. Almost feels like Fall. I still have my AC on, and actually even made it COLDER. I have it set at 70 now to try to make it more Fall like. I saw it is supposed to get into the 50s at night on Tuesday and Wednesday! Is this a mistake? Seems unbelieveable for Naples in October. If true, then I will SHUT OFF the AC and open windows. PLEASE let it be true.

I have a question though. Why do people in Florida NOT use umbrellas when it rains? They will still walk around in shorts and flip flops. You like getting your clothes, and especially, your feet all wet? I do like rain but I will wear SHOES and SOCKS in the rain and use an UMBRELLA.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:23 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,307,416 times
Quote:
I rarely use it. I'll use a fan, if anything. And I walk to work most days. Imagine that.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:01 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,127,272 times
Windows have been opened for the last week or so since it's been cooler. I think this trend wil continue through April.

If you think the weather is so great somewhere it is cooler I challenge you to live there without using heat in the winter. See how stupid that sounds?

Old 10-18-2011, 05:05 PM

10,236 posts, read 6,324,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Windows have been opened for the last week or so since it's been cooler. I think this trend wil continue through April.

If you think the weather is so great somewhere it is cooler I challenge you to live there without using heat in the winter. See how stupid that sounds?
It totally depends where you are in Florida when you open your windows. MAJOR differnce between Miami and Jacksonville.

Rare, but I HAVE put on the heat in SW Florida. It has gotten into the 40s at night in the Winters. I CAN live without heat in the 50s and 60s, even though some people would be freezing even with those temps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida