Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 03:34 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,164,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian21 View Post
I debated posting it in the orlando forum but I figured I would get more answers in the general florida forum. If a mod wants to move it feel free to do so.
Let's wait, you are getting answers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 05:13 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,719 times
The gen ed courses are usually taught by TAs in auditoriums. But I was thinking of going there and I noticed all of the core courses in the major had as many as 50-100 per class. I thought that was odd so I decided not to go.

Last edited by nitokenshi; 07-09-2008 at 05:37 PM..

Old 07-09-2008, 05:30 PM

105 posts, read 478,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
The gen ed courses are usually taught by TAs in auditoriums. But I was thinking of going there and I noticed all of the core courses in the major had as little as 50-100 per class. I thought that was odd so I decided not to go.
I'm not sure I'm following you there. You prefer more people in the classes your taking? Have you decided where your going to go?

Old 07-09-2008, 05:38 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,719 times
I meant to say "as many" not "as little" my bad. Yea I just transfered into the AI.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:23 AM

105 posts, read 478,179 times
Prettygyrl I've heard the parking situation is really bad at ucf. Was it any better for motorcycle riders?

Old 07-10-2008, 02:56 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,940,698 times
It was just as bad for motorcycle riders. If you lived on campus, you had better luck leaving your vehicle at your dorm and walking rather than trying to park near your classroom building. When I left, they were in the process of building a new parking garage so I'm not sure if that alleviated the problem or not.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:07 PM

44 posts, read 230,091 times
Parking is a nightmare the first 2 weeks or so of the semester. As the semester goes on parking gets better. The new parking garage has eliminated some of the problem. Also UCF has a shuttle bus that you can ride to and from school. Or even the city bus.I love UCF, I wouldnt want to go to any other university!Go KNIGHTS

Old 11-19-2008, 12:12 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,942,377 times
Well I go here now so I'll give you some info.

Whether UCF is good or bad depends a lot on your major. Remember, UCF used to be called Florida Tech so there is an emphasis on the computer science/engineering majors, and they have an excellent program. Vocational majors such as hospitality management and health related majors are also very good at UCF. However, liberal arts majors are definitley not a priority here so I would advise looking elsewhere if you are a liberal arts major. As a history major, I found the lack of availabilty of classes in the liberal arts alarming and am seriously considering transfer because of it.

Simply put, parking is a breeze if you live on campus, and a nightmare if you live off campus, unless you get the shuttle.

UCF is easy. That does not refer to the classes, it refers to UCF as a whole. The circular design makes UCF quite easy to navigate, shopping is close and convenient, major highways are close by to allow for long distance travel, and the buildings are named after their function instead of some donor from a hundred years ago so it is easy to figure out where you need to go.

As for the huge lecture halls and TA's....well you'll find that here to an extent, mostly in Gen Ed courses or in the beginning courses for a popular major. However, some professors do have hard to understand accents all the way up to graduation level courses. Use a professor rating site, it'll really help.

Transferring should not be a problem, UCF is a transfer friendly school.

On the downside, do not expect a traditional college experience as UCF is mostly a commuter school, do not expect great athletics as UCF lags far behind even USF let alone UF or FSU or UM in that area, and do not expect top notch academics in every major. UCF is great in some, a joke in others... I'll advise you to carefully consider that before transferring. Also, UCF itself is not much of a party school, partying does not occur on campus....it's all off campus in bars and clubs, do not expect dorm parties or anything like that, the UCF police are very strict and enforce it strictly, and OPD and OCSO are not very lenient about it either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida