Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2023, 09:29 AM

4 posts, read 5,740 times

Advertisements

When in doubt, ask the internet right?

I’m looking for feedback as our family is looking to sell our home in Delray Beach. While we love Delray Beach, we are ready to move out of our neighborhood and unfortunately, Palm Beach County is out of our price range—and the cost of living a bit too. We are an interracial family and while that doesn’t determine where we live, I personally want some diversity in the area we choose.

I work remote and my husband works primarily remote but goes to the office two days a week, but there are locations for his job he can easily transfer to in PSL, Jacksonville, and Daytona.

We have been interested in Port Saint Lucie for a while but the prices have skyrocketed there as well (and all over, I know, I know). That’s the biggest con to us… higher property taxes, less house, and looks like home after home. We love the diversity and proximity to the beaches, commute back to Palm Beach County (to visit family) and parks and whatnot.

We checked out Saint Augustine and love how well-rated the area and entire St John’s county is… but those prices are also a bit high for us and I’m not a fan of HOAs or CDD fees. So we stumbled upon some Jacksonville suburbs and areas. I see some good schools and diversity, but is there a lot of crime? I like that it is still close to beaches and has lots to offer families. Would this be the better fit for our family?

Palm Coast is so much more affordable than these other places. I know it is a bedroom community but we love natural trails and the beach. We are laid back anyway and we don’t mind driving for more entertainment on a weekend when we do want to do something. Looks like you could get way more house and property here, property taxes are lower, certain neighborhoods have good school districts. How is diversity and why is everyone always saying it is boring? Seems like a nice spot to live but longer commute.

I don’t want us to make the wrong decision and want to give our kids the best chance at a future and that begins with good schools so that is most important to us but we also want to be happy where we move. I think we would be happy if we had a pretty good school district, some diversity, not too far drive to shopping (groceries and restaurants), and some proximity to beaches and trails.

I am super concerned that we have something good here in Delray (except not on this neighborhood exactly) so I don’t want to go somewhere where our quality of life is reduced.. the goal is to improve quality of life.

Please, please, please share your input!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2023, 12:45 PM

27,201 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Jacksonville would be my recommendation as there are some good non-HOA neighborhoods with great schools. They range in location and vibe so whatever best suits you. Beachside check out Jacksonville Beach and Neptune Beach. On the northside Fernandina Beach and Yulee. Southside across the river look into Fleming Island and Orange Park.

Old 01-06-2023, 04:01 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,618,642 times
As someone that did a similar move a long time ago, forget both Jacksonville and Palm Coast. Too far and too country culturally for those of us from South FL. Port Saint Lucie is a nice affordable alternative. It won't compare to Delray but it'll give you the break you're looking for without that much of a drastic change in lifestyle. My personal advice is that you should stay put in Delray however. You have a good thing going and enjoy your life and family and friends there, then stay and try to make it work and have faith things will come through.

Old 01-11-2023, 08:30 AM

13,615 posts, read 7,927,714 times
Palm Coast is the very definition of "soulless".

Old 01-11-2023, 05:06 PM

679 posts, read 877,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I agree with EscAlaMike about Palm Coast and Port St. Lucie is almost as bad. It’s just one huge area of suburban sprawl. The only place that wouldn’t be a huge step down from Delray is Ormond Beach. In fact it reminds me of Delray, somewhat. Cute little downtown, great restaurants, nice beaches, friendly people. It’s just north of Daytona so it would be an easy commute for your husband.

Old 01-11-2023, 05:08 PM

233 posts, read 230,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
As someone that did a similar move a long time ago, forget both Jacksonville and Palm Coast. Too far and too country culturally for those of us from South FL. Port Saint Lucie is a nice affordable alternative. It won't compare to Delray but it'll give you the break you're looking for without that much of a drastic change in lifestyle. My personal advice is that you should stay put in Delray however. You have a good thing going and enjoy your life and family and friends there, then stay and try to make it work and have faith things will come through.
I also think you should stay in Delray. You already have a homestead there. Once you move out of South Florida, it will be that much harder to move back in.

Old 01-11-2023, 07:51 PM

13,615 posts, read 7,927,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulippsy View Post
I agree with EscAlaMike about Palm Coast and Port St. Lucie is almost as bad. It’s just one huge area of suburban sprawl. The only place that wouldn’t be a huge step down from Delray is Ormond Beach. In fact it reminds me of Delray, somewhat. Cute little downtown, great restaurants, nice beaches, friendly people. It’s just north of Daytona so it would be an easy commute for your husband.
Ormond Beach is my hometown that I was basically priced out of. My parents still live there and can really only afford to stay because their house which they bought over 20 years ago is paid off. While it is very nice, you'll pay for it both in upfront housing cost and property taxes.

Old 01-12-2023, 03:28 PM

679 posts, read 877,819 times
Quote:
Ormond Beach is my hometown that I was basically priced out of. My parents still live there and can really only afford to stay because their house which they bought over 20 years ago is paid off. While it is very nice, you'll pay for it both in upfront housing cost and property taxes.
Sorry to hear that. We sold our house in Weston and my condo in Pompano beach in 2014. When we decided to move back to Florida in 2022 we definitely had sticker shock. Retired and living on a fixed income, we were priced out pretty much anywhere I wanted to live (Treasure Coast and north, east side). Which is why we bought a manufactured home. Yes, I live near the coast in a prefab in a state that has hurricanes. Just a couple of crazy kids here!

But, I digress. Back to the subject at hand: OP, scratch Ormond Beach off your list. Stay put. You would spend more money for less house, and in a less desirable area. Hope you can figure out a way to make Delray work for you.

Old 01-12-2023, 03:37 PM

17,302 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
Just like "Zero Beach" aka Vero

Old 01-12-2023, 03:38 PM

17,302 posts, read 22,030,713 times
I think the OP would get better responses if they mentioned their price point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida