Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2021, 04:25 PM

202 posts, read 352,349 times

Advertisements

Hey all! We will be flying into Florida mid May-ish and staying for a few days. We will be staying at the Sandestin in Miramar Beach area. We went two years ago and we flew into the Destin airport but now I’m wondering if we should fly into Panama City Beach. From Destin it’s about 50 minutes to our lodging, and about an hour from Panama City Beach. I do remember the traffic being awful in Destin and I’m wondering if anyone has any insight on the drive coming from Panama City , and if perhaps I should take that route instead? Flight and car rentals are both comparable in price so that’s not an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2021, 10:26 PM

653 posts, read 587,710 times
My wife and I flew into PCB once and it was an easy airport to traverse.
Based on my experience visiting the area; the traffic isn't too bad so long as you avoid the typical rush hour timeframes (0700 - 0900 & 1500-1800) during the week. Weekend travel changes the traffic dynamic.

If flying into PCB provides a cost savings to you and you have flight time flexibility then I think going the PCB airport option could be a good choice.

Bon Voyage!

Old 03-17-2021, 11:04 PM

202 posts, read 352,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick In Madison View Post
My wife and I flew into PCB once and it was an easy airport to traverse.
Based on my experience visiting the area; the traffic isn't too bad so long as you avoid the typical rush hour timeframes (0700 - 0900 & 1500-1800) during the week. Weekend travel changes the traffic dynamic.

If flying into PCB provides a cost savings to you and you have flight time flexibility then I think going the PCB airport option could be a good choice.

Bon Voyage!
Thank you Rick!

Old 03-22-2021, 09:05 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,724,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiev111 View Post
Hey all! We will be flying into Florida mid May-ish and staying for a few days. We will be staying at the Sandestin in Miramar Beach area. We went two years ago and we flew into the Destin airport but now I’m wondering if we should fly into Panama City Beach. From Destin it’s about 50 minutes to our lodging, and about an hour from Panama City Beach. I do remember the traffic being awful in Destin and I’m wondering if anyone has any insight on the drive coming from Panama City , and if perhaps I should take that route instead? Flight and car rentals are both comparable in price so that’s not an issue.
The Panama City airport is actually pretty far west of Panama city and north of the beach traffic in PCB. I have used both airports regularly. It's a pretty smooth stretch driving from PC to Sandestin, that is where the major traffic starts heading west. Just remember to use the second SanDestin Entrance coming from the East. Unless you are staying beachside.

Old 03-22-2021, 10:22 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
VPS (Valpariso) Airport is in Destin; whereas PCB (Panama City) is about 60-miles away from Sandestin and Miramar Beach. Pensacola Airport is also about 65 miles away, but the bridge from 98 to Pensacola has been out since 'Michael' (storm)--- If you cannot get a flight in/out of VPS (Delta, Southwest, Allegiant), PCB would be your best alternative.

Old 03-22-2021, 08:43 PM

1,848 posts, read 3,724,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
VPS (Valpariso) Airport is in Destin; whereas PCB (Panama City) is about 60-miles away from Sandestin and Miramar Beach. Pensacola Airport is also about 65 miles away, but the bridge from 98 to Pensacola has been out since 'Michael' (storm)--- If you cannot get a flight in/out of VPS (Delta, Southwest, Allegiant), PCB would be your best alternative.
VPS is not in Destin. It is on the far side of Valparaiso, or the north side of Eglin. It is actually about 20 miles from Destin. Roughly another 8 Miles to Sandestin.

The airport in Panama City Beach is actually called ECP and is about 40 miles to Sandestin, but it is usually wide open on hwy 98, vs traffic in Destin. And depending on when you arrive, you avoid the traffic at the toll bridge.

And it was Hurricane Sally not Micheal that took out the Pensacola Bridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida