Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 03:56 PM

374 posts, read 1,630,040 times

Advertisements

The news reported that today a suspected arsonist has been arrested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 04:40 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,496,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyb0077 View Post
The news reported that today a suspected arsonist has been arrested.
I saw that on our local news here also, if this guy did in fact set those fires I hope they lock him up for the rest of his life. How ever a life sentence would not be justice enough for all the damage these fires did.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:01 PM

374 posts, read 1,630,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
I saw that on our local news here also, if this guy did in fact set those fires I hope they lock him up for the rest of his life. How ever a life sentence would not be justice enough for all the damage these fires did.
You've got that right!

Old 05-14-2008, 05:06 PM

185 posts, read 653,115 times
Throw the book at him!

I hope that is happens to this fellow who set these fires. My prayers and thoughts go out to the ones who lost homes, but also the wildlife that parrished.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:26 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,056,440 times
some other tips....keep the vegetation DOWN and have a water supply source available. If you have a fire hydrant within 75ft of your home, I would go to ebay.com and buy a 100 ft. section of 1 1/2 or 1 3/4 hose. You can also get 2 1/2 hose....but you would suffer too much friction loss and the stream would not be powerfull enough for "amateur" firefighting purposes. Then buy a nozzle that is compatible with the hose. The hydrant pressure, large diameter hose and nozzle will be more than enough pressure to keep your home safe and sound. The key is to wet it continually as the fire approaches. Of course, if it's very smokey outside, you may want to invest in some type of respirator. I am NOT advising you to fight fire.....I am NOT adivising you to get into harms way. But if you feel you must do something, you could at least do this. MOD Deleted Hose 100" 1 1/2 with extras All Brass. - eBay (item 130220968429 end time May-14-08 21:31:31 PDT)[/url] (that reducer you see is pretty much essential for hooking up to a hydrant, since most hydrants have 2 1/2 inch discharges and you need that reducer to to attach to a typical 1 3/4 hose.) You would also need a hydrant wrench, although any very large heavy duty type wrench would do the job theoretically. MOD Deleted Brand New FIRE HOSE Hydrant/ Spanner Wrench - eBay (item 130221451343 end time May-16-08 17:18:14 PDT)[/url]

Some other tips :

[LEFT]Rake leaves, dead limbs and twigs.
Remove leaves and rubbish from under structures.
Clear a 15-foot space between tree crowns, and remove limbs within 15 feet of the ground.
Remove dead branches that extend over the roof.
Trim tree branches and shrubs within 15 feet of a stovepipe or chimney outlet.
Ask the power company to clear branches from power lines.
Remove vines from the walls of the home.
Mow grass regularly.
Clear a 10-foot area around propane tanks and grills. Place a screen over the grill – use non-flammable material with mesh.
Regularly throw away newspapers and trash at an approved site. Follow local burning regulations.
Place any ashes in a metal bucket, soak in water for two days and then bury the ashes in mineral soil.
Store gasoline, oily rags and other flammable materials in approved safety cans. Place cans in a safe location away from buildings.
Stack firewood at least 100 feet away and uphill from your home. Use only UL-approved wood-burning devices. [/LEFT]

Last edited by sunrico90; 05-14-2008 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: Links not allowed...

Old 05-14-2008, 08:26 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,171,193 times
Exclamation Leave Fire Hydrants to the Pros!

The fire department will most likely be using any hydrants near you, so please don't try this yourself. You could waste gallons of water seriously needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida