Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2008, 07:06 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,222,796 times

Advertisements

Before I enrolled my children in a private school using the state MCKay Scholarship, the Department of Education told me and the school how much the state would pay toward my children's tuition. It did not pay the full amount and I had to pay several thousand for each to supplement the scholarships.

The property tax cut that the governor supported was retroactive to January of this year and now the amount of the McKay Scholarship has also been cut retroactively. And with school almost out, McKay parents have to come up with the difference right away.

When I called the Department of Education last month, they told me the new reduced amounts of the final checks that would be going to the school for each child. However, when the checks came, they were hundreds of dollars less than even the reduced amounts they stated on the phone.

And all tuition must be paid by the end of the school year- which is less than two months away.

Does anyone know of a class-action suit for McKay parents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 03:36 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,171,298 times
Here is the link for the program: McKay Scholarship Program

A bit of history on this matter;

A lawsuit (Holmes v. Bush) challenging the constitutionality of Florida’s Opportunity Scholarship Program
http://www.fsu.edu/~pea/newsletters/..._fall_2002.pdf

Safeguarding Educational Freedom:
Latest Legal Showdown for School Choice Heads to Florida Supreme Court

Institute for Justice: School Choice Cases: Florida Opportunity Scholarship Program
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida