Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2018, 07:57 PM

49 posts, read 46,755 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I've been doing my fair share of googling but there is one thing that keeps me confused.

I've heard that southern Florida has a higher crime rate, yet when I type in "Safest areas in Florida", nearly ALL of the are south.

For example? Parkland, Weston, ect.

I was wondering why this is, and if anyone could tell me some nice areas in southern or central florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 08:38 PM

24,413 posts, read 27,043,098 times
There are a lot of nice and safe areas in South Florida...

Palm Beach Gardens
Wellington
Boca Raton
Weston

and more...

Old 07-10-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
There are a lot of nice and safe areas in South Florida...

Palm Beach Gardens
Wellington
Boca Raton
Weston

and more...
Yeah, at first it seemed like a non-issue, but reading / watching videos on people who live in south florida, they literally go out of their way to highlight that south florida has a higher crime rate.

Yet.... almost every single city on the list of "Safest" is in the south.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy92l View Post
Yeah, at first it seemed like a non-issue, but reading / watching videos on people who live in south florida, they literally go out of their way to highlight that south florida has a higher crime rate.

Yet.... almost every single city on the list of "Safest" is in the south.

I used to live in Boca Raton, which is in the middle of these areas. It's very nice and safe.

If you want to live in Fort Lauderdale, Weston is a nice and safe suburb.

If you want to live in West Palm Beach, Wellington is a nice and safe suburb.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:02 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,089,164 times
In general crime in Florida is very segmented, so even cities that are considered high crime typically don't have a widespread issue..but one or two contained areas where the majority of crime occurs. Crime rates can be a useful tool but do realize the stats are run by zip code, which can encompass a good bit of geography.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
In general crime in Florida is very segmented, so even cities that are considered high crime typically don't have a widespread issue..but one or two contained areas where the majority of crime occurs. Crime rates can be a useful tool but do realize the stats are run by zip code, which can encompass a good bit of geography.
Yes! This is something that I have heard as well.

What about Northern florida? My initial post was meant to ask this but I said south by mistake.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy92l View Post
Yes! This is something that I have heard as well.

What about Northern florida? My initial post was meant to ask this but I said south by mistake.

It applies to every part of Florida. Florida cities are spread out, so there are areas in each city where you don't need to worry about crime. There is never a guarantee of course, but I've never lived anywhere safer than where I currently live in Orlando and I've lived in a lot of cities. However, there are some very high crime areas of Orlando too, so it depends on your budget, etc.

Old 07-11-2018, 03:47 PM

8,081 posts, read 4,759,925 times
Keep in mind that although there are (thankfully) many relatively low-crime towns and cities in South Florida, this does not mean you should not 'shop around' to find those safe havens. There are some places that you would be smart to avoid, and they can often be very close to one of those "low crime" havens. Where I live, most of our property crimes (break-ins, car thefts, etc.) are committed by people who drive in from neighboring counties (especially Broward) to commit the crimes, which can be a strange existence. You have to remind yourself that the criminal element is as mobile as anyone else, and just because you find a safe haven, you aren't inaccessible. As you watch the local news, you tend to hear the same city/place names over and over when they speak of violent crimes (and those who commit them), so you pick up on where not to live if that sort of stuff puts you off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida