Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 11:31 AM

44 posts, read 196,640 times

Advertisements

just want your opinions about the diffrence especially in the cost of living. looking to settle in sebastian. any info will help-thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2006, 01:46 PM

49 posts, read 282,705 times
Hi,
I moved here from southern NH (just 15 minutes from the Massachusetts border). This is what I have noticed as far as cost of living:
Homes-less expensive
Services-lawn, pool, hair/nails-less expensive
Food-same; but hard to find good quality beef down here for some reason.
Utilities-electric is less (even with the A/C),
Water-higher because of the lawn sprinklers
Wages-slightly less perhaps, but not much as far as I have seen.
Clothing/Merchandise-same (but NH did not have sales tax so that is more)
Insurance-I know I am going to get rebuttle on this from everyone, but the truth is my home owners insurance and auto insurance is the same as it was in NH!
One good note to mention: Florida does not have income tax like Massachusetts.
Come visit and look around for yourself. I, unfortunately do not know anything about the area of Sebastian that you mentioned, but I wish you the best of luck in your search process!

Old 11-28-2006, 02:52 PM

5 posts, read 15,174 times
Homes-less expensive
Food-no where as good as Mass I can hardly find chourico
Utilities-cost me 150-200 a month for electric 2000 sq ft home
Water-costs me 20/month but I have city water septic and dont water my lawn.
Wages-Less minimum wage is at the federal level as you know mass is much higher.
Clothing/Merchandise-can cost more in smaller towns because the stores arent trying to be competitive.
Insurance-car insurance is cheaper for me but house is not I paid 400/year in ma here I pay 1500/year

I've been here for 18 months from Fall River Ma. Im looking to find another place in Florida as the place I chose does not fit my lifestyle.

good luck!

Old 11-28-2006, 02:53 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Default I disagree with some of this...

I think you've painted a very rosy picture...

I lived in Mass and moved to Orlando and Fort Myers, Florida. Then I escaped. However, my Dad and a lot of family lives kind of near Sebastian (Melbourne).

First of all, it really depends on where in Mass you are moving from.

We found the grocieries to be a lot higher, and that was everywhere in Florida. We could never figure out why. In the middle of the state, there are all kinds of agricultural and cattle farms. I think they overprice because they can get away with it.

Housing: that will definitely depend on where you are moving from. Should be slightly cheaper. Maybe.

Clothes are definitely more expensive because of the taxes.

I agree that electricity is much cheaper, even with A/C.

I found Orlando to be friendly and Fort Myers to not be. I only ran into two transplants from Mass and they hated the people, too.

HOWEVER, you are moving to the other side and there are a lot of Northeasterners there. My family is very happy there.

Old 11-28-2006, 02:56 PM

Default Sorry!

I was responding to NHtoFL!

And how could I forget the most important one?

Wages the same?

You have got to be KIDDING!

Not even close. Big service industry. Companies constantly whine that they can't find workers but refuse to pay them a decent wage.

There ARE some employment opportunities in the Melbourne area. Harris is a big company there.

Old 11-28-2006, 03:50 PM

I am moving from worcester,ma so any of you from ma know how bad this area is and continues to get the only thing i want is a good quality of life for my kids and i do have some family in south fl. but i dont want ot live there. so the expenses will even out than? higher wages up here but taxes and homes are through the roof and the schools arent getting any better with all the budget cut so i ma hoping to find that diffrent it seems like smaller classroom there. and i am going to rent for the mean time and hold onto my house here which i rented. i have visted the area and it seems lovely would any of you go back to mass????????or new england????????

Old 11-28-2006, 04:10 PM

49 posts, read 282,705 times
Default Hiknapster-

Hiknapster-
I qualified my remarks with the words "from what I have seen". I can only base the salaries on my husband's and my professions. (sales and pediatric Occupational Therapist) and from those of our closest friends who happen to disclose their pay to us. In fact, as a therapist, my pay was higher down here then up north. I am sure everything varies depending on what field one is in. I am just speaking from MY own experiences. We are in a much better situation here then we were in NH.

Old 11-28-2006, 04:17 PM

Default Too funny!

Guess what? I'm from the Worcester area, too!

Oxford.

I wouldn't do it, if I were you.

If I had a chance to move back to New England and could afford a home I would do it in a heartbeat.

I was ESPECIALLY disenchanted with the school system. I have to say I like Tennessee's much better.

Florida's schools are terribly overcrowded. Most schools have those modular units to house the students. You have to remember that Florida was inundated with people and the existing buildings just couldn't keep up. Now that the housing prices have gone through the roof, the school's are having a hard time attracting teachers. They are DEFINITELY getting less picky about who they hire because they are so desperate.

My daughter was in Kindergarten for six weeks. The poor teacher spend the entire day discipling unruly students. We were in a decent area, but Lee County had school choice. That is a joke. There is no choice about it. They send the kids where they want.

Anyways, my daughter came home everyday with TONS of work. You could tell that teacher just couldn't get to teaching. The FIRST day of school she had to send two kids to the principal's office!

And all of the work is in Spanish/English. Half of my daughter's class didn't speak English!

Bear in mind, we lived in a very nice and overpriced area of Florida!

Oh, and kiss all that great New England food goodbye! I never realized how good the food was until I moved.

You'll see.

Old 11-28-2006, 04:24 PM

that is what i am afraid of leaving but not being able to get back in but again i wouldnt choose worcester county to come back to either!!! even the outside towns arent great anymore. as far as the food i could stand to loose a few hahaha so maybe that is a good point! i am sick of being trapped in the house 7 mo out of the year and the kids watch tv my youngest hates snow we always joked fl is where she will end up

Old 11-28-2006, 04:47 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,656,129 times
You'll be fine and remember that life can be such an adventure. Fla has tremendous places for y'all to see. Friends of ours went canoing with their kids around here over the holiday. They camped and did 50 miles on the water!

The Keys are a terrific place to go for a weekend! Many of the natural areas in Fla are so wonderful to see. And you can do that all year round.

Have a nice trip and enjoy the adventure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida