Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 08:41 AM

5,701 posts, read 24,169,529 times

Advertisements

With the resent news about Fidel stepping down and his brother taking over, the possibility for US trade always comes to mind. Our state residents (mostly in the south) have a lasting relation with families in Cuba.

If change does take place, will our local economy benefit?

Our export and import industry should see a positive gain, but everyone will also try to capitalize this as soon as possible.

Tourism can also benefit, with the amount of airports that can be the gateway to the island.

How is this going to affect our state?

Note: Please avoid political or any derogatory comments. I'm just looking for feedback on how can our local economy benefit from this government transition, if they decide to open the doors and the US lift the sanctions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 08:59 AM

2,141 posts, read 6,909,450 times
I think it's a little too soon to know if anything will change. If we start trading with Cuba yes, it would be very good for Florida,

Old 02-19-2008, 09:03 AM

548 posts, read 541,860 times
No change at all. The administration just announced all embargos will remain in place.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:14 AM

9,373 posts, read 14,322,182 times
I agree. Right now any talk of change is still theoretical.

I see Cuba as more of a rival to southern Florida than a complement, especially in tourism, hence one reason for the decades-old trade and travel embargo.

I suppose well-connected Cuban-Americans would seek to make direct investments in Cuba, in tourism for example, including even medical tourism, maybe food processing, some light manufacturing, and similar.

So agriculture & food trade, tourism, some light manufacturing, maybe even some oil exploration might be areas of mutual interest.

Now, who would control such trade and industry is a political question, let's avoid it.

Anyway, again, it is still all theoretical, I do not expect significant change merely as a result of this announcement.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:58 AM

5,701 posts, read 24,169,529 times
theoretical view...

Company CEO's are researching how can they position their company to accommodate US initiatives so they can have first pick if the door are opened. For some of us involved in worldwide logistics, this is bait for hungry fish...

Last edited by sunrico90; 02-19-2008 at 10:53 AM..

Old 02-19-2008, 01:44 PM

314 posts, read 1,218,709 times
President Bush is looking for his legacy and here is a perfect opportunity to build one. If the U.S. and Cuba became trading partners....that would actually be a major positive thing, imo. I don't understand why we wouldn't take this oppty? Forget about "building democracies" and "nation building"...let's just take the first step and open formal trade...we trade with so many nations and non-democracies who may not necessarily be "our buddies"...why exclude Cuba?

Old 12-05-2008, 02:56 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,465,943 times
I just need to make sure I am the first to open a McDonalds franchise in downtown Havana!

this might not be theoretical much longer...

Old 12-05-2008, 03:19 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,571,923 times
i'm of Cuban descent and will say if the embargo were lifted it would be a boon for Florida except perhaps in tourism. The transition will be slow inless they allow more foreign investment especially by the US to actually raise living wages to a western hemisphere level. Crystal blue I shudder at the thought of seeing Cuba littered with McDonalds & big box retailers!

Last edited by MiamiRob; 12-05-2008 at 03:46 PM..

Old 12-05-2008, 09:11 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,856,519 times
Cuba's already got a fairly well-developed package tour market. The key drawing point- it's cheap to go there. Really really cheap compared to a lot of other winter Caribbean destinations. Food's lousy, shopping opportunities are limited, and the problems with the power grid are obvious, but for the budget-conscious Canadian traveller who just needs to get away from the snow for a couple of weeks and doze on a reasonably safe warm & sunny beach, they can fit the bill.

There will be a bunch of US tourists who go there out of curiousity alone, but in order to really draw from the US, I think Cuba's going to have to go whole hog and do what the Mexicans did to Cancun if they want to draw high volume visitors from the US. Which I'm not sure is such a good idea because it would be very easy to destroy what makes the island unique in the process, and doing it right would take a developer willing to take their time and slowly work their way through big projects.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:42 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,222,276 times
I think all the tourist (and Floridians) who will drive through Florida to take a nice cruise or flight to Cuba is good revenue for the state. An expanded tourist market for Cuba will also bring much needed local jobs to the Cuban residents. It can be nothing but a win - win situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida