Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2016, 10:21 AM

108 posts, read 104,859 times

Advertisements

Me, my fiance, and our three-year-old son will be relocating from NE Indiana to Florida next spring. We are looking at either Hudson or Melbourne. I know there are some trailer communities that accommodate families. We are looking for a trailer home for rent for no more than $750 a month, including lot rent. Is this feasible? We also want to know if any of the 55+ trailer communities accept families so long as one of the members is over 55 (I am 44 and my fiance is 62). Of course, the closer to the beach, the better -- but that's not a requirement; so long as the beach is 30 minutes or less away. Any information would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 11:07 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,453,550 times
Www.mhvillage.com

Has descriptions of parks, amenities, restrictions and available rental units.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:29 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,783,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forenzavue View Post
Me, my fiance, and our three-year-old son will be relocating from NE Indiana to Florida next spring. We are looking at either Hudson or Melbourne. I know there are some trailer communities that accommodate families. We are looking for a trailer home for rent for no more than $750 a month, including lot rent. Is this feasible? We also want to know if any of the 55+ trailer communities accept families so long as one of the members is over 55 (I am 44 and my fiance is 62). Of course, the closer to the beach, the better -- but that's not a requirement; so long as the beach is 30 minutes or less away. Any information would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Most 55 and over parks do not allow any children or anyone under 18. Normally it's 55 to own or primary resident and 45 and over for others. I believe some counties may have different rules and they allow anyone over 18 as long as one member is 55 plus. They can allow I believe up to 20% to be any age resident but most park owners and managers try to keep it 55+

Old 01-07-2016, 12:52 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,901,984 times
I think you are really putting your child at risk in this situation. Consider that your statement "the closer to the beach, the better" in a trailer means perhaps living below flood, and certainly living in a coastal zone at the least. Consider also that this coming summer comes with a very high risk of a direct hit from a hurricane to Florida, given that it is a La Nina year and so far, they are expecting well above average named storms, plus we have not been hit significantly for some time so each year that goes by without a major hurricane hits puts the state at statistically higher risk for one to hit in the coming year. Consider also that if you are moving on a tight budget, evacuations are costly and in some cases numerous in one year - so can you afford to pack up and get on the highway in time? One further thing to consider is that with sea level rise, flooding grows ever more likely in coastal towns of Florida even without a hurricane or tropical storm, but simply from a bad rainstorm. Many areas experience bad flooding routinely, plus of course the hordes of mosquitoes and all the things that come with flood waters, including salt water damage to the undercarriage of cars.

Choosing to live in a trailer - a structure that has little wind resistance, flood resistance, or mold resistance - in coastal Florida when you don't have to, and bringing a toddler into that, is not a great idea. Many people do so out of necessity, but you are making a choice to move, and may not really understand what is at stake in Florida with the weather. I personally would never put my kid in that situation if I could help it. If you're moving to coastal Florida, choose a more solid structure in which to live than a trailer that could be towed away by a car, much less 120mph winds or a 6ft storm surge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: