Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 12:37 PM

17,206 posts, read 15,412,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post

Outdoor cats control snakes, rats, mice, possums, armadillos, so be willing to share your yard with them. Spay or neuter.
BUT... They do make friends with raccoons... which are more or less harmless, but some people are bothered by them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 01:13 PM

2,419 posts, read 2,989,879 times
Welcome to Palm Coast!

Get a good exterminator and you won't have to worry about bugs in the house.
Buy a can of wasp spray. They love to build nests around the house, but especially by the front entrance.
I keep a fly swatter in the car for spiders that occasionally walk across the inside of my windshield.
Rubbing baby powder on your feet helps to get the sand off.
Walking barefoot on tile floors in the house is bad for your feet (I do it anyway, but shouldn't).
I think it's easier to adjust to the heat if you don't keep the a/c too cold.
Newer transplants sadly haven't caught on, but since you'll be in Palm Coast you should know that walkers and cyclists exchange nods and waves with drivers in residential areas. Be friendly.
Don't swim in the ocean at dusk (sharks).
Explore the parks and enjoy the festivals and outdoor activities, but if you're in a wooded area check for ticks afterward.
Your dog should be on heart-worm treatment year round. Also there is some dog disease that is in FL now so you might want to ask your vet about the shot. Wish I could remember the name of it.
The best parking space is not the closest, it's the one in the shade.

Old 10-02-2015, 01:22 PM

345 posts, read 977,194 times
Eat, drink, breathe, sleep, use the restroom, utilize shelter, have some sort of financial assurance for necessary material possessions.

That's pretty much all I can think of.

Old 10-02-2015, 01:26 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,528,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny536 View Post
I'll be moving to Palm Coast in a few weeks, and I'm looking for those local tips to make life smooth. When I moved to Arizona I was told to immediately get full glass coverage on my insurance, to check my shoes for scorpions and a few other things. I thanked those for the advice when I was having my windshield replaced for free and not getting stung on the toe.

So what are some things that I must know for dealing with life in Florida?
LEARN how to swim, Your family should learn too. Seriously.

Old 10-02-2015, 01:47 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,204,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
Hide your Yankee pride, sports teams, etc, if you would rather make new friends down here first. They'll know soon enough.

Aww, okay but I have so many Pats and Sox tee shirts!

Outdoor cats control snakes, rats, mice, possums, armadillos, so be willing to share your yard with them. Spay or neuter.

Don't want another kitty just yet.

Practice wearing flip flops around the house before you embarrass yourself on a mall escalator.

I already do wear flip flops, have since I was young.

Watch out for wheelchairs and mobility scooters at dark intersections, they don't have lights, they are slow and low and nearly invisible.

Good tip.

If you live only a half hour from the beach, remember it will take even longer than that to find a good parking place and get to the water. Always be prepared to walk.

LOL, no doubt. I don't plan on going to the beach too often. I was raised on one and I prefer pools!

Get your CCW permit right away, and practice because it's not so easy to carry concealed when you normally wear so little. If you don't get used to it, you won't always do it. They are counting on this.

Can I get a CCW without a Florida driver's license? Can I buy a gun without a Florida license?

As mentioned earlier, keep a spare shirt in the car. Ditto some drinking water.

Always have water with me.

If it's raining enough to turn on wipers, turn on headlights as well so others can see you while texting.

I do that anyway.

Stay out of the left lane.
How will I bang a uey then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
Welcome to Palm Coast!

Get a good exterminator and you won't have to worry about bugs in the house.

We get pest control once a month. Will do my own if that is not enough.

Buy a can of wasp spray. They love to build nests around the house, but especially by the front entrance.

Good idea. I shall spray at night.

I keep a fly swatter in the car for spiders that occasionally walk across the inside of my windshield.

Another good idea. I also always have a box of tissues on the seat beside me.

Rubbing baby powder on your feet helps to get the sand off.

Good tip.

Walking barefoot on tile floors in the house is bad for your feet (I do it anyway, but shouldn't).

I don't like going barefoot anyway. My gf warned me of how slippery those tiles are.

I think it's easier to adjust to the heat if you don't keep the a/c too cold.

I though of that. I don't want to live in an igloo.

Newer transplants sadly haven't caught on, but since you'll be in Palm Coast you should know that walkers and cyclists exchange nods and waves with drivers in residential areas. Be friendly.

Really? I shall wave back then!

Don't swim in the ocean at dusk (sharks).

Knew that. Dusk and dawn.

Explore the parks and enjoy the festivals and outdoor activities, but if you're in a wooded area check for ticks afterward.

I can't wait to get to Crane's Roost!

Your dog should be on heart-worm treatment year round. Also there is some dog disease that is in FL now so you might want to ask your vet about the shot. Wish I could remember the name of it.

Thanks, if I get another dog, will remember that.

The best parking space is not the closest, it's the one in the shade.
LOL, I already figured that one out three weeks ago! Asked my gf to repark over in the shade since I wasn't going into the store with her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteU View Post
Eat, drink, breathe, sleep, use the restroom, utilize shelter, have some sort of financial assurance for necessary material possessions.

That's pretty much all I can think of.
I like your style! That is what I hope my life will be like.

Old 10-02-2015, 01:59 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,191,162 times
One more thing I forgot, when you walk across grass, watch for ant hills. The red ants are biters.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting acclimated to FL. Here in NJ we have black bears (one walked through our backyard last winter- neighbor sent me a picture). Last month the lawn guy came across a large eastern garter snake in the process of devouring a frog. He got startled and spit the frog out (which was still alive and buried himself into the roots of the grass). The snake was mad, he kept striking out trying to bite anything that came near it. We were trying to get it off the lawn so they mow. It finally moved, but I got some really good pictures, one when his mouth was wide open trying to strike.

I've seen black snakes, golden snakes, and corn snakes in FL. They all seemed pretty docile. The black snakes just try to get away from you.

For the scare-dee-cats, I've only see one small spider in the house running across the tile floor and he was not one of the dangerous types. We have a quarterly service that sprays and there's almost nothing in the house. The stink bugs and lady bugs are worse up north than anything in FL.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:22 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,204,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
One more thing I forgot, when you walk across grass, watch for ant hills. The red ants are biters.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting acclimated to FL. Here in NJ we have black bears (one walked through our backyard last winter- neighbor sent me a picture). Last month the lawn guy came across a large eastern garter snake in the process of devouring a frog. He got startled and spit the frog out (which was still alive and buried himself into the roots of the grass). The snake was mad, he kept striking out trying to bite anything that came near it. We were trying to get it off the lawn so they mow. It finally moved, but I got some really good pictures, one when his mouth was wide open trying to strike.

I've seen black snakes, golden snakes, and corn snakes in FL. They all seemed pretty docile. The black snakes just try to get away from you.

For the scare-dee-cats, I've only see one small spider in the house running across the tile floor and he was not one of the dangerous types. We have a quarterly service that sprays and there's almost nothing in the house. The stink bugs and lady bugs are worse up north than anything in FL.
Sounds okay to me, mac. I will try and push that woman's words out of my head.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:06 PM

17,206 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Sounds okay to me, mac. I will try and push that woman's words out of my head.
To be fair, you'll be fine in Altamonte.
I live in a wooded area very close to a chain of large-enough lakes, so I get to see most of the critters Florida has to offer quite often.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:14 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,231,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny536 View Post
I'll be moving to Palm Coast in a few weeks, and I'm looking for those local tips to make life smooth. When I moved to Arizona I was told to immediately get full glass coverage on my insurance, to check my shoes for scorpions and a few other things. I thanked those for the advice when I was having my windshield replaced for free and not getting stung on the toe.

So what are some things that I must know for dealing with life in Florida?
Get to know a good lawyer. You'll need one from time to time. No doubt about it.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:43 PM

8,074 posts, read 4,748,872 times
There is no 'helmet law' in Florida. When you spot your first motorcyclist not wearing a helmet, don't freak out the way I did when I first arrived. Just say a quick prayer for them (if that's your thing) and get used to the sight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida