Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 11:31 AM

10 posts, read 52,803 times

Advertisements

Basically things are not going good for me at all, im 29 2 kids, me and my gf broke up and im about to be homeless due to high rents in ny...... i make 15.61 at a cable company called cablevision and this is my working experience. my mom lives in sanford florida and i was thinking of moving there with her to try and startover and start a new life and get myself on my feet. but everyone says jobs and life in florida sucks and this is intimidating to me. can anyone give me advice considering im young single and trieng to start over. am i making a good or bad decision?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2006, 11:46 AM

243 posts, read 1,096,873 times
Go for it. You only live once, might as well live where's it's nice. $15.61/hr isn't a high wage in most of Florida, in fact it's barely average for here so you have a good shot at making close to that here (plus no state income tax here). Rents here are far cheaper than in NYC. Florida doesn't make life suck, it's up to what to do with life.

Old 11-09-2006, 12:18 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,571,713 times
Default I think you had better talk to more people

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp19777 View Post
Basically things are not going good for me at all, im 29 2 kids, me and my gf broke up and im about to be homeless due to high rents in ny...... i make 15.61 at a cable company called cablevision and this is my working experience. my mom lives in sanford florida and i was thinking of moving there with her to try and startover and start a new life and get myself on my feet. but everyone says jobs and life in florida sucks and this is intimidating to me. can anyone give me advice considering im young single and trieng to start over. am i making a good or bad decision?

You can go from bad to worse if you don't do your homework. It's ok here if you are retired or have your own business. The payscale does suck here.
You can get fired for no reason and can't do a darn thing about it.
It's great for vacation, but I would leave it at that.

We have been here for 6 years and are heading back up north. We miss the family and the comfort of home!

Old 11-09-2006, 12:42 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,082,740 times
If you consider Texas, youll have enough money to buy your own condominium or a smaller older house. They come as cheap as $9k for a fixer upper in a questionable neighboorhood. Hundreds of houses for $50k and under in Texas, most are allright if you dont mind them being smallish, around 1000 square feet.

Old 11-09-2006, 01:14 PM

243 posts, read 1,096,873 times
Yeah and if he considers Zimbabwae he can get a house for 10 bucks, so what? The guy has family in Florida.

Old 11-09-2006, 01:33 PM

68 posts, read 226,177 times
cablevision is in Florida also. Check and see if you can transfer to Florida. There are alot of homes sitting and rent is much lower then N.Y. and in some areas dropping. Good luck.

Old 11-09-2006, 02:33 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,082,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDog View Post
Yeah and if he considers Zimbabwae he can get a house for 10 bucks, so what? The guy has family in Florida.

I also have family in Florida but am still forced to move out. Ive told my family they are welcome to move out and be near me for much cheaper. Ill visit my family till they move out too.

Old 11-09-2006, 05:42 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,109,893 times
Jay
I moved here to Jacksonville 14 years ago from NJ, it was my 21st move. I call it my "coming of age move"
I have a sister here and missed watching my niece and nephew grow up so I figured why not?
I still say it was the best move I have ever made, I was single when I moved here. I've made lots of friends and met my now husband.
I wouldn't be leaving if it wasn't for my husband being transfered.
I have noticed south florida is allot more expensive than NE florida
you could always move down with your mom while you get a feel for the different areas.
Good luck to you
Karla

Old 11-09-2006, 05:59 PM

10 posts, read 52,803 times
Thx myfask! i appreciate positive feedback.

Old 11-09-2006, 06:33 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,085,827 times
You can make it if you keep growing your skills and work extra hours or part time at a second. Get a trade or go to college. The trade positions, plumbers, electricians, hvac, etc will always be needed since the housing boom. It takes hard work. Being single helps!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida