Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 10:41 AM

582 posts, read 2,038,960 times

Advertisements

can we discuss some pros and cons for both areas as i am planning to move with my family in the coming months from the northeast.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:01 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,490,239 times
Dunno what area you're planning on moving to

NE- Break from heat with spring and autumn and winter
Fl- you don't have to live your life according to the weather channel because of the consistancy of Fl weather.

NE- Able to drive to different states, sometimes multiple states in one day
Fl. Disney, beaches, and cities within the state are always a days drive also.

NE- lots of history,museums, etc
FL. Unlike the NE things are NEW. So you're not sinking 40 grand in upgrades m into your 150 year old house that you just bought for $125,000 cause it looked charming.

Cons.

NE- SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW ICE ICE ICE ICE ICE ICE ICE ICE ICE ICE ICE , COLD COLD COLD COLD COLD COLD COLD COLD ALLLLLLLLL WINTER........
Fl- extended periods of warm weather.

NE- car inspections, double plates, emissions testing, new car tax,
Fl- get in car, drive

NE- TAXES!!!!!!! On you're new car, extremely high house taxes, taxes on the view your house has, taxes on your kids if you send them to a different school district, taxes on everything!
Fl.- While yes there are taxes, higher in some parts than other, they are NOWHERE NEAR the amount they are in the NE and how many you pay.

NE- Pot holes, uneven roads, drop off cliffs, mountains= gotta hit the gas peddle to go up = using more gas! 20 minute warm up of car in winter wasting gas, preping car for winter with oil changes, underside protectant from road salts, 2 sets of tires minimum for winter and summer, rust on car from salts, car constantly dirty in winter and no use washing. Not to mention the animals that run out on the roads up here that are WAY bigger than anything you go in Fla like moose, and deer

FL- SMOOTH even flat roads, saves on gas, no animals to die a horrible death from

NE- Agressive crappy drives, esp Con.drives SORRY!
Fl- Agressive crappy drivers.

NE- cold water in at the beaches even in summer, beach stands close down after August, freezing water in the lakes with duck poo and god knows what else.

Fl. year round beaches with cabanas, drinks, sunsets, and warm water

NE- Minimum 2 sets of everything in the winter, 2 coats, 2 pairs of boots, 2 pairs of socks, gloves, hats scarves etc. Clothing becomes expensive and dirty fast = more laundry= higher bills
You have kids, forget it, new winter coats, boots, ski outfits etc every year

Fl. 1 type of clothing year round with a couple sweaters and pants thrown in for the "cooler" days. Its cheaper to buy 2 pairs of flip flops than it is to buy 2 pairs of boots, and tank tops are cheapr than coats. Not to mention what you're saving on not having scarves, gloves, etc.

NE- BILLS are outrageous! My gas bill just got it yesterday $450, and I thought it was bad last month when it was $200... Dec was a cold month. Electric is outrageous also!

Fl- Cheaper to run A/C than heat with gas. Electric bill for a BIGGER place than I am now with 12 ceilings unlike here cost me under $100 a month to keep cool, year round. NO GAS BILLS IN FLA!!!!

NE- in winter some day are too cold to go out in, your car won't start, its slippery to walk, the snow banks are too high to safely try and creep out into the road without dying, and the days are grey (i've had 4 grey days in a row now).. Its more work to live in NE in the winter than any time of the year in Fla. constantly shoveling the snow, laying down salts, scraping the car etc
Fl. yes its hot we know, but there are water parks, beaches, ice skating, movies etc to go to..

NE- Friggin pets in the winter get wet and icy taking them outside, every time they come in have to dry them off, and watch them shiver
Fl- my dog ran outside even in the dead heat of summer and laid in the shade under the tree till he was content enough to come inside

NE- Wintertime = VERY short days.. its dark here by 4 o clock easy, which means lights go on earlier, heater works harder cause its colder out when its dark so bills go up
Fl- While it will get darker earlier NOTHING to the extent of NE so bills will stay lower, esp electric because of no drastic drop in weather overnight

I can go on all day, but I'll let some of you other guys put some in..

Last edited by Tarastomsgirl; 01-11-2008 at 12:26 PM..

Old 01-11-2008, 12:13 PM

301 posts, read 1,546,910 times
I'm from the N.E. and have lived in N.E. Fl for a while.Wife and I are raising two boys.There is better weather down here to do outdoor family stuff.We like the heat.We enjoy the beach.We ride motorcycles as a family enjoy that year round.The prepaid college program is a good thing.We have our boys set up.We feel they will get a better education.As parents we are active in what the boys are doing in school.We want homework.I could go on and on.Sure there are some negatives but nothing that can't be worked around or fixed.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:35 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,511,398 times
You are asking to compare two completely different lifestyles & worlds.

FL is ONE state. The NE is several each with their own character, good points, & bad points.

What part of FL? What part of the NE?

They are not the same & are more different than alike.

Do lots of research. Get your family involved. Explain to your kids the pros & cons.

Expect culture shock. Expect weather differences. Expect completely different school system, way of live, cost of lving, etc etc etc.

FL is not a perfect paradise; it will not solve any problems one is trying to escape from; it is a state that has its issues with jobs & housing like everywhere else.

And FL is like anywhere else in the world...it will offer you both good & bad.

Do what is right for your family; not what random people on a website tell you. Take these sites with a grain of salt.

Best of luck in your decision.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:38 PM

582 posts, read 2,038,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970pelle View Post
I'm from the N.E. and have lived in N.E. Fl for a while.Wife and I are raising two boys.There is better weather down here to do outdoor family stuff.We like the heat.We enjoy the beach.We ride motorcycles as a family enjoy that year round.The prepaid college program is a good thing.We have our boys set up.We feel they will get a better education.As parents we are active in what the boys are doing in school.We want homework.I could go on and on.Sure there are some negatives but nothing that can't be worked around or fixed.
that's what we want a lot of outdoor activity here in n.e we are couped up in the house like chipmunks waiting for spring.this morning i go to warm up the car and it was pitch dark out.okay so i leave home in the darkness and when i return from work i'm in darkness.trust me it is as bad as it sounds.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:46 PM

541 posts, read 1,995,115 times
I am from NY and DH is from the Boston area. I have also lived in MD while going to college. We have lived in the Orlando area for a little over 3 years now. We have friends here from all over (CT, NJ, NY, CA, MA, etc..)

Pros Florida:
Nice weather from October-May
Lots to do (beaches, Disney, Universal, Sea World, boating, scuba, snorkeling, etc..)
Many restaurants to choose from (and yes some very good ones)
Many events going on year round
Many cruise ports close by
Good airports-clean!
Beautiful skys
Beautiful beaches
Many birds
Wildlife
Great/many golf courses
Flat for biking
No state tax (remember NH has no state tax AND no sales tax)
Homestead exemptition
Good seafood
Cleaner than up north but getting worse every day
Hour more of sunlight

Pros Northeast:
Better pay (big pro for life quality!)
Better benefits packages
More unions to protect workers
Much more culture (Broadway, Boston Pops, lectures at great colleges, ethnic restaurants, etc..)
Change of seasons
Lots to do
Better sports teams/venues
Better concert venues/more choice
Good seafood
Great restaurants
Better hospitals/doctors (FL Health is pretty good)
Older, quality homes and buildings (what has happened to building!? It
is all crap now)
Sking/snowshoeing
Great hiking
Close to many staes/Canada (can drive easily)
Wonderful schools (Harvard, Boston U, Fordham U, NY U, Johns Hopkins, Bronx Science, St Johns, Queens College, RISD, etc..)
Better public transportation

Cons Florida:
Awful pay!
Right to work state
High insurance
High property taxes and sales tax
Expensive electric (bad in the summer)
Expensive groceries
Awful produce, meat and fruit (yes I was shocked too-they must ship it all to other places)
Hurricanes
Weather from June-October
Many bugs
Humidity all the time
Poorly, quickly built homes (many issues with mold, roofs, etc..)
Strip mall sqwall
Drivers are God awful and scary
Red Tide-we are ruining the beaches- one of the staes strong points
Awful schools
Crime getting bad
Many pedefiles in the theme park area
Drug/gang problems
Bad public transportation
Some have lazy outlooks/attitudes towards work, etc..
Still a lot of racial prejudice in the south

Cons Northeast:
Weather from January-April (too long, too gray and dead)
Ice storms
Expensive to live
Expensive homes
Expensive rent
Dirtier
More people crowded into smaller spaces (not true in the more rural areas)
High taxes
Oil and gas very expensive to heat in the winter (use a wood stove?)
Pot holes/bumpy/older roads
Faster pased (have to be a quicker, smarter person)
Shorter days

Old 01-11-2008, 01:12 PM

847 posts, read 3,520,291 times
Florida-terrible education systems
Northeast-Your kids will have a chance at a decent education

Old 01-11-2008, 01:41 PM

374 posts, read 1,629,262 times
I've lived in the Bronx, Upstate new york, (West Point area). South Jersey, Port Saint Lucie, FL and have a home in the Asheville area of NC. Florida is beautiful! The schools are good. Just have to research area's with "A" schools. The weather is great! But, don't come here without a job. Yes, you save on the state tax. But everything else, Home insurance, water and sewer, taxes and living expenses are about the same as up north or in some cases more. I am a real estate broker and it's been a tough sell since the third hurricaine hit the Port Saint Lucie Area (Wilma2005). Prices have come way down and interest rates are still good. NE or SE. Great time to buy in South Florida. (The Treasure Coast area) Homes from the mid $100,000's. Builders over built spec homes and now need to unload them! Sellers unable to sell for over a year are willing to deal! It looks like things are finally starting to move here again.. Good Luck to you!

Old 01-11-2008, 01:51 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,490,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyb0077 View Post
I've lived in the Bronx, Upstate new york, (West Point area). South Jersey, Port Saint Lucie, FL and have a home in the Asheville area of NC. Florida is beautiful! The schools are good. Just have to research area's with "A" schools. The weather is great! But, don't come here without a job. Yes, you save on the state tax. But everything else, Home insurance, water and sewer, taxes and living expenses are about the same as up north or in some cases more. I am a real estate broker and it's been a tough sell since the third hurricaine hit the Port Saint Lucie Area (Wilma2005). Prices have come way down and interest rates are still good. NE or SE. Great time to buy in South Florida. (The Treasure Coast area) Homes from the mid $100,000's. Builders over built spec homes and now need to unload them! Sellers unable to sell for over a year are willing to deal! It looks like things are finally starting to move here again.. Good Luck to you!
I lived in th Bronx for a short stint and was born there, and go back several times a year, anywhere in Florida is PARADISE compared to there

Old 01-11-2008, 02:16 PM

497 posts, read 1,566,933 times
Some schools in the northeast are just as bad as some schools in Florida. At least in Florida you can choose where to send you kids. You don't have that option in the North East unless you are fortunate to be able to afford private schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida