Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 12:09 PM

335 posts, read 1,209,236 times

Advertisements

and warm. I am looking for something that is not Disney and not too crowded. I have 5 young children and safety is important. Near a beach and not too big of a town, where I could rent a house for 2-4 weeks and relax...if that can be done with 5 boys!!!!!. Any thought would be appreciated and dont leave out the small towns. It is where we are from. I need a break from Northern Wisconsin. My bones hurt in the cold. Also I hear you have sunshine in Fl. I have not seen the sun in 5 weeks and am wondering if it is still there!!!

THanks folks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 12:18 PM

847 posts, read 3,521,480 times
Marco Island, you will love it and it is safe for kids to walk around. There are great rentals now.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:38 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,101,956 times
Crystal River. Now is the time of year the Manatees all gather around the power plant for the warmer waters. You can rent wet suits and take a tour and get in the water with them. Pretty neat to do.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:42 PM

9 posts, read 44,652 times
Pensacola Beach is a great getaway if you are looking for a smaller place to visit.

check out their site: Visit Pensacola Beach

Old 01-10-2008, 09:01 PM

895 posts, read 4,250,337 times
Northern Wisconsin: The Watercolor Resort (Florida panhandle) has been rated one of the top family friendly resorts in the country. Most people just ride bikes throughout the property. We spent one of the most relaxing weeks of our lives there--while I was six months pregnant with three girls under the age of 4. It's very friendly and safe. You can rent condos and houses (from one bedroom to 6 or more) there through their agency. We spent the week at the beach, at the pool, hanging in front of Starbucks playing on the grass, people and bird watching (it's amazing what interests little kids), going on nature hikes and walking around. Depending on when you go, they have a kids club too that hosts activities and such. There wasn't a lot of excitement but if you're looking to just chill--this could be it for you. And their website is authentic!! WaterColor - Vacation Accommodations and Rentals
P.S.-If you do go and stay in the homes that are farther from the beach - you will have to drive or bike to the beach club/pool area and it isn't too bad). You'd have to fly into Panama City or Ft. Walton Beach airport.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:15 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,220,933 times
Get a house on the beach on St. George Island near Tallahassee. Apalachicola, Florida, St. George Island, Florida, Apalachicola Bay Chamber of Commerce
Wake up to dolphins in the surf, rent bikes and ride around the island and into the park. Take day trips to see the USS Alabama U.S.S. Alabama , Tallahassee One moment please..., Wakulla Springs Main Page - Edward Ball Wakulla Springs State Park » Florida State Parks, Florida Caverns State Park Main Page - Florida Caverns State Park » Florida State Parks Shipwreck Island in Panama City Shipwreck Island Waterpark - Panama City Beach Florida

What is nice about St. George if you have smaller kids is that the waves aren't that big and the water deeps gradually. Friends and I rented the same house each summer for a number of years and it was very fun.

Old 01-11-2008, 04:55 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,372,321 times
Vero Beach

Old 01-11-2008, 05:30 AM

363 posts, read 1,361,234 times
Boca Grande is a family friendly beach town in SW Florida. You can rent a home on the beach or in one of the beach club communities -- pricey though. The kids ride around on golf carts, eat and shop in the local stores, play on the playground at the Gasparilla Inn or explore the lighthouses here on the island. Yes, they get bored too, but it is a safe place to relax and let the kids explore. The families vacationing here tend to be more affluent and with old money, but definitely a younger set moving in here and it is nice. The Gasparilla Inn has childrens activities daily.

The local paper is the bocabeacon dot com. If you need rental information, I would start at the Boca Grande Chamber of Commerce website.

Also check out the Palm Island Resort, it is also a nice resort for kids, no cars at the resort, golf carts only. They have kids activities scheduled daily.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:56 AM

335 posts, read 1,209,236 times
thank you all for the wonderful ideas. I have to go out and shovel now but I have been checking them out!!!! All sound nice when you are surrounded by white and gray for 5 months!!!!!

Old 01-11-2008, 08:30 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,920,830 times
Can you go to the beach in the panhandle in the winter? I was there in November one year and it was pretty cold!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida