Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 07:23 PM

183 posts, read 535,288 times

Advertisements

my gf and i are planning on moving out of Michigan in fall 08 and so far our plan is to move to sw Florida. we have been looking at the sarasota/bradenton/fort meyers/etc area. we are 21 and 23 years old and still attending college as of now. our main reason for moving is that Flint, MI is one of the worst places in the US being 1st for potholes, depression, obesity, ciggarette smoke, 2nd for unemployment, and 3rd for crime, so in other words none of the negative aspects of florida are going to effect us. we would like to live in biking/walking distance from a nice beach, only need a 1br/1ba apartment, and would like to live in a decent community that isn't geared toward older people. nightlife is not a worry to us as we never go out, downtown should be decent with shopping and restaurants, but doesn't have to be extravagant. our budget is around $600-$900/month. we are active and love the outdoors, even the heat, and it is hard to stay active when it is 5 degrees out. we are sick of the cold winters with little to no snow, barely any seasons any more, and not much going on. i love to fish, be on the water, etc. please give me all your input on places to look into and so on. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 07:32 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,499,689 times
I can only give you input to Ft. Myers as I lived in Naples.. You can find an apt in Ft. Myers for you price range, however within walking/biking distance to the beach eh gonna say no not gonna happen. Driving yes, walking no. To be within waking/biking distance you'd have to look at somewhere around say Ft. Myers Beach.. the thing about florida is its mecca of weathly have scooped up all beach access homes/condos/rentals... You might try a bit further south of say Estero.. I have seen houses in Naples Park for rent for $900 a month.those are walking/biking distance to the beach.. We'll now that I'm thinking of it perhaps you could find some place close to the beach , but it'd be hard pressed but MAYBE do able. I guess it all depends on the market when you get there. Good luck with everything and like I said if you have no luck expand your search to Bonita and Naples, you might be surprised and what you find.

p.s. I know what you mean about no negatives of Fla can outweight those of the winter and cold... its so true yet people STILL will try to convince you otherwise on here. Go with what you want to do

Old 01-09-2008, 07:33 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,974,085 times
Being from central Florida I would say Orlando or the Tampa st Pete areas.

St Pete has a nice downtown and the beach is right there. That should probably be a place to look at going from your post.

If I could pick up and move St pete would do it for me love it there.

I like Orlando But St pete is nicer.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:38 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,954,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaptrex View Post
our budget is around $600-$900/month. we are active and love the outdoors, even the heat, and it is hard to stay active when it is 5 degrees out. we are sick of the cold winters with little to no snow, barely any seasons any more, and not much going on. i love to fish, be on the water, etc. please give me all your input on places to look into and so on. thanks.
I have seen people do it on 900 a month close to the beach around Ft. Lauderdale. If you can do it there you can do it anywhere in Florida. Basically, it's a big state, if you prefer small town, you might like the panhandles beautiful white sand beaches, if you like medium sized city, a little funky, St. Petersburg is a nice place to be, if you want to be in a large metro area with a lot going on you have a few options on the SE coast, Ft. Lauderdale area and surrounds probably your best options for 900/month.

I think you all sound well suited to St. Petersburg personally.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:24 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,041,777 times
Wink Good Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaptrex View Post
my gf and i are planning on moving out of Michigan in fall 08 and so far our plan is to move to sw Florida. we have been looking at the sarasota/bradenton/fort meyers/etc area. we are 21 and 23 years old and still attending college as of now. our main reason for moving is that Flint, MI is one of the worst places in the US being 1st for potholes, depression, obesity, ciggarette smoke, 2nd for unemployment, and 3rd for crime, so in other words none of the negative aspects of florida are going to effect us. we would like to live in biking/walking distance from a nice beach, only need a 1br/1ba apartment, and would like to live in a decent community that isn't geared toward older people. nightlife is not a worry to us as we never go out, downtown should be decent with shopping and restaurants, but doesn't have to be extravagant. our budget is around $600-$900/month. we are active and love the outdoors, even the heat, and it is hard to stay active when it is 5 degrees out. we are sick of the cold winters with little to no snow, barely any seasons any more, and not much going on. i love to fish, be on the water, etc. please give me all your input on places to look into and so on. thanks.
I admire your optimism, youth, and willingness to explore opportunities. Will you have jobs before you complete your relocation? Is the $600 -$ 900 for rent only? If so, finding an apartment within biking distance of most Florida beaches will be a serious challenge. If you have only $900 monthly for living expenses, you would be better served staying where you are. The cost of the beach sunshine can be very expensive.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:28 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,954,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
I admire your optimism, youth, and willingness to explore opportunities. Will you have jobs before you complete your relocation? Is the $600 -$ 900 for rent only? If so, finding an apartment within biking distance of most Florida beaches will be a serious challenge. If you have only $900 monthly for living expenses, you would be better served staying where you are. The cost of the beach sunshine can be very expensive.
For a 1 bedroom, you would be surprised at what you can find for that price range. You can even rent on a decent block within a mile from the beach this far south for 900, and I imagine if thats doable here you can do that in any other part of the state. I know somebody who rents a decent 1 bedroom in Hollywood Lakes, a tree lined neighborhood of older to historic homes in intercoastal Hollywood (east of U.S.1), for around 750-800 a month. They can bike to the beach or to downtown Hollywood, so it's definitely doable, but I think this poster is looking for a slower lifestyle, that area tends to be nightlife oriented and kind of kitschy, although it's livening up in the daytime now as well. St. Petersburg sounds better for the OP, and less expensive.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:41 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,974,085 times
Quote:

Have you ever been to Flint? Not one of the best places to live. I can understand why they want to leave. My wife is from Flint So I know enough about the area to support the idea of getting out.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:57 PM

183 posts, read 535,288 times
Quote:
have you ever been to flint? there is no opportunity here, the weather is dreary, cold, or extremely humid. anything that has decent weather would be a jump from our current location.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:50 AM

973 posts, read 2,233,324 times
If you don't care about the extra expense of living near larger cities, you should check out the northwest Florida panhandle. Any of the small towns up there have the most beautiful white sand beaches in the state, and the cost of living is much lower. There are a few colleges up there - UWF in Pensacola and Okaloosa Walton College in Niceville. Check out Gulf Breeze, Navarre, Ft. Walton Beach, Destin, and Niceville - that area is still a small and inexpensive beach town compared to the Tampa/St. Pete/Miami metro areas. $900 will get you much closer to the beach there than just about anywhere else central and south Florida.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:55 AM

172 posts, read 947,169 times
I rent a 1br/1ba apartment for $625 in downtown Fort Myers.The shopping down here is limited (there's an antique store, a jewelry store, a clothing store, a home goods store, and a couple art galleries) but there's a nice array of restaurants. Can't bike/walk to the beaches, but I like it anyway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida