Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2014, 10:16 AM

49 posts, read 44,004 times

Advertisements

I am a US citizen and my parents are applying for the green card. Because my income is too low right now, my parents need to show that they own a minimum amount of assets.
They bought a condo in Miami Beach 2 years ago and they paid in full.
Immigration is asking for documents such as "mortgage/lien or lien release of any real estate".
My parents never had any mortage and paid right away in full.
I contacted their real estate agent and she told me that they have to pay for a title search.
The problem is that we have to pay that also for another apartment in Miami and also licensed appraisal (required by immigration also). So the total for all that is about $1400, in addition to all immigration fees ($5000) for my parents. This is costly.
Is there a way to avoid paying for a title search and have a document proving that my parents paid in full at the beginning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 01:00 PM

515 posts, read 1,348,101 times
The documents from the transaction are all filed at the Clerk of the Court's office, however there's nothing about a lien that is going to be filed because there was never a lien to satisfy. There just won't be a record of any mortgage. I would assume that either your or your parents are working with an immigration attorney, correct? What is his/her advice?

I would imagine that CIS will require some sort of third party certification that the deed is free of a lien, just like they will require an independent appraiser to certify the value of the property.

If you don't have an attorney, either you or your parents need to contact USCIS and ask them exactly what they require in a situation such as this. They will have the answer. The federal government is very particular about things like this, so guesses and assumptions from people on the Internet shouldn't be relied upon. You need to confirm with them EXACTLY what documents need to be provided.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:13 PM

I’m disappointed with my immigration attorney. With a good one, one should not have received a “request for evidence” from immigration.
When I talked to him first, I told him that when I checked online, they require a licensed appraisal, he told me “no, it will be ok without it” and he was wrong.
And for this matter, he said something like “you need satisfaction of mortgage or something like that”, so he was not very precise.
I will follow your advice and call USCIS tomorrow, and if they give me a response, that would be the safest response.

Old 05-04-2014, 04:27 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiparis View Post
I’m disappointed with my immigration attorney. With a good one, one should not have received a “request for evidence” from immigration.
When I talked to him first, I told him that when I checked online, they require a licensed appraisal, he told me “no, it will be ok without it” and he was wrong.
And for this matter, he said something like “you need satisfaction of mortgage or something like that”, so he was not very precise.
I will follow your advice and call USCIS tomorrow, and if they give me a response, that would be the safest response.

Show immigration your parents property tax bill......it has the appraised value right on it and bases the property tax amount off this value. Then outline they bought this property on (date), paid (amount) and didn't not have any financing at that time (paid cash). A closing statement from the real estate closing would document all of that information.

Now, just send me $100 and you saved $1300!

Old 05-04-2014, 10:30 PM

Unfortunately, the appraised value of the county is too small compared to the real one done by a licensed appraiser.
Yes, the bill shows the amount and the date, but it doesn't say that it has been paid in full.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida