Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 08:56 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,889,995 times

Advertisements

The painting contractors I've spoken with about employee issues all say the same thing. Finding reliable, qualified painters who show-up for work, do their job and are not drug users --- is very difficult. I recognize that is a broad stereotype, but, that's what I'm told by people who regularly employ painters and are willing to pay a premium for reliable workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 09:46 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,196,184 times
I agree. My neighbor applied for work with a commercial painting firm in Tampa. He was unable to keep the job because he was not as good a painter as he thought he was. This firm wanted professionals while my neighbor was more of a handy man than a painter. He did tell me that people he worked with did not show up for work as scheduled (they were on a job painting parts of the Tampa International Airport) and were fired. They do want and need professionals. Not fly by night type workers. If you know what you are doing and are a professional painter, show up for work and do a good job you stay employed. Otherwise you are not. Simple as that. The company required a person to be legally able to work in the U.S. They do not hire illegal immigrants.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Painting in new construction is not a career choice, it is spray and go and you will be lucky to make $15 an hour

Huge difference between a "spray and go" job and a professional commercial painter.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofabeach View Post
As long as Gov't continues to encourage illegals to cross the boarder you will have to accept lower wages, less benefits and compete with illegals. Housing, education, welfare,medical, food stamps etc. etc. all for free at the tax payers expense. They work under false assumed names and never pay taxes. Illegals can work for low wages and take all the benefits which most working class legal Americans can not benefit from. Handing out drivers licenses and raising wages, no ID required to vote only continues to escalate and encourage illegals and the problem. Gov't believes if they can get illegals on the tax roles and have them pay good money for to drive including car insurance etc. will result in benefits for the Gov't and give them temp. legal status will benefit the Gov't and create cash flow. The problem is they will take advantage of the benefits and continue to take all the freebies. Leaving you in the wake of the confusion. Aiding criminal activity does not solve your problem. It only deflates your chances of opportunity in America. However, buying votes at your expense is obviously a small price to pay.
Where you get this nonsense?

Illegal immigrants don’t qualify for welfare or food stamps

June 2013 ---
Gov. Rick Scott (R-FL) on Tuesday vetoed a bill that would have required Florida hand out driver’s licenses to illegal immigrants, a sign he is taking a stand against the left in favor of conservatism.

Who Can Register to Vote

In order to register to vote in Florida, you must:
  1. Be a Citizen of the United States of America (a lawful permanent resident is not a U.S. citizen);
  2. Be a Florida resident;
  3. Be 18 years old (you may pre-register to vote if you are 16 years old, but you cannot vote until you are 18 years old).
  4. Not now be adjudicated mentally incapacitated with respect to voting in Florida or any other state without having the right to vote restored;
  5. Not have been convicted of a felony without your civil rights having been restored; and
  6. Provide your current and valid Florida driver’s license number or Florida identification card number. If you do not have a Florida driver’s license number or a Florida identification card number then you must provide the last four digits of your Social Security Number. If you do not have any of these items, you must write “none” in the box or field.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:07 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,603,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
The painting contractors I've spoken with about employee issues all say the same thing. Finding reliable, qualified painters who show-up for work, do their job and are not drug users --- is very difficult. I recognize that is a broad stereotype, but, that's what I'm told by people who regularly employ painters and are willing to pay a premium for reliable workers.
You could say that about just any trade. Which is why a lot go with the illegal rout. Most of them are very dependable and get the job done. I work along side many and am proud to say most became good friends. We had very lively discussions at times but also good times. Lots of contractors only cared about getting the jobs done. If you couldn't pull your weight you were gone.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:58 PM

5 posts, read 4,649 times
Well my take on this is I can't believe how long it's taken me to find work in this world of ours. I haven't had a full-time job in 5yrs and still looking. I'm thinking now its a losing battle. I'm persistent but this is depressing. Its been rough for me.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:10 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,383,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swtdip View Post
Well my take on this is I can't believe how long it's taken me to find work in this world of ours. I haven't had a full-time job in 5yrs and still looking. I'm thinking now its a losing battle. I'm persistent but this is depressing. Its been rough for me.
Have you tried moving to other states?. The job market is pretty good in north Dakota and parts of tx and the Midwest

Old 01-07-2014, 08:14 PM

Yes but it takes $ that I don't have. Plus I need to save for futures retirement etc.. and now pay for health insurance with money I don't have.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:20 PM

Furthermore, I wouldn't b able to withstand the cold up north. Too brutal! I can't count the apps I have put online. And no kind of reply. Not even a call or question from the employers.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:23 AM

111 posts, read 148,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swtdip View Post
Furthermore, I wouldn't b able to withstand the cold up north. Too brutal! I can't count the apps I have put online. And no kind of reply. Not even a call or question from the employers.
if it wasnt for being underwater i would have left
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: