Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2013, 09:13 AM

13 posts, read 45,593 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My husband is getting out of the Army in 2014 and we want to move to Florida permanently. I am changing careers and want to attend UCF. My husband will be attending school as well.

I want to be able to get in-state tuition but moving there for school cannot be the *only* reason we moved there (if it is, that isn't sufficient for paying in-state tuition).

So I was wondering if the following would work:

My dad owns a condo near Fort Lauderdale. He lives there part of the year. He would allow me to use that as a Florida address before we get there so I could register my vehicle in Florida and get a Florida license too and change my voter registration and all that. If I do all that in January 2014, then by January 2015 I would be a resident for 12 months, just in time for Spring 2015 semester.

Am I missing anything here? I won't have full time employment there at all, but I will be an independent student. I will need to go to school full time when I get there because of the degree program I want to enter. I was thinking I could go to a community college fall semester, then UCF in the spring. I'd have to pay out of state at the CC, but it would still be much cheaper than out of state rates for UCF.

Thanks for any ideas/advice. I don't think we can use the military excuse for this one because my husband's home of record is Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 08:53 AM

21 posts, read 54,206 times
think you just have to have your license for a year....you should be good.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:04 PM

3,988 posts, read 8,264,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CooksWife View Post
Hi all,

My husband is getting out of the Army in 2014 and we want to move to Florida permanently. I am changing careers and want to attend UCF. My husband will be attending school as well.

I want to be able to get in-state tuition but moving there for school cannot be the *only* reason we moved there (if it is, that isn't sufficient for paying in-state tuition).

So I was wondering if the following would work:

My dad owns a condo near Fort Lauderdale. He lives there part of the year. He would allow me to use that as a Florida address before we get there so I could register my vehicle in Florida and get a Florida license too and change my voter registration and all that. If I do all that in January 2014, then by January 2015 I would be a resident for 12 months, just in time for Spring 2015 semester.

Am I missing anything here? I won't have full time employment there at all, but I will be an independent student. I will need to go to school full time when I get there because of the degree program I want to enter. I was thinking I could go to a community college fall semester, then UCF in the spring. I'd have to pay out of state at the CC, but it would still be much cheaper than out of state rates for UCF.

Thanks for any ideas/advice. I don't think we can use the military excuse for this one because my husband's home of record is Michigan.
I think there is something that says if you start as an out of stater you pay out of state tuition the whole time. You would have to live here and not go to school for a year and then apply to a school as a Florida resident. Check #4. You won't be living there so how will you prove residency?

State University System of Florida | Board of Governors : For Students

You will have to prove residency to get your driver's license, too Check this
Florida Drivers License Identification Requirements

Old 11-20-2013, 06:59 AM

10,320 posts, read 6,439,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
I think there is something that says if you start as an out of stater you pay out of state tuition the whole time. You would have to live here and not go to school for a year and then apply to a school as a Florida resident. Check #4. You won't be living there so how will you prove residency?

State University System of Florida | Board of Governors : For Students

You will have to prove residency to get your driver's license, too Check this
Florida Drivers License Identification Requirements
Plus, show all your "papers, please" when you renew your license. I brought my Passport, SS card, but had a difficult time finding 2 pieces of paperwork with my name and address on it. All the bills are in my husband's name and we pay online. I brought only one. The letter the DMV sent me telling me it was time to renew. lol Fortunately, he didn't ask me for anything else, this time.

They have really cracked on getting a license, and even renewing one. It is going to be very difficult getting a license if you aren't really living here and show proof you are.

Old 11-21-2013, 04:34 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,237,758 times
Florida DMV requires that the vehicle you are registering be physically present so that one of their employee's can verify the type of vehicle, vin #, damage, etc...this is do to the ever increasing amount of insurance fraud. You can pick up a form from them that allows you not to have the vehicle present, but it requires that the vehicle be inspected by a active police officer in another state and he/she then signs the form certifying to the accuracy of the vehicle. You then have to bring this form, with proof of insurance, etc...back to Florida DMV and they will issue you a registration.

Florida DMV will register you as a voter when you change your license but they require proof of residence. I would start now to mail myself letters, etc...to your father's address...with any sort of luck they will except that. Bring more versus less...

It will cost you $55 for your driver's license and $400 to $500 to register your vehicle...you may want to start looking on line for auto insurance now, for it will probably be more than what you are paying now.

Don't forget to surrender your current vehicle plates to your current DMV before cancelling your current insurance...we put it off and all of a sudden we were getting driver license & vehicle registration suspension notices from our former state...took several weeks to straighten it all out...

Old 11-23-2013, 03:23 PM

13 posts, read 45,593 times
Thanks for all the replies.

On the FL DMV web site it says bank statements are acceptable proof as long as we bring 2. Since we are military we bank with USAA and I can change the address online to reflect the FL address then print our statements off and bring them, since the addresses appear on the statements.

I can drive the car to FL for registration--that's no problem. If I'm able to register in Nassau County (which borders GA) it's only a six hour trip. I wasn't sure if they'd allow me to register a Broward County address in Nassau though. Anyone know if they would?

I'm a little confused why I would cancel my current insurance. I'd actually keep what I have and change it over to FL. I also don't know how I could drive all the way to FL without plates from my old state.

Does FL issue new plates on the spot if you're getting regular ones (not vanity--just random letter/number ones)?

Old 11-24-2013, 06:12 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,237,758 times
[quote=CooksWife;32352076]Thanks for all the replies.

On the FL DMV web site it says bank statements are acceptable proof as long as we bring 2. Since we are military we bank with USAA and I can change the address online to reflect the FL address then print our statements off and bring them, since the addresses appear on the statements.---Florida DMV wanted to see some form of mail that had been mailed to us at our new address...but people I have spoken to had never heard of this before...

I can drive the car to FL for registration--that's no problem. If I'm able to register in Nassau County (which borders GA) it's only a six hour trip. I wasn't sure if they'd allow me to register a Broward County address in Nassau though. Anyone know if they would?---It is a Florida State Department of Motor Vehicles...so one office should be as good as another...they might ask you why you are doing it there instead of Broward...

I'm a little confused why I would cancel my current insurance. I'd actually keep what I have and change it over to FL. I also don't know how I could drive all the way to FL without plates from my old state. ---the problem with insurance is that your current company may not insure vehicles in Florida...additionally, Florida DMV WILL NOT register your vehicle if your insurance card/policy has an out of state address...

Does FL issue new plates on the spot if you're getting regular ones (not vanity--just random letter/number ones)?[/quote---You will get your Florida plates on the spot after they inspect your vehicle...as far as payment...they take checks and cash...

Try these sites www.myflorida.com www.stateofflorida.com wealth of information for someone looking to move...

Old 11-24-2013, 07:56 AM

533 posts, read 1,117,684 times
I believe that if you and your husband decide to attend FSU, y'all wouldn't have to worry about residency. FSU charges military veteran's/active duty in-state prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida