Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 02:47 PM

9 posts, read 15,657 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Volusia County. I loved it while growing up. After graduating high school I attended college however I was so consumed in the party life I had to make a change. I joined the military in 2002 and travelled the states. I married while I was in and also became a father o three amazing children. I got out in 2010 and relocated to Maine because my wife got orders there. We have recently moved back to Ormond in August however its not what I expected to be. Maybe because I have grown up and matured. While I was in the service my wife and I were stationed in NC. We absolutely loved it because of the diversity the way of life the weather and the kids had so much more to do then just going to the beach (Florida). I have visited the western and north western parts of NC and fell in love with it. I fell love with the small town living, the greenery, the weather and most of all the mountains. I do love the communities and how so tight knit they are. Lakes are amazing,(no gators, sharks like Florida). I am working on convincing my wife to move up there however, I need some more info before making the ultimate sacrifice up moving up there with the family. Can someone educate me on cost of living, education for my children, job market and growth (I am a PTA an my wife is a nurse), housing market, crime rate, and any additional info.. Thank you so much Ryan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 04:42 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,932,659 times
We moved from North Carolina to Florida. We really enjoyed North Carolina, but Florida (Tampa Bay area) is a huge step up for us. NC was too cold for us, allergies were awful. People in both states will claim the job market stinks, so take all that with a grain of salt.

Beautiful mountains in NC. Beautiful Salt Life in Florida. Personal choice.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:07 PM

Don't get me wrong i do love Florida although the weather can be rough sometimes. I do like the 4 seasons not so much blankets of snow but I can deal with the cold. It's safe to say that both nc and fl have their pros and cons. I grew up in Florida and honestly I just don't know if I can deal with living here again.. Ha ha.. Crime rate has increased significantly, drop out of school rate has increased. There is no bond between neighbors there is no community.
Do you know anything abt the north west region of nc? cost of living, education for my children, job market and growth, housing market, crime rate

Old 10-29-2013, 05:32 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,932,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl Born_Maine at Heart View Post
Do you know anything abt the north west region of nc? cost of living, education for my children, job market and growth, housing market, crime rate
Ice cold and very snowy winters. Roads closed down often.

Poor schooling.

Use City Data site for specific crime info.

Job market not good.

Not sure on housing now.

Cost of living higher with state income tax.

Interesting people......not always in a good way.

Asheville area would be a better choice.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:25 PM

I love Asheville. My wife and I want to take a vacation over there. I heard its beautiful. That is one of the top places if not the top place I would love to live. My thing is I love the cold but not too cold where I can't do anything and I love the warmth but not to warm where I don't want to do anything or go outside. I love camping, hiking, fishing, lakes, rivers, mtn biking just the outdoors in general.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:58 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,257,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
We moved from North Carolina to Florida. We really enjoyed North Carolina, but Florida (Tampa Bay area) is a huge step up for us. NC was too cold for us, allergies were awful. People in both states will claim the job market stinks, so take all that with a grain of salt.

Beautiful mountains in NC. Beautiful Salt Life in Florida. Personal choice.
Beautiful mountains AND Beautiful Salt Life in Maine

Old 10-30-2013, 06:11 AM

Maine was and is still beautiful but just a little too cold for me and the ocean was blistering cold nothing to gloat about. I do enjoy the hiking, camping, fishing and biking. Lakes are ravishing. i would love to own a lake front home either in NC. Any recommendations? Also the summers and falls in Maine were extremely beautiful as well as NC. I had the opportunity to travel to drive through the Roanoke and some of the western parts of NC and loved it. So with that being said I'm trying to find something in between where winters are not dreadfully cold and summers are not too to warm.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:23 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,123,522 times
In terms of jobs since you're both in health care I don't think that'll be as much an issue. I'd recommend either the Asheville or Boone area, both of which have a good quality of life. In terms of schools both Buncombe County (Asheville) and Watauga County (Boone) are very highly rated and among the top districts in North Carolina. The Boone area tends to get quite cold and get a decent amount of snow in the winter though by no means Maine-like. Asheville gets less frozen precipitation and neither town has more than three months of "winter". In comparison to your other thread regarding North Georgia I would choose Western NC first as it's a bit further along in terms of schools, quality of life (in my opinion), infrastructure and things to do.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:36 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,752,923 times
We have family in NC in the Raleigh area well more in the Richmond and Bahamas sections (more rural) and loved Cary. Both Nieces are nurses and they work for Duke Universary so both of you could find work through a lot of their medical facilities.

The cost of living is rising up there from what my BIL tells us, but you do have the four seasons up there.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:26 AM

17,569 posts, read 39,232,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl Born_Maine at Heart View Post
I grew up in Volusia County. I loved it while growing up. After graduating high school I attended college however I was so consumed in the party life I had to make a change. I joined the military in 2002 and travelled the states. I married while I was in and also became a father o three amazing children. I got out in 2010 and relocated to Maine because my wife got orders there. We have recently moved back to Ormond in August however its not what I expected to be. Maybe because I have grown up and matured. While I was in the service my wife and I were stationed in NC. We absolutely loved it because of the diversity the way of life the weather and the kids had so much more to do then just going to the beach (Florida). I have visited the western and north western parts of NC and fell in love with it. I fell love with the small town living, the greenery, the weather and most of all the mountains. I do love the communities and how so tight knit they are. Lakes are amazing,(no gators, sharks like Florida). I am working on convincing my wife to move up there however, I need some more info before making the ultimate sacrifice up moving up there with the family. Can someone educate me on cost of living, education for my children, job market and growth (I am a PTA an my wife is a nurse), housing market, crime rate, and any additional info.. Thank you so much Ryan
You should really post in the NC forum, not Florida. I do NOT recommend Asheville, it is one of the most expensive areas of NC to live, and the job market is very poor with a LOT of competition (it is a tourist/resort area, so that gives you an idea). I would recommend one of the larger cities, maybe Charlotte or Raleigh for better job opportunities and cost of living. I would research this a LOT before you uproot. Sometimes the idea of something is better than the reality.

Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida