Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 12:59 PM

40 posts, read 199,594 times

Advertisements

I would pick Poinciana over St. cloud.
If you plan is to work in disney, Poinciana it's only 30min away.
Poiciana has alot of new construction, gated communities, on Pleasant HIll they have the Bellalago academy which is A rated, they are also building the Bellalago high school, which will open in aug 2007.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2007, 09:02 PM

2 posts, read 11,711 times
i lived in st. cloud florida for about 5-6 years. it's not the worst place in the world... but, far from the best! very small town fell everyone knows everyone. recently moved to NY huge mistake!! crime is on the ups but, mostly small stuff like punk kids stealing purses. just lock your car and door when you leave or are sleeping!! not an all around bad place!!

Old 06-13-2007, 06:37 AM

561 posts, read 1,922,715 times
If you are working at disney then I would HIGHlY consider Polk county...Auburndale to be more precise.

Lower crime than Saint Cloud. Easy access to I-4. Only 20-25 minutes to Disney. Now that they have completed the work on 1-4, it's much better to drive on it in that area.

I have lived in Saint Cloud for 2 years and and have seen dramtic changes in the city. I have spoken to many people who are lifelong residents in Saint Cloud who can't believe how it has changed for the worse. Mark my words, it's only a matter of time before all the "Crap" from Kissimmee, Poinciana, and Orlando take over the town. It's happening right now.

I grew up in the suburbs of NY and CT. Let me tell you, I did not have kids when I moved to Florida. Now that I do, I wish I would have stayed up north. Hurricanes, Sink Holes, Wildfires, Tornados, Sexual Predators, Crime, Poor Schools, Poor Healthcare, Traffic, Influx of non-english speaking people, Humidity,Alligators,Love Bugs,Homeowners Insurance Premiums, High Taxes with respect to the services you get for them, just to name a few. Not to mention last year Orlando was ranked the 25th most dangerous city to live in the U.S. Just recenlty (2007), Florida was ranked 43rd worst state for healthcare. I don't know off hand but I recall hearing that Florida was ranked low in education as well.

I thought I would never say this, but I miss the dramatic change in seasons up north as well. I miss the snow (especially durring the holidays). If you were raised up north and now live in Florida you know what I mean.

If and when I can find work back up north in Connecticut, I will absolutley go back! If you have an option to stay where you are, I would if I were you. It sounds like you live in a typical safe, small, town up north. In my opinion Florida is no place to raise children.

If you have no choice in the matter for the moment (like myself), than I recomend looking into Auburndale. I think you will be pleasantly suprised by what you will find. Polk County in general is in my opinion, a lesser of two evils (Orange and Osceola County). And by all means DO NOT put your children in any public schools around here. Stick to Charter and Private. Make sure you do your research to find a good one though. Bottom line in my opinion is that the best public school around here is not as good as the best charter or private school.

I hope this helps you out. Remember, this is coming from someone who was born and raised up north and lived there for well over 25 years. Then moved to central florida and has been here for 5 years. I have somthing to compare this place to.

Old 06-13-2007, 05:34 PM

442 posts, read 2,912,496 times
i have to agree with Mark, Auburndale is a very niuce place to live and raise a family People In general on here like to put Polk county down , and I really don't understand why other then The Haines City area being full of Migrant workers..I think If you really take a ride through Polk COunty you would be amazed at houw pretty it is with Rolling hisll just like Clermont area...and Much Nicer Lakes then In osceola and orange

Old 07-06-2007, 05:13 PM

7 posts, read 27,880 times
So from what you're saying there is less crime in St. Cloud then the general Central FL area. Are there gangs in St. Cloud like in Poinciana? Is there another group besides "crackers" and Puerto Ricans? What socio-economic class is the majority?

Old 07-09-2007, 06:26 AM

561 posts, read 1,922,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_staniforth View Post
So from what you're saying there is less crime in St. Cloud then the general Central FL area. Are there gangs in St. Cloud like in Poinciana? Is there another group besides "crackers" and Puerto Ricans? What socio-economic class is the majority?
See for yourself according to en.wikipedia.

St. Cloud, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

As of the censusGR2 of 2000, there were 20,074 people, 7,716 households, and 5,424 families residing in the city. The population density was 846.1/km² (2,190.8/mi²). There were 8,602 housing units at an average density of 362.6/km² (938.8/mi²). The racial makeup of the city was 90.27% White, 2.07% African American, 0.47% Native American, 0.95% Asian, 0.07% Pacific Islander, 4.10% from other races, and 2.06% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 13.36% of the population.

And here is Auburndale:

Auburndale, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As of the censusGR2 of 2000, there were 11,032 people, 4,119 households, and 3,002 families residing in the city. The population density was 816.0/km² (2,113.5/mi²). There were 4,547 housing units at an average density of 336.3/km² (871.1/mi²). The racial makeup of the city was 81.13% White, 12.26% African American, 0.26% Native American, 0.88% Asian, 0.05% Pacific Islander, 3.46% from other races, and 1.96% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 8.10% of the population.

Auburndale compared with St. Cloud

Polk County last month also named an All America City.

Polk One Of 10 in U.S. Given Top Honor | theledger.com

Mark

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2008 at 05:01 AM..

Old 07-09-2007, 09:33 PM

3 posts, read 17,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplacetocallhome View Post
CELEBRATION, FL IS VERY NICE OR HUNTERS CREEK IN KISSIMMEE
Yeah, Celebration is a nice neighborhood if you want to pay way more money than you really need too. They have the worst homeowners association there too. You cant even plant a flower without getting their approval!!

Old 11-26-2007, 10:09 AM

2 posts, read 15,099 times
I bet most of you who are talking so negative about St. Cloud (in the first postings) have barely lived here or are just plain racist. I enjoy living in St. Cloud. It is a old small town/city with few things to do when it comes to modern entertainment but has plenty of outdoor parks and activities. Not everyone moves down here because of Disney. There is crime like any other town but they are dumb and stupid crimes (for the must part). Now if you live in Orlando it might be different story. Although St. Cloud is a good 30 to 40 minutes from Orlando, it is not Orlando. Race, I feel, as nothing to do with crime, there are a lot more factor in a place that leads to crime (economic issues). My advise is to acquire our local town newspaper. It list all crimes and arrests. Also, see the town for yourself. Anyways, I hope no one else moves here especially racist and critical people. Only open minded and friendly people who bring positive thoughts and ideas are welcome. I feel the first postings misrepresented St. Cloud, Fl. Overall, St. Cloud is a normal small town in Florida.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:43 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,962,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdy328 View Post
I hope this doesnt make anyone mad! My family is thinking of moving to the St. Cloud FL area. I want to move with my company. I have two young teen children. Every one I talk with makes the area sound so bad. I have talked to about 15 people that all say the same thing. They say its hot, traffic is bad and crime is high. They say the Spanish population is out of control and you cant go anywhere without speaking Spanish. The information I read says that it is nothing like that. I dont want to move my kids to some war zone where I have to take a gun to the Walmart to shop.

In the town I live in we leave our kids alone at home (13 and 10). I told a person that I would have to do that in St. Cloud. They said I would be crazy to do that there.

I would like to hear some information from people that live in the area with kids.

St cloud is no war zone it`s a small southern town with a nice old down town. Yes there are hispanics but in florida there are alot of Hispanics if thats a problem then don`t move down here.

You don`t need a gun it`s not like it`s newark or baltimore lol.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:50 PM

299 posts, read 1,333,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplacetocallhome View Post
CELEBRATION, FL IS VERY NICE OR HUNTERS CREEK IN KISSIMMEE
OP won't find info on Hunters Creek if they look in Kissimmee because it is part of Orlando with an Orlando zip. It is in Orange County not Osceola. I agree it's a nice community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida