Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 10:46 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,377,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
I am a long time florida resident (have lived here fifteen years), and while there are what people would consider "pros" of living in the area, it is definitely not desirable overall, especially for someone trying to develop a career. The main pitfalls of Florida in my eyes are as follows:
One of the most frustrating elements that I have observed growing up in charlotte county (2 hrs south of Tampa, near englewood/venice) is the absolute lack of innovation and desire to progress in certain areas. I understand that Florida has a lot of appeal for retirees but that should not equate to a complete and utter cultural wasteland. I am going to school in the northwest, and one of the first things I noticed was the extensive care for the environment, focus on local over corporate, flexibility on social issues, and a general stimulating and creative atmosphere. Here I notice borderline oblivion when it comes to awareness of current affairs, current advancements in science and technology, etc. In my senior class in HS, kids had a hard time pointing out basic continents on a map. Give me a break.
The lack of cultural awareness in my area brings about other issues like a poor educational system, incompetence in local government, and so on. I am speaking primarily about southwest Florida, since I was raised there, but the basic concept that I'm illustrating certainly affects other areas to a varying extent.
One would normally think that there would be a flourishing job market in one city in any given state. While this is a nice fantasy, those that think this way have never been to Florida. Truthfully, the blatant lack of industry in the "major" cities in Florida is pretty appalling. Most of the revenue is generated by tourism and i barely ever hear of any success stories from young entrepreneurs in the area. Those with drive and a vision go up to the northeast to become immersed in a much more vibrant job market. To put it simply, there is no reason to come to Florida if you are interested in advancing your career.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/flori...ida-march.html

I always told people that one of the reasons I'm moving to seattle is because "the lack of sun keeps the riff raff out." I have noticed a fairly consistent pattern that areas with year round warm climates seem to attract people with minimal inhibitions who just move there for hedonistic reasons. I suppose it's much more pleasant to work a menial job (or not work for that matter), and have the beach at your fingertips for leisure. This causes people to alter their values for self fulfillment and recreation rather than contributing to society.

The level of ostentation and decadence disturbs me because it leads me to believe that people around here have poor ethics. I don't mean to come off as a moralist here but seeing people parade around in yachts around miami/palm beach and virtually any wealthy area in South Florida makes me think of all the more productive things they could be doing. Expensive chains line the streets of well off communities and are supported thoroughly by the populace. There is nothing wrong with living comfortably but the superficiality I have witnessed here is to excess. In my age group specifically, girls strive to attain the most picturesque bikini bod while the males attempt to out alpha one another. Not a healthy dynamic, IMO.

Overall, there are a lack of vibrant, eclectic neighborhoods for people to enjoy. There are way too many strip malls, fast food chains, and divey tourist shops which does not make for very diverse neighborhoods and feels rather stale. A simple trip to Orlando or Jacksonville would leave any sane person appalled by the amounts of McDonalds per capita, as well as the tract homes that seem to engulf the streets. I can't shake the eerie feeling of 90% of major developments in Florida being master planned by marketing executives with the intention of incorporating a tasteless, sterile "u(dys)topia."

In no way do I mean to attack people who choose to live here. I know there are decent folks sprinkled around here and there, I have just not had a particularly pleasant experience living here as an adolescent. I went to several different high schools which yielded unsatisfactory results. This may partly be due to inner conflict on my part but I still hold the theory that this is not a healthy environment for kids to grow up in. There just isn't enough going on.

I believe that people are lured here primarily because of nice aesthetics, a slower pace of life and a desire to live with minimal stressors. I suppose I am just not wired this way which is why I am moving to the city for college. To each there own, but if considering a move here, take note of the undesirable aspects I mentioned.
I must say I really enjoyed reading your point of view for a number of Reasons...Let me start off by saying you write beautifully..From someone your age It's interesting on your view, We have been on the fence to move back to South Florida as our daughter isn't interested in moving back, Our son is 18 and is a freshman in College here in NC but is deciding if he wants to go back to South Florida, I have to say our concerns and his concern is pretty much what you have written here as he would like to find a place to plant roots and finish out school...He is doing community college for 2 years and is thinking about FAU and a school here in NC..Our concern is the kids career's and wanting to plant roots there...

Good luck to you in College and where ever it is you land

I do have to say a lot of people say how much better for salaries etc however the Cost of living isn't so cheap and if one works in NYC and Lives in NJ lets say the Property Taxes are Insane....Being from NYC and haved lived in NJ the cost of living is very high and in today's economy I can tell you Salaries aren't so great either as the job market is extremely difficult...For some reason we really love Florida but at the same time knowing what we know we aren't sure...

Last edited by Swimmom32; 07-29-2013 at 10:54 PM..

Old 07-30-2013, 01:30 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
eave the nest, spread your wings and fly young eagle.

You will never know unless you take a shot at it.

Quote:
I am a long time florida resident (have lived here fifteen years), and while there are what people would consider "pros" of living in the area, it is definitely not desirable overall, ...........................................snip... ..............................
In no way do I mean to attack people who choose to live here. I know there are decent folks sprinkled around here and there, I have just not had a particularly pleasant experience living here as an adolescent. I went to several different high schools which yielded unsatisfactory results. This may partly be due to inner conflict on my part but I still hold the theory that this is not a healthy environment for kids to grow up in. There just isn't enough going on.

I believe that people are lured here primarily because of nice aesthetics, a slower pace of life and a desire to live with minimal stressors. I suppose I am just not wired this way which is why I am moving to the city for college. To each there own, but if considering a move here, take note of the undesirable aspects I mentioned.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:15 AM

9,362 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post

there is very little to do as far as socializing for 20 somethings outside of night clubs ...

Also, the overall lack of vibrancy and creativity is completely OK in Florida. Ignorance is generally celebrated and "keepin it real" is pretty much everything.
Yes, you twenty-somethings, leave, make your career and build wealth elsewhere for two or three or four decades, DECADES, then come back when you have better social connections, a career at your shoulders and wealth to stand on, when you are jaded and cynical, well rooted in the reality of men on Earth, then come back to the Florida that we old folks all know and love, sort of, when you realize in your very muscles and bones, and not in your adolescent fantasies, without whining and complaining, why they - the men of the north who conquered the entire continent, the ENTIRE federated continent by force of arms - have been doing it since the twilight of the Gilded Age of the Industrial Era, the 1910s, withering and waiting to die in its only corner of humid warmth like so many flies, slowly, slowly, slowly, and not ashamed to say so.

Last edited by bale002; 07-30-2013 at 02:24 AM..

Old 07-30-2013, 02:51 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
This again? Haven't you run this theme a few times before?

I guess it is better than your lounge lizard schtick

Quote:
I enjoy smoking fine cigars in lounge bars and pursuing worldly, sophisticated older women. How does DC stack up compared to this criteria?

Old 07-30-2013, 06:25 AM

895 posts, read 1,703,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
I must say I really enjoyed reading your point of view for a number of Reasons...Let me start off by saying you write beautifully..From someone your age It's interesting on your view, We have been on the fence to move back to South Florida as our daughter isn't interested in moving back, Our son is 18 and is a freshman in College here in NC but is deciding if he wants to go back to South Florida, I have to say our concerns and his concern is pretty much what you have written here as he would like to find a place to plant roots and finish out school...He is doing community college for 2 years and is thinking about FAU and a school here in NC..Our concern is the kids career's and wanting to plant roots there...

Good luck to you in College and where ever it is you land

I do have to say a lot of people say how much better for salaries etc however the Cost of living isn't so cheap and if one works in NYC and Lives in NJ lets say the Property Taxes are Insane....Being from NYC and haved lived in NJ the cost of living is very high and in today's economy I can tell you Salaries aren't so great either as the job market is extremely difficult...For some reason we really love Florida but at the same time knowing what we know we aren't sure...

Thanks for your support. I might suggest that if your son has the grades at the end of his stint in community college, he should look into transferring to FSU in Talahassee. It is a pretty well renowned school and Talahassee has a more sophisticated, mini metro feel compared to other areas being the state capital and all. I don't personally prefer the culture in south Florida but Eckerd College in St Pete as well as the University of Miami are also decent schools. Although U of Miami is very prestigious and St Pete might be overall more livable for your son. Just don't jump the gun on any major decision and weigh out all options beforehand.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:51 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,352,626 times
This ties in to a thread I was reading about someone looking for a progressive town in Florida; I wonder if the state will evolve from 'redneck self-destruction' to progressive/good jobs/more culture over time.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:12 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
I'm happy where I live - nothing about it "sucks." And I am not wealthy, far from it. I have a beautiful environment, great food, shopping, weather, nature, beaches, great downtown, waterfront everything - I could go on and on. Anything I could ever want exists for me here. I give thanks every day that I live here.

To the OP, you are young and where you live is not the best, IMO, even coming from an "old lady" like me. I understand why you feel the way you do. Go ahead and move somewhere else for awhile like others have suggested. You might even enjoy a different part of Florida. Sometimes that makes all the difference.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:16 AM

641 posts, read 1,020,552 times
I like how everyone "boasts" when 200 low paying warehouse jobs comes to town LMFAO like paying people $8 an hour will boost the local economy...

Old 07-30-2013, 09:46 AM

745 posts, read 1,582,908 times
as soon as I saw the word "hedonistic" I knew exactly who the OP was, lol.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:56 AM

895 posts, read 1,703,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
No, don't tell me not to nitpick.

You want a solid argument? Post current unemployment rates or it makes your argument look weak.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/about...ople-here.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida