Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 09:34 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,507,636 times

Advertisements

I guess its all in perspective - traffic is nothing compared to where I came from (Virginia), housing and property taxes are much less then where I used to live (NJ) and hate to tell you but chains stores and strip malls are mostly everywhere these days. Florida is very unique - giant birds, bobcats in my front yard, breathtaking beaches all year round - Florida is great! - IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 11:35 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,015,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
I just dont get how people move from places with individuality to a place like Florida with endless strip malls and chain restaraunts and "love it"
There are places in Florida where its not terrible, South Tampa, NE St Pete, Winter Park, Parts of Sarasota. I am sure there are others.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:51 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,628,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
There are places in Florida where its not terrible, South Tampa, NE St Pete, Winter Park, Parts of Sarasota. I am sure there are others.
This is true and I like all the areas you mentioned, but a lot(most) of the state is undesirable.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:17 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,151,675 times
Maybe you havent been out of FL, but you will find chain stores and strip malls EVERYWHERE

Quote:
I just dont get how people move from places with individuality to a place like Florida with endless strip malls and chain restaraunts and "love it"

Old 07-25-2013, 06:34 PM

31 posts, read 58,676 times
I wonder if the negative posters are those who haven't experienced life in other parts of the country. We've lived in so many areas in different states, different climates, but Sanford is by far our favorite. Ok, had we been able to live in the city in NY that would have been our favorite, but we couldn't afford it. Our home here is spectacular, and our taxes are less than a third of those in NJ, our yard is beautiful, year round, fantastic neighbors, minutes instead of hours to the beach. Outdoor eateries everywhere. And again, the traffic is so much lighter than where we've lived before. Again, we've never hated living anywhere, so that's something I don't understand maybe, it's actually hard for me to imagine hating living somewhere, if I can get outside for an hour per day I can be happy anywhere. But again, Sanford has my heart now, and we are hoping to stay here for the rest of our lives, nutmeg that's not realistic for our family. I only hope we get to stay somewhere with humidity , it's much better the dry heat, but then again, more heat is better than cold.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:28 PM

663 posts, read 1,145,728 times
Quote:
I grew up in Philly, which has all the culture, history and architecture you could ever want., but what kind of lifestyle would I have had living there. Cold 8 months of the year. Long periods of drizzle and clouds, for weeks sometimes. Maybe I could afford a row home In An OK area.

I live in Florida, on the water, with adock and boat lift, 4 blocks from the beach, all for the same price that a rowhome would have cost me. i have beautiful weather year around. Almost never rains for more than an hour, then the sun is right back out. I go to beach everyday. I can exercise everyday outside. Ride my bike, fish, canoe, walk to a few bars and restaurants, have a nice yard with tropical plants, fruits and coconut trees.
If I want a little culture, I take a long 15 minute ride to downtown St Pete.

Though I miss some things about my northern home, but I would have never had the life I have now.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:52 PM

69 posts, read 139,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieheretoflorida View Post
I wonder if the negative posters are those who haven't experienced life in other parts of the country.
Quite possible that's some of it. Its not uncommon I suppose for someone who has lived somewhere a long long time to be bored of that area. Its likewise easy for someone who hasn't yet lived somewhere to see it through rose colored glasses.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:49 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,418,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieheretoflorida View Post
I wonder if the negative posters are those who haven't experienced life in other parts of the country. We've lived in so many areas in different states, different climates, but Sanford is by far our favorite. Ok, had we been able to live in the city in NY that would have been our favorite, but we couldn't afford it. Our home here is spectacular, and our taxes are less than a third of those in NJ, our yard is beautiful, year round, fantastic neighbors, minutes instead of hours to the beach. Outdoor eateries everywhere. And again, the traffic is so much lighter than where we've lived before. Again, we've never hated living anywhere, so that's something I don't understand maybe, it's actually hard for me to imagine hating living somewhere, if I can get outside for an hour per day I can be happy anywhere. But again, Sanford has my heart now, and we are hoping to stay here for the rest of our lives, nutmeg that's not realistic for our family. I only hope we get to stay somewhere with humidity , it's much better the dry heat, but then again, more heat is better than cold.

This is an important distinction.

You'll find that people who have such visceral emotions towards a PLACE: I HATE IT HERE, This place is AWFUL, etc.... will tend to be negative people in general. They likely came here from somewhere else they HATED, HATE it here, and will likely someday go off to somewhere they will grow to HATE as well for some other reason.

For example, I lived in Tallahassee for a few years. I liked it, I can appreciate it and what it offers, but left when I realized it wasn't what I needed or wanted for the stage of life I was in. I don't say I HATED living there, I would probably be fine if I HAD to move back there for some reason.... but these days, how many can truly say they HAD to move to Florida out of necessity, and not free will?

Old 07-26-2013, 10:43 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,391,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
This is an important distinction.

You'll find that people who have such visceral emotions towards a PLACE: I HATE IT HERE, This place is AWFUL, etc.... will tend to be negative people in general. They likely came here from somewhere else they HATED, HATE it here, and will likely someday go off to somewhere they will grow to HATE as well for some other reason.

For example, I lived in Tallahassee for a few years. I liked it, I can appreciate it and what it offers, but left when I realized it wasn't what I needed or wanted for the stage of life I was in. I don't say I HATED living there, I would probably be fine if I HAD to move back there for some reason.... but these days, how many can truly say they HAD to move to Florida out of necessity, and not free will?
For example, I lived in Tallahassee for a few years. I liked it, I can appreciate it and what it offers, but left when I realized it wasn't what I needed or wanted for the stage of life I was in. I don't say I HATED living there, I would probably be fine if I HAD to move back there for some reason.... but these days, how many can truly say they HAD to move to Florida out of necessity, and not free will?[/quote]

This is very true...I know where we live I speak to a lot of people that HAD to move here for a Job and aren't happy and do not want to be here...We were fortunate and moved to Florida on our own free will and moving back will be the same thing..lol

That isn't always true Where we live we hate it, hated it the 1st time too however we loved South Florida and can't wait until we can return...My husband and I are very positive people as I don't allow negative people in my life they are as bad as Posion...Now when life throws one a curve ball and due to circumstances where they might have to change the situation or move, or they do not live where they would like to, doesn't mean that they are necessarily negative..However I do agree with you about there are people that complain about everything and everyone they are just Negative People and your right won't be happy no matter what...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida