Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 07:53 AM

2 posts, read 8,004 times

Advertisements

I know, another "I want to move to Florida thread", but seriously, after living in west Michigan for the past 20+ years with 9 months of cold, unending cloudy days, lots of snow, rain, icy roads and sidewalks to slip on, my boyfriend and I have been talking about moving to someplace in Florida for the past 5 years. We're barely surviving here, so our attitude is we'd rather be barely surviving in someplace where we would at least have sun and warm weather to go out for walks and be able to open the windows. That's where the question comes in- has anyone just packed up their belongings and left with no real place to go; no job waiting for them. Situation now: I am on disability from two different low back disorders. I worked my whole life up until 2 years ago when my back disorders got so severe I ended up on disability. My boyfriend has done a little bit of everything, but was mainly in the construction, landscaping and printing business for 15 years making a decent living, but was laid off from that about 5 years ago; printing/bindery work practically obsolete. He has been working in retail for the past 3 years making $7.40 an hour and is extremely hard-working and his manager said he did the work of 3 or 4 people. We live in an apartment for $700/month. I get a little over $600/month on disability,$100 is taken out for medicare. So we know what it's like to struggle and be poor. We just need a new start somewhere where we have sun and warmth; the constant cold, clouds & snow make me hurt even more. I live in constant pain and don't ever want to go out in this weather. I know it sounds so unrealistic, but certainly we're not the first people to have ever done this. Would love to hear from people that actually have just packed up and left with less than ideal circumstances, like being very low income and not having a job waiting for them when they get there. We also have no relatives that live in Florida (or the south) to stay with until something possibly works out. We're not asking for a lot, just need a fresh start in a place with sun and warm weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 08:10 AM

745 posts, read 1,583,818 times
I moved to Florida from Oregon alone and no job waiting for me. Originally I was going to go to St. Pete, but my parents, who have a condo in Daytona Beach and were moving permanently up north, offered it to me for the time being. So I'm very grateful I had a place to go to take some of the stress off of moving across the country all alone. But I didn't have a job, tho I had some money saved. I came in with an extremely positive attitude, because Portland just sucked the life out of me after 10 years. 8 months of grey skies and rain, allergies, felt utterly stuck in life, etc. I needed out and took the hugest risk of my life. And you know what? I haven't been this happy in years.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:14 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,625,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerchild002 View Post
I know, another "I want to move to Florida thread", but seriously, after living in west Michigan for the past 20+ years with 9 months of cold, unending cloudy days, lots of snow, rain, icy roads and sidewalks to slip on, my boyfriend and I have been talking about moving to someplace in Florida for the past 5 years. We're barely surviving here, so our attitude is we'd rather be barely surviving in someplace where we would at least have sun and warm weather to go out for walks and be able to open the windows. That's where the question comes in- has anyone just packed up their belongings and left with no real place to go; no job waiting for them. Situation now: I am on disability from two different low back disorders. I worked my whole life up until 2 years ago when my back disorders got so severe I ended up on disability. My boyfriend has done a little bit of everything, but was mainly in the construction, landscaping and printing business for 15 years making a decent living, but was laid off from that about 5 years ago; printing/bindery work practically obsolete. He has been working in retail for the past 3 years making $7.40 an hour and is extremely hard-working and his manager said he did the work of 3 or 4 people. We live in an apartment for $700/month. I get a little over $600/month on disability,$100 is taken out for medicare. So we know what it's like to struggle and be poor. We just need a new start somewhere where we have sun and warmth; the constant cold, clouds & snow make me hurt even more. I live in constant pain and don't ever want to go out in this weather. I know it sounds so unrealistic, but certainly we're not the first people to have ever done this. Would love to hear from people that actually have just packed up and left with less than ideal circumstances, like being very low income and not having a job waiting for them when they get there. We also have no relatives that live in Florida (or the south) to stay with until something possibly works out. We're not asking for a lot, just need a fresh start in a place with sun and warm weather.

You're definitely not the first people to have done this. Maybe someone can post the "warm and sunny" video.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:59 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,896,755 times
If it counts for anything, I packed up and left Tampa, FL for Nashville, TN without a job because I couldn't survive in Tampa on my own after high school.

I then packed up and left Nashville, TN for Houston, TX without a job because the economy had completely bottomed out in Tennessee.

It worked out for the best in both moves.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:36 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,964,783 times
I can tell you you Won't be opening the windows down here for 9 months a year. Have you ever even experienced a Florida summer? Triple digits with 90+ % humidity? A/c on Christmas Day. Sometimes year round... Warm isn't the correct term for Fla weather. Hot to scorching might be better.

As far as moving without jobs, not wise. Florida is a seasonal state and seasonal jobs pay base pay...$ 8-12 and hour ( the higher being if you're lucky) and during the summer you'll probably be laid off and on unemployment .

Where in Fla? I live in SWFL and I can tell you for rent expect to be paying close to $950-$1,000 for a 2 bed apartment. Utilities not included. Houses to rent anywhere near the beach will be upwards of $2,000 for something not in a bad neighborhood but will be smaller. Otherwise you're out near the Everglades for something $900 or less a month, 20+ min drive to the beach. Most places expect first last and security here so you're probably gonna be paying 3 grand just to get you in a place.

Look for jobs first , everyone and their mother are jobless or on assistance or working 2-3 jobs to support themselves. Believe me you won't be sitting on the beach with a piña colada everyday. Seasonal jobs are 14-16 hour days , every holiday , every weekend.. I worked in it when I was younger and it was no fun at all.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:34 AM

2,962 posts, read 5,000,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerchild002 View Post
If it's just the 2 of you I can't see how it would be a big problem. Look into Sebring. It might be a good place to get started. The cost of living is low, you can get a cheap rental, and your boyfriend should be able to get a job of some kind.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:32 PM

47 posts, read 169,606 times
I am also moving from Oregon to FL and yes, partly because of the weather, however I do have a job. BUT I know absolutely NO ONE there and when I was initially planning on moving, I felt very afraid to do so, and started getting anxiety from the thought of moving away and being alone. But shortly found out that it would be in my best interest to do so.
BUT, I have had to do TONS of research on location, prices, and LOCATION! For me, that was THE most important thing to look into. I am single, and no kiddos, so I wanted a place to feel safe at especially because I won't know anyone there. I think you guys should be fine finding something within your budget, and finding a job for your BF in retail, to get started I think should not be too hard. However with that said, you will NOT find a place to live in with your budget wanting to move say closer to the beach, South Florida like in Miami, or Ft Lauderdale, even Orlando, NOT in a "nicer" "safer" neighborhood, not those areas not for that money. Trust me, It's been over a year in the making to finalize my move and doing daily research for months.. it's gets tiresome, but you must do it, in order for it to work out.
I need a change in my life, willing to take a chance, and hoping for the very best, and that is how you must think as well... but if city life, neighborhoods and not being close to the beach, is not a big concern to you guys, I think you can make happen.. Really, what is the worst that could happen? You don't like the heat, the people, the food??? You can always move back home... Look into it ALL.
Florida is very diverse, which I love.. I love the different cultures, the people, the different foods, and music, love the beach also love the heat, so for me, I will be fine.
Take all these aspects into consideration. Even tho I don't live there yet, I have stayed in all parts of Florida. Orlando is very HOT. further south VERY HOT... AND Humid.. for me nice, for you??
think about everything, and not only the part of wanting to leave because you are sick of the weather. Unemployment in Florida is really high, but like I said, if your BF is ok staying with retail/customer service jobs, you guys will be OK
GOOD LUCK with your move!

Old 04-15-2013, 04:08 PM

161 posts, read 412,839 times
Try Volusia County, you should be able to find something in your budget close to the beach in nice areas.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:44 PM

3 posts, read 15,456 times
I'm pretty much doing this. Key West. Getting a new car and signing up for a mobile home. Got a lil money save but not much at all and im confident it'll work stay positive and it will

Old 04-16-2013, 07:37 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,036,553 times
Do you have any money saved to tide you over until your boyfriend finds a job? I cannot imagine that too many landlords will rent to you with your only income showing to be your $500 monthly disability. So, I would first plan to have enough funds to give a significant security deposit (unless your direction is to stay indefinitely in a cheap hotel). Another factor that you may need to consider is that the Florida economy is saturated with workers with a skill set similar to your BF- this means fewer jobs available & when one does become available, expect significant competition & plan on something closer to minimum wage. Also, a factor to consider, the Florida unskilled " blue collar" workforce is fueled by poor (sometimes illegal) Hispanic workers- those willing to work for significantly less as "independent contractors" (no taxes/benefits paid by employer).

Many can relate to not being happy at their quality of life not being to the level that they might wish it to be. In other words, you might be thinking to yourself that if you are going to be poor and unhappy, why not be poor in the sunshine? Making the anticipated move to Florida can only be successful if you are able to make enough money to survive. The sunshine and warmth won't do that for you. You would be much better served by bringing more to the table- learning a skilled trade. Without that, the odds of you finding happiness (once the novelty of continual sunshine and hot wears off), are very long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida