Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 08:06 AM

39 posts, read 191,299 times

Advertisements

Like pretty much the whole of the UK we have visited Florida on vacation and love it there, unlike most Brits however we have travelled around Florida and not simply centered around WDW.

The UK weather has been awful yet again and we can't face another winter over here, SO I am researching a possible extended vacation during December-Feb or Jan-March. We run our own business that doesn't fully require our physical presence if managed correctly, we can continue to earn our living remotely via the internet.

So I am looking into coming over to Florida over the dark cold rainy winter months to mostly relax and take it easy whilst remotely managing our business back in the UK.

I'm looking into costs and practicalities at the moment - will it actually be possible (and affordable) to move over for 2-3 months? My family consists of myself, my wife and our 2 years 3 month old daughter (or at least she will be that age by December)

Can I ask some questions?

We are easy on the location, we just need a nice relaxed environment to reside. Where could anyone suggest to fit the bill that would not cost a fortune? I am guessing inland would be cheaper than coastal but close to a beach would be amazing. Someone suggested Lakeland as it has lots of brits and is close to WDW should we want to take our daughter there but being near brits isn't important for us.

What websites would you recommend I look at for house rentals to get an idea of cost and location? I'd be looking for just a small 3 bed 2 bath place.

We would need to hire a car. On vacation we usually go with Dollar or Budget but over a long period this would be very expensive. Are there any other options for a longer rental term? Our daughter will also be just over 2 years old, what are the car seat requirements over there?

That's all for now, any help would be amazing.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 09:01 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,335,507 times
There are alot of Brits moving to Davenport in Polk County. You could also look at Flagler and St. John's county which are somewhat affordable coastal communities.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:03 AM

Thank you for the reply, I will check them out.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:15 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviduk View Post
Like pretty much the whole of the UK we have visited Florida on vacation and love it there, unlike most Brits however we have travelled around Florida and not simply centered around WDW.

The UK weather has been awful yet again and we can't face another winter over here, SO I am researching a possible extended vacation during December-Feb or Jan-March. We run our own business that doesn't fully require our physical presence if managed correctly, we can continue to earn our living remotely via the internet.

So I am looking into coming over to Florida over the dark cold rainy winter months to mostly relax and take it easy whilst remotely managing our business back in the UK.

I'm looking into costs and practicalities at the moment - will it actually be possible (and affordable) to move over for 2-3 months? My family consists of myself, my wife and our 2 years 3 month old daughter (or at least she will be that age by December)

Can I ask some questions?

We are easy on the location, we just need a nice relaxed environment to reside. Where could anyone suggest to fit the bill that would not cost a fortune? I am guessing inland would be cheaper than coastal but close to a beach would be amazing. Someone suggested Lakeland as it has lots of brits and is close to WDW should we want to take our daughter there but being near brits isn't important for us.

What websites would you recommend I look at for house rentals to get an idea of cost and location? I'd be looking for just a small 3 bed 2 bath place.

We would need to hire a car. On vacation we usually go with Dollar or Budget but over a long period this would be very expensive. Are there any other options for a longer rental term? Our daughter will also be just over 2 years old, what are the car seat requirements over there?

That's all for now, any help would be amazing.

Thanks
Location: Lakeland is boring to me and too far out from Orlando or Tampa. I would suggest looking around the Orlando area. However, you didn't tell me your budget, so I don't know if you could afford nice coastal cities.

Home Rentals: You can check out craigslist.com and vbro.com

Auto Rentals: Enterprise sometimes has deals for monthly rentals. You can also try Sixt Rent a Car.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:28 PM

564 posts, read 1,879,154 times
I wonder is a short term auto lease would be better for you?

Car seats-

Child Car Seat Requirements

Florida Seat Belt Laws

Old 03-19-2013, 06:12 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
What is your housing budget? That will help a lot in giving you ideas for different areas.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:06 AM

Thanks for the replies folks, I'm honestly not too sure about budget and it may come down to how well our business performs through the year. Would a £400 ($600) per week for accommodation and vehicle rental be enough?

Old 03-21-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies folks, I'm honestly not too sure about budget and it may come down to how well our business performs through the year. Would a £400 ($600) per week for accommodation and vehicle rental be enough?
No where close for peak season. You need to triple your budget. Your car rental will be at least $300

Old 03-21-2013, 11:19 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
It depends where you are. I definitely recommend Lakeland or elsewhere in Polk County since it is not "touristy", yet close enough to Tampa or Orlando for plenty to do. Most coastal cities will be out of your budget during the "season."

Old 03-21-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
It depends where you are. I definitely recommend Lakeland or elsewhere in Polk County since it is not "touristy", yet close enough to Tampa or Orlando for plenty to do. Most coastal cities will be out of your budget during the "season."
Gypsy, do you think they'll be able to find that including the car rental? I figured the car rental would cost them $300 per week which would only leave them $300 for accommodations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida