Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area is better for young couple moving to Florida?
West Coast? Tampa, Clearwater, etc 2 22.22%
East Coast? Miami, DelRay, West Palm Beach, etc 7 77.78%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 11:36 AM

8 posts, read 19,098 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

My husband and I are trying to fly away from the cold and corruption of the city of Chicago. We are thinking about moving to Florida but we have some concerns:
1. I need a cheap university to finish my bachelor (around $9000 per year or less would be great)
2. We would need jobs
3. We want to buy a medium size house for no more than $190,000
4. We are use to the big city and nice suburbs with community feel..do you know about a crime free zone with good schools?
5. Need to be a mostly walkable place (Chicago is so huge that my car became my third leg)
6. Close to the beach for swimming and fishing, with no worries of eating shellfish embedded in oil (beach no more than one hour away)

We are undecided about the place. We were looking at Tampa (my big concern: SInk Holes ) and also, West Palm Beach..but...the number one thing for us is the university. DO you know which is the cheapest university in the state? I know is a long list, but we are sure that Florida is the right place to emigrate from the cold...

Thank you in advance for all your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 02:52 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,211,665 times
Well, I would choose Palm Beach, because it is warmer, and I think the beaches in South Florida along the Atlantic are the best in the state. There are areas in Palm Beach County that are relatively cheap. I saw a couple on House Hunters buy a house of around $200,000. They renovated it, but the house came with a pool and a good sized yard. I think it was in Delray Beach. Anyways, here are some colleges in PBC:
-Florida Atlantic U in Boca Raton
-Palm Beach Atlantic U in West Palm Beach (it's a Christian school, not sure if you care about that)
-Digital Arts Media College in Boca Raton
-Nova Southeastern University (Palm Beach campus)

My dad has a friend that recommended Delray and Boynton Beaches, in terms of safety. I've also heard good things about the school system in Palm Beach County. In terms of Tampa, my dad likes it, but Tampa also has a higher crime rate than PBC. Best of luck, and I hope this helped!

Old 03-11-2013, 03:03 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,626,446 times
You have the cities backwards on your poll flip the east west around.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:54 PM

24,410 posts, read 26,971,175 times
South Florida has a much more vibrant nightlife and better beaches! (West Palm Beach -> Delray Beach -> Boca Raton -> Fort Lauderdale -> Miami)

Old 03-12-2013, 10:28 AM

663 posts, read 1,145,327 times
Well, what's more important, warm weather or a nice house?
South Fl is warmer, though still not warm enough.
Tampa is much more affordable. You can get a pretty nice house in he suburbs for $190,000.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:40 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,458,198 times
im so confused, i thought the gulf coast was to the west. have i been looking at my map in the mirror again?

Old 03-12-2013, 03:27 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,466,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
You have the cities backwards on your poll flip the east west around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
im so confused, i thought the gulf coast was to the west. have i been looking at my map in the mirror again?
Fixed it for you, but your poll may be off now since you had things mixed up with those 4 votes.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:46 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,697,821 times
East coast of FL. Better beaches, more to do, warmer climate, etc.

As far as affordable colleges and universities you have:
1. Florida Atlantic University in Boca Raton (Public state university).. I graduated from there
2. Florida International University in Miami (Public state university)
3. Palm Beach Atlantic University (Private Christian university...good Pharmacy program)
4. Lynn University (non-religious Private university)
5. Nova Southeastern University (non-religious private university)
6. Palm Beach State College (public school offering limited 4 year bachelor programs)
7. Broward College (public school offering limited 4 year bachelor programs)
9. Miami-Dade College (public school offering limited 4 year bachelor programs)
10. Barry University (Catholic university....private)

Good luck! and yay for leaving the cold winters of Chi-town
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida